Simmonds Extension

Guest sekkes85

I like Simmonds' physicality in front of the net. I haven't seen him being very defensively responsible, though admittedly I only saw about twenty Flyers games last season, so I didn't see them all. I was just comparing points production to other players of similar pay scale. The handful of names I brought up from the NHL stats website all seemed to be in the 2.5 - 3 million a year range for his production. On top of that, I was basing my question about if he's worth it on the fact that it's been one year's production. He's had several NHL seasons and not produced like this, but the Kings didn't give him the ice time he's gotten in Philly either. I see some skill there, but not enough to make me say this guy's a sure thing. Yes he's big, and fairly tough... just seemed like a lot to me when considering guys like Joe Pavelski, Milan Lucic, Ryan Callahan, Brad Stuart and Kronwall make that. I suppose the forwards in that list are only ten or so points ahead of Simmonds, but have proven themselves doing it more than one season. I know Simmonds MAY produce more and more, but I also know that he may not. THAT is why I asked if you all believed it was a good cap hit for him considering the talent you have moving up that will complete their entry level contracts during his years and any impacts it may have on signing them further down the road. Hence my saying I'm not sure if I would like it. I'm still not sure one way or the other.

@Polaris922

For a cap hit of 3.84m, 23/24 year old power forward that has scored 28 goals? Yea I like the contract and the cap hit.

you have a point though. It is one season we are basing all of this on. However, considering his age, the type of player (young power forward),and the fact that he has proven he can score 28 goals in the NHL (given the right linemates and PP time), I believe it is a risk worth taking.

@Polaris922

For a cap hit of 3.84m, 23/24 year old power forward that has scored 28 goals? Yea I like the contract and the cap hit.

you have a point though. It is one season we are basing all of this on. However, considering his age, the type of player (young power forward),and the fact that he has proven he can score 28 goals in the NHL (given the right linemates and PP time), I believe it is a risk worth taking.

Thanks for the reply. That's what I was looking for is Flyers fans' opinions with reasons. It's tough to evaluate another player sometimes based on a couple dozen games or whatever.

Reported.

You are really driving that record up for your pal Jack, aren't you now? And you haven't reported me even once. This is a classic case of nepotism, Mr. Podein... And I thought you were a fair, impartial, enough-blame-to-go-round guy... Way to get someone disappointed...

Not really seeing how that is high for what he brings?

Personally, I like the signing. He's my type of player, physical and can score you some goals. I'm sure many in this city would have an aneurysm because of their strange man-crush with Tyler Kennedy, but I would gladly take a 23-year old Simmonds who put up 28 goals last season at $4.0 per year over Kennedy at $2.0.

Wanna trade? Kennedy and Martin for Simmonds and a 3rd? :unsure:

Edited by Penguins-66

Personally, I like the signing. I'm sure many in this city would have an aneurysm because of their strange man-crush with Tyler Kennedy, but I would gladly take a 23-year old Simmonds who put up 28 goals last season at $4.0 per year over Kennedy at $2.0.

Wanna trade? Kennedy and Martin for Simmonds and a 3rd? :unsure:

I would pass on that trade. Simmonds is one of my favorite players. I will not be surprised to see him break 30 goals this season if he is on the top 2 lines. He would have last year but he was playing injured towards the end of the season and playoffs. Besides I can't get the picture of Kennedy licking his hockey stick like it was a candy cane out of my head.........

Finally some good Flyers news. Simmer is probably my favorite Flyer, even though he had a rather anonymous post-season. I guess the Flyers are banking on continued progress becoming a steady power forward and by the last 3-4 years of the deal, it hopefully will be a bargain.

While tall in stature, he is a bit light, but plays larger than his pounds. If anyone could get him 10 lbs of muscle heavier, he could be a really nice power forward to compliment Jakub.

as long as it does not adversly effect his skating, which is a big part of his game.

Maybe even 5 lbs. I agree with the skating. And truthfully, I would want 5 lbs of those in his legs and the other 5 upper body. He is a rail. Maybe 8 lbs would be enough (split). I don't want a Brashear, but the way he plays, a bit more muscle / strength would propel him to greater endurance. His tenacity is already there. His foot speed is pretty good, but it is his reaction timing that impresses me.

You are really driving that record up for your pal Jack, aren't you now? And you haven't reported me even once. This is a classic case of nepotism, Mr. Podein... And I thought you were a fair, impartial, enough-blame-to-go-round guy... Way to get someone disappointed...

Nepotism???!! Are you suggesting that I am related to that sheep molester?

REPORTED!

As you can tell by my avatar, I can't possibly like this move more. Simmer is the very definition of a Flyer; tough, mean and talented. I remember when he took a puck off his face to score a goal, got stitches and fought later that week. Just awesome.

I like this signing because he is great fit. But even more so because it seems that for the first time in a long time...maybe the Cup years, we are seeing a commitment to grow a cohort of young players together. That gives me hope for the future and doesn't make our D problems look so bad.

Best,

Howie

• Like 1

He is a rail. Maybe 8 lbs would be enough (split).

Yeah. He looks tall and skinny on the ice. He's got that wide-shouldered look typical of kids who could stand to gain a few pounds.