Interesting take...

Guest DaGreatGazoo

This is a interesting read...first time I've hearing of several points the author makes. Figured it was worth posting.

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2012/8/16/3247491/how-the-nhls-big-markets-use-the-cba-to-bankrupt-the-small-markets

This sentence jumped out at me: The NHL's proposal to reduce the % of Hockey Related Revenue allocated to the players to 46% may go some way to accomplishing that but it doesn't solve the fundamental problem that some teams in the league can't get fans into their buildings at a competitive ticket price, and any proposal that does not address the revenue problem that the small market teams have isn't going to make them financially solvent.

@DaGreatGazoo Nice find DGG, confirms some of my thoughts on the subject, this paragraph sums it up pretty nicely!

"What it comes down to is this: once the players' share of HRR has been set, the only remaining question is how it gets divvied up among them. The NHL's proposal would result in money tending to be concentrated in older veterans, but that doesn't help the small market teams because as long as they're required to spend a certain amount on salaries each year there's no real financial advantage for them in having to spend that money on expensive older UFAs rather than their own young players. They're still going to be spending more money than they're earning, and none of these proposals changes that. Just like the previous CBA, this one is designed to make the big markets more money. Everything else is just window dressing."

Basically there are 8-10 huge money making power brokers who dictate the terms of this league. Bettteman knows who they are and snuggles up to them at all costs. Like I said before, he knows where his bread is buttered. The small market teams exist to drive up the profit margins of the 8-10 leaders, they are essentially their little money making "bitc**s. The NHL has no plans on changing this, in fact it's encouraged for the small market teams to lose money, to the point where the NHL itself, through the big spenders will take over a team for 5 years and drag the process on, in an attempt to stall a team from leaving and making them more money. This is all accomplished through the salary cap floor requriement.

This is why guys like Basilile would never be allowed into the little club, he would make to much noise if he was not in the 8-10 leader bracket and expose them for what they are....a legalized mafia where the underlings pay homage to the "dons" by ponying up their cash.....even to the extent where they go bankrupt in the process.

@DaGreatGazoo Nice find DGG, confirms some of my thoughts on the subject, this paragraph sums it up pretty nicely!

"What it comes down to is this: once the players' share of HRR has been set, the only remaining question is how it gets divvied up among them. The NHL's proposal would result in money tending to be concentrated in older veterans, but that doesn't help the small market teams because as long as they're required to spend a certain amount on salaries each year there's no real financial advantage for them in having to spend that money on expensive older UFAs rather than their own young players. They're still going to be spending more money than they're earning, and none of these proposals changes that. Just like the previous CBA, this one is designed to make the big markets more money. Everything else is just window dressing."

Basically there are 8-10 huge money making power brokers who dictate the terms of this league. Bettteman knows who they are and snuggles up to them at all costs. Like I said before, he knows where his bread is buttered. The small market teams exist to drive up the profit margins of the 8-10 leaders, they are essentially their little money making "bitc**s. The NHL has no plans on changing this, in fact it's encouraged for the small market teams to lose money, to the point where the NHL itself, through the big spenders will take over a team for 5 years and drag the process on, in an attempt to stall a team from leaving and making them more money. This is all accomplished through the salary cap floor requriement.

This is why guys like Basilile would never be allowed into the little club, he would make to much noise if he was not in the 8-10 leader bracket and expose them for what they are....a legalized mafia where the underlings pay homage to the "dons" by ponying up their cash.....even to the extent where they go bankrupt in the process.

But would we really care if Columbus, New Jersey, NY Islanders, Nashville, FLorida, and Phoenix ceased to exist?

The remaining 24 teams would be much stronger, and have a much higher talent level. I betcha the games would be more fun to watch.

On top of that, shrink the season down to, say 65-70 games, remove the 3-point games/loser point, and things would get real interesting. ;)

one of the comments from a Maple Leaf Fan....LMAO

"..or just have them continuously win lotteries for franchise players.....coughPittsburghcough..."

That from a guy who's spending an average of $123 a ticket to see the NHL's equivalent of the Pittsburgh Pirates. ;) If we'd had their money all along Patrick was a smart enough GM we wouldn't have been in the position we were! LOL

And I think for a small market, we're 1/6 the size of Philly... we're doing okay now. We're actually not far behind you guys in the sellout streak.

That's it... I'm chanting '67 at every Maple Leafs game now !!