THN predicts Habs will finish in 13th place

Guest hf101

The Hockey News’s annual Yearbook is on newstands now and the magazine is predicting that the Canadiens will finish in 13th place in the Eastern Conference and miss the playoffs again.

THN predicts that Pittsburgh will finish first in the Eastern Conference, followed by Boston, Washington, the New York Rangers, Philadelphia, Tampa Bay, Buffalo and Ottawa as the eight playoff teams.

In the Western Conference it’s St. Louis, followed by Vancouver, Los Angeles, Chicago, Minnesota, San Jose, Detroit and Nashville.

In the Stanley Cup final, THN predicts Vancouver will beat Pittsburgh

THN also has its annual list of the Top 50 Players in the NHL in its Yearbook, and Max Pacioretty was the only Canadien to make it, coming in at No. 44.

Pacioretty is coming off a season in which he led the Canadiens in scoring with 33-32-65 totals and won the Masterton Trophy for perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication to hockey.

“He responded to a devastating injury by being more robust and scoring 33 goals,” THN writes.

Pittsburgh’s Evgeni Malkin was No. 1 on the THN list. Others making the top 10, in order, were: Tampa Bay’s Steven Stamkos, Pittsburgh’s Sidney Crosby, Philadelphia’s Claude Giroux, Los Angeles’s Jonathan Quick and Drew Doughty, Minnesota’s Zach Parise, L.A.’s Anze Kopitar, Boston’s Zdeno Chara and the Rangers’ Henrik Lundqvist.

http://www.hockeyins...finish-in-13th-

Shocking that Subban isn't in the top 50. :P

THN has the Habs ahead of both the Jets and Isles. Frankly, I dont see it. Not trolling, but a few forwards, Subban, and the brilliant Carey Price are not enough to cover up for too many young prospects who are too young and inexperienced, veterans past their prime and castoffs playing for a paycheck. Frankly, I see them battling for the worst record in the game, and shooting for a lottery pick next year.

I posted elsewhere that the best thing they could do is trade Price to fill three or so holes, but look at the poor return the Jackets got for Nash, the non interest in Luongo, the unflattering offers for Ryan that the ducks are entertaining, trades are getting harder to make. Add in the fact that trading Price would look like Patrick Roy all over again, it wont happen. Trading Subban will fill a hole or two while creating a gaping one. Not really sure where this organization needs to go to turn it around but they are sadly a mess.

Pens first in the east? Maybe... losing to Vancouver?? Never!!

Honestly I'm susprised they picked the Pens so high. I know Crosby is back, and hopefully healthy for a full season, but a lot of THN's writers were making big deals out of Staal leaving. I'm surprised they would put the Pens ahead of the Rangers with acquiring Nash.

Haha real cool of you guys to come onto a Habs thread and rip them... luckily this isn't a Habs site or else you'd be torn into pieces :) Maybe I'll make a thread in the Flyers Forum just about how their season is already gone down the toilets with all of the injury problems... anyways, moving on...

About the top 50 thing... I think its a crime that Price was snubbed over guys like Backes, Pietrangelo, McDonagh, Pominville, LANDESKOG, and even Brodeur... Broduer is the greatest of all time, don't get me wrong, but he's finished.. I would even go on a limb and say he's not even a top 10 goalie any more (Lundqvist, Quick, Rinne, Price, Ward, Luongo, Thomas, Miller, Fluery and Schniedner)....

• Like 1

@habsguy26 Who woulda thunk it, crucified for making Habs jokes :)

"Maybe I'll make a thread in the Flyers Forum just about how their season is already gone down the toilets with all of the injury problems... anyways, moving on"

We do quite well on our own ripping up the Flyers, but feel free to pile on!! :)

Brodeur took his rag tag band of offensively challenged warriors to the Stanlely Cup finals....while Carey was golfing....just say'in.

Habsguy,

Dont get me wrong, I am a wings fan, first and foremost. Every year, I root for original six if the Wings cant do it. I fell in love with hockey in the seventies, Horrible Wings teams, and was just fascinated with how the game could be played when you had an amazing collection of talent like Lefluer, Shutt, Lemaire, a Mahovolich or two, Larouche, Dryden and Bunny, Gainey, three hall of fame d-men, and the greatest coach who ever coached a game, (with apologies to Toe Blake). They fascinated me, how one organization could have so much talent, year in and year out. Good lord, I forgot guys like Mario, Risebrough, Chartraw, and who knows who else. The greatest team I ever saw.

Then when I got married, the wife and I made a pilgrimage to Montreal to watch a game, went to Toronto, Buffalo, Winnipeg and Chicago on a nine day honeymoon (Screwed up and didnt go to quebec, to my everlasting regret). Going to Montreal, hearing the broadcast in french, watching the nightly news recap a game against my beloved Wings over and over in french was the highlight of the entire trip.

Just saying this organization is on very hard times, seems rudderless, no plan, dont know where they are going or how they are getting there. And some of the best fans in hockey deserve so much more.

@yave1964 Although I detest the Habs, I feel the same way as you, I have always respected that org.....and yeah, the Habs team of the late seventies was the best team I ever saw also. They would have destroyed the Oiler or Islander teams of the 80's IMHO....better goaltending and MUCH better defense.

@habsguy26 Who woulda thunk it, crucified for making Habs jokes :)

"Maybe I'll make a thread in the Flyers Forum just about how their season is already gone down the toilets with all of the injury problems... anyways, moving on"

We do quite well on our own ripping up the Flyers, but feel free to pile on!! :)

Brodeur took his rag tag band of offensively challenged warriors to the Stanlely Cup finals....while Carey was golfing....just say'in.

Offense was 15th in the league, wouldn't call that challenged, more or so ''average'',,,, your point about the final is kinda mis-concepting, While Brodeur was playing, Rinne, Lundqvist and others were golfing too... (btw Carey doesn't golf in the summer, he goes home and competes in rodeos.. something Habs brass wishes he didn't do lol) I also remember a time where a goalie named Micheal Leighton was playing in the cup final while the rest of the best were at home watching. Just sayin'....

Just saying, if the tables were turned and this site was dominated by Habs fans who had posted a thread ripping on the flyers, would you not be a little annoyed? When people say how bad we are when really we have drastically improved this summer by adding player friendly brass and coaches (give or take Therrien), Montreal will be a place players will be lining up to play in. You wait.

@yave1964 I wish I was around for those teams... luckily I have a box set of "The 10 most memorable games in Canadiens' history" that came out for the centennial.

@habsguy26 Yeah, I'd be a bit annoyed with a bunch of Habs fans slamming the Flyers on a Habs dominated board....lol. Point taken, like fc stated, we were just getting some jabs in on the other Habs poster, the hockey genius Duhfoy or whatever his name is. I do really hate the Habs, but I respect history and great players, so nothing but props for that org when it's all said and done.

Offense was 15th in the league, wouldn't call that challenged, more or so ''average'',,,, your point about the final is kinda mis-concepting, While Brodeur was playing, Rinne, Lundqvist and others were golfing too... (btw Carey doesn't golf in the summer, he goes home and competes in rodeos.. something Habs brass wishes he didn't do lol) I also remember a time where a goalie named Micheal Leighton was playing in the cup final while the rest of the best were at home watching. Just sayin'....

Just saying, if the tables were turned and this site was dominated by Habs fans who had posted a thread ripping on the flyers, would you not be a little annoyed? When people say how bad we are when really we have drastically improved this summer by adding player friendly brass and coaches (give or take Therrien), Montreal will be a place players will be lining up to play in. You wait.

@yave1964 I wish I was around for those teams... luckily I have a box set of "The 10 most memorable games in Canadiens' history" that came out for the centennial.

If nothing else... Therein brings two pretty ladies with him. Don't be around his daughter if she's driving in the snow. And if his 29 year old model "nanny" is around, remind her to not leave her purse on the roof of her car. Otherwise enjoy the views.

@habsguy26 Yeah, I'd be a bit annoyed with a bunch of Habs fans slamming the Flyers on a Habs dominated board....lol. Point taken, like fc stated, we were just getting some jabs in on the other Habs poster, the hockey genius Duhfoy or whatever his name is. I do really hate the Habs, but I respect history and great players, so nothing but props for that org when it's all said and done.

I agree that Defoy might have been acting like an idiot.. but his grammar and the way he says things makes me think he might be in his early - mid teens. Which is why I don't really take anything he says seriously. Comparing Subban to Weber is just wrong in many ways.

Haha real cool of you guys to come onto a Habs thread and rip them...

Thank you much! ;)

Well, the article was written by a Canadiens blogger on his own website. I only made the assumption that if Pacx was the only Hab on the list.....which then meant Subban wasn't. Timing is everything. :D

I was surprised though that Price wasn't on the list, but Brodeur did take the Devils to Stanley Cup Final and that does have merit.

Thank you much! ;)

Well, the article was written by a Canadiens blogger on his own website. I only made the assumption that if Pacx was the only Hab on the list.....which then meant Subban wasn't. Timing is everything. :D

I was surprised though that Price wasn't on the list, but Brodeur did take the Devils to Stanley Cup Final and that does have merit.

I'm not surprised. I like the kid but as discussed before I don't think he's anything special.

I'm not surprised. I like the kid but as discussed before I don't think he's anything special.

Carey Price isn't special? LOL! If not for him Montreal would have had top pick, no doubt and would have finished with about 8 wins.. He'll also be suiting up for Team Canada in Sochi as the starter as M.A Fluery watches from the bench/pressbox ;)

Thank you much! ;)

Leighton took the Flyers to the cup final, was he one of the top players in 09-10? Nope. Not even close. Brodeur is done, I don't think there was any reason why he should have come back next season, he would be helping the Devils by staying off the ice. IMO. I understand he loves the game and the Devils, but c'mon, give them a shot at Mackinnon next draft and then you can replace Lamorello or something later on.

Brodeur is done, I don't think there was any reason why he should have come back next season, he would be helping the Devils by staying off the ice. IMO. I understand he loves the game and the Devils, but c'mon, give them a shot at Mackinnon next draft and then you can replace Lamorello or something later on.

In essence Brodeur will hold a position in the Devils organization for years. I think the reason he signed a two year contract is partly because he still believes he can play and also to buy time for the Devils to stabilize financially and give their current prospects some time to prove themselves. Also Brodeur signed I think before Parise decided to leave, which may have been part of the scenario needed to try to retain Parise.