NFL.com ranks best sports jerseys of 2012

Guest Poulin20

When it comes to the NHL, I've always been a fan of the Maple Leaf jerseys. Quite frankly, I don't like our current colors or jersey design. Personally, I think we should go back to these...

ccm_pittsburgh_penguins_vintage_jersey.jpg

I'm the opposite. I think the yellow is too gaudy and I'm quite fond of what we use now.

I like the description of the Flyers as dated and timeless at the same time. It harkens back to the glory days of the Broad Street Bullies and represents the continuation of the tradition today.

Also, I'm told orange is quickly becoming the new "in" colour.

I'm the opposite. I think the yellow is too gaudy and I'm quite fond of what we use now.

see, and I'm the opposite. I hate when teams have "colors" but then they go with a black uniform with the team's "colors" used merely as accent pieces. Or when they had perfectly fine colors and switch to black because for a time it was "cool" (looking at you buffalo... at least they came to their senses eventually) I for one HATED WITH A PASSION!!!!! when the Flyers had just the black jerseys and the whites with no orange. and I was happier than ever when they ditched those uni's and went back to orange. Wasn't a fan of the futuristic orange jersey and am definitely a fan of the 'traffic cone orange' they have now. I know they are referred to as the O&B but how in the world did they ever justify dropping the "O" for all those years? I'll never know. If I was a Pens fan, the only thing that would bother me about the jersey you oppose is it looks very similar to the Bruins yellow jersey. But then again, what are you gonna do? they have the same damn colors.

see, and I'm the opposite. I hate when teams have "colors" but then they go with a black uniform with the team's "colors" used merely as accent pieces. Or when they had perfectly fine colors and switch to black because for a time it was "cool" (looking at you buffalo... at least they came to their senses eventually) I for one HATED WITH A PASSION!!!!! when the Flyers had just the black jerseys and the whites with no orange. and I was happier than ever when they ditched those uni's and went back to orange. Wasn't a fan of the futuristic orange jersey and am definitely a fan of the 'traffic cone orange' they have now. I know they are referred to as the O&B but how in the world did they ever justify dropping the "O" for all those years? I'll never know. If I was a Pens fan, the only thing that would bother me about the jersey you oppose is it looks very similar to the Bruins yellow jersey. But then again, what are you gonna do? they have the same damn colors.

Yeah but Pittsburgh IS black & gold... So I like the black we use now. I've got jersies going back far enough but refuse to buy the blue.

Wasn't a fan of the futuristic orange jersey

I'm more of an old-school jersey fan in the first place, so the "futuristic" look doesn't do it for me.

I'm still trying to figure out why they went with the vegas gold rather than keeping the "real" colors of Pittsburgh (Steelers, Pirates, the city flag). Changing the design is one thing, changing the color was just wrong in my book. I refuse to purchase a new Penguins jersey until they change back to the original gold and get rid of the vegas gold.

Edited by Penguins-66

rather than keeping the "real" colors of Pittsburgh (Steelers, Pirates, the city flag)

that is always one thing I thought was kinda cool, the entire city has the same theme going on. I'm so used to seeing my football team in green and my baseball in red and my hockey in orange that I don't think I could look at it any other way but when I realized that Pitts had the same colors for all of their teams I thought it was pretty cool. Any other city have all of their major franchise's rocking the same color scheme?

I thought it was pretty cool.

It was also pretty convenient when it came to color coordinating your sports gear. If you wanted to wear a Steelers or Pirates cap with a Penguins jersey, you could pull it off. With the tacky vegas gold, it's not so easy.

Any other city have all of their major franchise's rocking the same color scheme?

Off the top of my head, I can't think of another city that has the same color scheme for every one of their sports franchises.

that is always one thing I thought was kinda cool, the entire city has the same theme going on. I'm so used to seeing my football team in green and my baseball in red and my hockey in orange that I don't think I could look at it any other way but when I realized that Pitts had the same colors for all of their teams I thought it was pretty cool. Any other city have all of their major franchise's rocking the same color scheme?

Pittsbugrh is, I think, the only one with three that have the exact same motif.

I've always liked that consistent theme.

Washington comes close with the "red" across teams - and the requisite red/white/blue for the Wizards, Caps and Nats - but the 'Skins are burgundy (not "red") and gold (no blue). That red/white/blue scheme was both manufactured and freaking obvious though :-)

And in Buffalo, the Sabres wear blue, the Bills wear blue and the fans are all blitzed on Blue... :ph34r:

• Like 1

@radoran I always wondered why a big city like Buffalo has no MLB or NBA team, just no interest or (UGGGH!) are they all Jays fans or something?

Well, it's not as "big" as it used to be. Really only about 1.5M in all of Western New York now west of Rochester.

They have the Mets' AAA squad and the stadium that was built is "designed" to allow expansion to accomodate a MLB team (allegedly).

The NBA was in Buffalo, but the Buffalo Braves are now the Los Angeles Clippers (much as the Syracuse Nationals are the 76ers).

They also have a MLL team (the Bandits - colours: orange and black lol).

I just don't know/think that the area has enough money to supprt another major franchise.

They are slavish about the Bills and Sabres, though. I almost guarantee you can find a "Bills bar" in just about any city in the country (my brother wandered into one in Asheville, NC by mistake lol).

Well, it's not as "big" as it used to be. Really only about 1.5M in all of Western New York now west of Rochester.

They have the Mets' AAA squad and the stadium that was built is "designed" to allow expansion to accomodate a MLB team (allegedly).

The NBA was in Buffalo, but the Buffalo Braves are now the Los Angeles Clippers (much as the Syracuse Nationals are the 76ers).

They also have a MLL team (the Bandits - colours: orange and black lol).

I just don't know/think that the area has enough money to supprt another major franchise.

They are slavish about the Bills and Sabres, though. I almost guarantee you can find a "Bills bar" in just about any city in the country (my brother wandered into one in Asheville, NC by mistake lol).

What Rad said is pretty darn accurate. I can vouch for this as I lived in Buffalo for 9 years for grad school and for a few years of a job thereafter. The economy (or lack thereof) could never support 4 teams. Heck when I was looking at houses there (before I lost my job and moved back to Philly) you could get one for 75-85K if you were looking for a starter house. Taxes (sales and state income) are very high as well which doesnt help the economy there.

The Braves failed there and the AAA team doesnt get great attendance IMHO. (Also there is no way an MLB team could move in there it is way too small and I dont see how they have the room to expand as the ballpark is in the middle of downtown) It is a football town with hockey not far behind. The reason I say this is the Bills have not been good in a while and get a rabid following and great attendance whereas the Sabres tend to lose followers when the chips are down. There were big spikes in people who called themselves sabres fans after they went to the Finals and lost vs Dallas and then again when they trounced us the year after the last lockout and eventually went on to lose to the Canes in the ECF.