Worst trades in Wings history

Guest yave1964

Came up with a list of some of the Wings worst trades in history, wanna get other fans input.

1. Glenn Hall and Ted Lindsay to the Blackhawks for a bucket of pucks

2. John Bucyk to Boston for the remains of Terry Sawchuk

3. Adam Oates to the Blues for the ghost of Bernie Federko (and we also gave up Paul MacClean!).

4. Mike Foligno, Dale McCourt and Brent Peterson to the Sabres for Danny Gare, Jim Schoenfeld and Derek Smith.

5. John Ogrodnick to Quebec for Brent Ashton.

6. Robert Lang from capitals for Thomas Fleischman and a first round pick, Washington took Mike Green.

7.Cheveldae and Dallas Drake to the Jets for Bob Essensa.

8. Adam Graves, Petr Klima, and Joe Murphy for Jimmy Carson.

9. Marcel Dionne to the Kings for Dan Maloney and Terry Harper.

10.Gary Unger to the Blues for Red Berendson (Tie) and Don Luce to the Sabres for nothing

That is my list, anyone have anything to add to it? Of the bunch, which do you think was the worst? Crybaby Dionne whining his way out of town ranks really high on my list, the Foligno deal was a wreck. Oates for one season of Federko. Over all, a real mess, I know every organization has their own list, but I would put ours against almost anyones.....

@yave1964....#5 full deal was Wings get Mark Kumpel, Brent Ashton, Gilbert Delorme Wings give up Basil McRae, John Ogrodnick, Doug Shedden to the Nordiques.

Also...not that it made it fair, but I believe #3 trade with Oates the Wings also got Tony McKegney.

I had the craven/Sittler deal on the list, just not enough room, Went right past the Mahavolich deal, not sure how I missed that one, ugh. Yeah, Tony Mac did come over in that deal, still have his hockey card with the air brushed Red Wings helmet on it, he was there about five seconds before we donated him to Quebec.

@yave1964 Little off topic for this thread, but just wanted to throw this in...why does no one talk about Reed Larson? Just a phenomal defenseman. One of the best shots of the late 70's and early 80's.....9 straight seasons of 60+ pts from 76 to 85. You just never hear his name tossed around, and that's a shame, history has not been kind to this great player. He played at the same time as Denis Potvin, Larry Robinson, Serge Savard and Guy Lapointe among others, so perhaps he got overshadowed by those superstars, but he does not recieve his just due. That guy had an absolute cannon from the point. Really good skater also.

When the Wings finally let him go in the Boston trade for Mike O'Connel, his game fell apart and he retried from the NHL 2 years later, so good timing on the Wings part. Think he played a few more seasons after that in Europe, but his stats sucked over there, was never the same after he left the Wings. Mike O'Connel was pretty much a non factor for the Wings also, so a nothing deal really.

I loved Reed Larson, played a Physical game, wicked shot from the point, a true Potvin type of player. He along with Paul Woods, Dale McCourt and Willie Huber represented the promise of the late 70s that never panned out. He was the best of all of them. He faced the bigotry of the time, being from the United states was looked down upon then, it was still considered a Canadien game, and folks like him and Carpenter, the USA olympians broke the barrier down. Yeah, he was fun to watch.

@yave1964That is hilarious you mentioned Paul Woods, my favourtie Wing of the seventies. Only broke the 20 goal barrier once, and don't think he ever got 50 points....but WOW, did he play the game the way it was supposed to be played! I view him as a Bobby Clarke type guy with less talent and a third line role. Never, ever took a shift off, but he skated better than Bobby ever could have. Really respected what this guy brought to the rink everyday. One of the best work ethics to ever lace up skates!

Even though I'm a Flyer fan, my geographic closeness to the Wings, (can see the Joe from my building..lol, and have read the Free Press every day since the mid seventies) has allowed me to view the Wings from a nice perspective over the years...the pleasure has been all mine.

Edited by jammer2

Woodsie was our Bob Gainey, a guy who didnt score a ton of goals but did everything else right. Too bad that instead of surrounding him with the 1970s Habs he was surrounded by guys like Perry Miller, Polo, Hextall, Rogie and their ilk.