Sabres give Doan what he wants

Canadian Sabres

According to report on twitter the Sabres have given an offer of 4 years 30million to RW Shane Doan

@theScore: Report: Sabres offer RW Shane Doan a 4-year / $30 million contract. http://t.co/cLOybhzK

Is there anything the Sabres won't do to improve their team?

All that's left is the waiting game to see if he wi sign as in the report the Couotes want him on a 2 year deal

This I a significant move for buffalo as it gives the a veteran winger who can still be a potent threat in scoring and have playoff experience making it all the way to the west finals with the yotes this past year

Thoughts?

This has bad new written all over it! I'm not overly concerned because he isn't leaving Phoenix anyways, but not a good sign the Sabres have not learned their lesson (Leino). If by some miracle Doan does come here then the Sabres just slapped the handcuffs on themselves for the next four years. I know Doan is an excellent leader, but I don't see what paying a 35 year old winger who will score around 20 goals 7.5 million dollars, when center is the major need.

I don't think he is what will put your team over the top. I agree with @pegulavill26 in regards to Leino; it just seems like they are spending money to spend money.

Besides he is over 35 which means that hard number is for the entire contract.

Two words: CHRIS PRONGER.

• Like 1

Wow.

I can totally respect an owner who is willing to open up the wallet and I realize the FA market is completely barren of high-caliber talent, but you have to spend that money wisely. I'm fairly certain he will sign with Phoenix, but the fact that Pegula and Regier are actually willing to dish out that type of a deal to a player like Doan is a little scary.

Edited by Penguins-66
  • Like 1

This has bad new written all over it! I'm not overly concerned because he isn't leaving Phoenix anyways, but not a good sign the Sabres have not learned their lesson (Leino). If by some miracle Doan does come here then the Sabres just slapped the handcuffs on themselves for the next four years. I know Doan is an excellent leader, but I don't see what paying a 35 year old winger who will score around 20 goals 7.5 million dollars, when center is the major need.

Doan is a player who can carry a team.....Leino needs a team to carry him..........The money is still ridiculous though. It could be that all of these players hurrying to get their contracts in before the new CBA are figuring in the 15 to 20 percent expected roll back....

Doan is a player who can carry a team

Can he really carry a team though?? Don't get me wrong he's a great player, but not carry the team type player. He's had 30 goals twice and averages around 20 goals a season for his career. He has great leadership skills, but that puts a team over the top when they already have a solid team. Crosby, Malkin, Datsyuk, Toews, and Stamkos those guys carry teams. I personally wouldn't pay Doan more than 5 million esp at 36. I agree with you on the money point, these player contracts are way out of hand.

Can he really carry a team though??

Take him out of the equation last year and the Yotes don't even make the playoffs. He leads by example. How would you feel if his signing money was 6 mil per? That is what it will be if they roll back the salaries by 20 percent.....

Take him out of the equation last year and the Yotes don't even make the playoffs. He leads by example. How would you feel if his signing money was 6 mil per? That is what it will be if they roll back the salaries by 20 percent.....

True Yotes are toast without him. 6 mil is tough, depends on the team. Buffalo no way because thats not what they need right now, they need a center and more scoring. If i was say Vancouver or Philly or Pitt or Detroit, I would probably do it, but not like it. I'd be ok with 2 years 6 million to 6.5, but at 4 to 5 years 6 million thats a bit much. However that's how contracts are done now he will get 4 years and 6+ somewhere.

@Penguins-66 I've been saying that forever! Just cause you have cap space, does not mean you have to spend it! Leino is a fine example. What were the scouts thinking recommending him? He's a guy who leech's off creaative guys, not a guy who creates!

I think Bertmega said it best, "it just seems like they are spending money to spend money.".

Ever since Pegula took over the team, he promised to spend more money. From an outsider looking in, it seems as if he's trying too hard to make up for the failures and lack of spending by former ownership. Rather than spending wisely, he's simply throwing cash around (Leino) in order to appease the great sports fans of Buffalo.

They deserve better in my opinion.

I'm not keen on the inner workings of the Buffalo Sabres organization, but I am fairly certain that dishing out $7.5 million on a 4-year deal to Shane Doan is not a smart move. I don't care if Shane Doan was capable of sacking Rome while "leading" the Huns or conquering the Persian Empire with Alexander, he is not worth that type of money or length.

This guy is not Crosby. He's not Malkin. He's not Stamkos. $7.5 million for Doan is absolutely comical in my opinion.

Edited by Penguins-66

@Penguins-66 Agreed, it is a joke! Doan is the finishing touch on a contender who has a load of cap space....not sure that animal existis, but Detriot might be close. He's not gonna take you to the promised land, he's a hard working 20 goal guy who plays with grit and character....nothing more, nothing less. If the Sabres think he's a saviour, they got another thing coming. I'd love him on the Flyers for a resonable price, but so far, this whole Doan thing has been hilarious.

Id be nice but i just dont see it haappening. Might not be worth it for the $$ either.

Welcome! I think Doan is a great leader and complimentary forward. He's got a lot to bring to the table, but if he's going to be your big points scorer you're in trouble. Especially at that price.

OK, here's how this *might* make sense for the Sabres. I think Pegula wants to take a shot at it with the current core they have before they go FA. This team looks built to try to "win now"

Looking at the team frm the team's perspective: strong, deep defense; solid goalie; young, with potential, offense and experienced leadership core.

Salary-wise, the Sabres have Miller, Vanek and Pominville UFA in two seasons as is Ott. Regher/Leopold come off after next.

A core Sabres crew that has finally cut the likes of Hecht, Connolly and Roy adds Shane Doan, who has lead his team to the Conference Final, and Steve Ott. That, for me, is a win/win/win/win/win.

Top six? - Vanek, Pominville, Doan, Stafford, Hodgson, Ennis - that's the makings of two solid scoring lines

Next six? - Ott, Leino, Gerbe, Kaleta, Ellis and three recent first round picks (the two Gs and Arnia) before even looking at what else is in the AHL.

The commitment is a large one, but I don't see it crippling the franchise and the upside, for Buffalo, is huge, Buffalo - HUGE. :D

@radoran That's a pretty decent line-up you listed there, decent, but not great by any stretch of the imagination. They are going to be right in the thick of things for that 8th playoff spot. They really need Doan to take the next step, don't think they have enough firepower without him. Not unless Hodgson turns into a legit #1 center overnight and Ennis really turns up the production. Really, really like the additon of Ott and getting rid of guys like Hecht, Connolly, and Roy (vastly overrated IMHO) is simple additon by subtraction. Good for them to get the dead wood off that roster..finally!

@radoran That's a pretty decent line-up you listed there, decent, but not great by any stretch of the imagination. They are going to be right in the thick of things for that 8th playoff spot. They really need Doan to take the next step, don't think they have enough firepower without him. Not unless Hodgson turns into a legit #1 center overnight and Ennis really turns up the production. Really, really like the additon of Ott and getting rid of guys like Hecht, Connolly, and Roy (vastly overrated IMHO) is simple additon by subtraction. Good for them to get the dead wood off that roster..finally!

Oh, I agree, I don't think that Doan is a guaranteed "put Buffalo on the Cup" move - but I can see where they want to take their shot in the next two years to determine which of Miller/Vanek/Pominville they want to keep (I'd go with Miller then Pominville then Vanek - dealing Vanek's rights if possible...)

The question in Buffao for years has been who's the 1/2 Center. If - and I admit it is a Big "if" - Hodgson/Ennis/whoever steps up and provides the dsitrbution for the wings, Buffalo's offense rises considerably.

It's a risk for Buffalo, but a four-year risk with high upside and low downside.

• 2 weeks later...