List the NHL's Worst Divers

hf101

@hf101

Ahh yes.. some of his more memorable moments in his youth. I will defend a couple in there but not the majority. The third one it's the stick across the back of the head that hurt. The spear against the Islanders would have put me down too. And the slash across the wrist hurts your boys put on him in front of the net. The other four or five I think are true embellishments. I think Crosby was horrible about it in his youth, but I also think he gets a lot of stick work on him, especially from your beloved Flyers ;) Maybe that's why he hacked at Giroux so much? A little "how do you like it?" LOL

I really would like to see the Diver list made and updated as the season goes along for the refs. I think the embarrassment would help take a lot of the diving out of the game. As I've been looking through these videos....they are hilarious,......and they have to be taken out of the game.

Forsberg brought out the worst in Crosby in his first couple of seasons. Crosby has the diving reputation and it isn't easily changed. I agree though he is better diver than before. :P ....gets caught less.

The refs have to be partially to blame here in most of these cases, they can't give out a penalty every time a stick touches a player and he falls down.

1st one, gets knocked off balance. Not a dive. 2nd one, clear dive. 3rd one, gets tripped up and dives to push the puck forward to another Canuck. I'm not saying he never dives, but to say he belongs near the top is completely ignorant.

There's also no way in hell i see this list actually happening.

I really would like to see the Diver list made and updated as the season goes along for the refs. I think the embarrassment would help take a lot of the diving out of the game. As I've been looking through these videos....they are hilarious,......and they have to be taken out of the game.

Forsberg brought out the worst in Crosby in his first couple of seasons. Crosby has the diving reputation and it isn't easily changed. I agree though he is better diver than before. :P ....gets caught less.

The refs have to be partially to blame here in most of these cases, they can't give out a penalty every time a stick touches a player and he falls down.

I like the list idea. I like it a lot. But I'm skeptical it'll happen.

@BrowntoBure

They're all dives. Knocked off balance? I've seen guys shot that don't go down like that. The third one I thought maybe... Just maybe he lost balance but he embellishes it too much.

All those examples of Hartnell just show he is not a great skater. Hence the @hartnelldown charity.

He never shoots his head back he just falls down. As they say "You would love him if he was on YOUR team!

Let's face it, higher talent players spend their lives under the microscope.

Bingo.

Lemieux was known as a "whiner" and "crybaby". Sound familiar?

Yeah, that didn't get old and lame. *yawn*

As a Penguins fan, it doesn't even bother me these days. At the end of the day, I mark it down mainly as pure jealousy and in some cases - utter stupidity. When Crosby dives, he's a career diver. When some lower-level player or no-talent thug decides to take a dive, it's either completely ignored or some lame excuse is fabricated and all is forgotten. Very convenient.

When a player like Ovechkin or M. Richards decide to cry to the officials or take a dive, they're just "being team captains" or "playing smart hockey by buying the call".

At the end of the day, I don't even bother fighting Crosby's case. Much like with a thousand other young athletes, he's matured over the length of his career. It happens. Fighting his case is simply not worth it in my book. I prefer to enjoy his cup win and highlight goals. Much like with Lemieux, I will gladly take him on my roster any day of the week, along with the personal hardware and cup wins. ;)

Edited by Penguins-66
  • Like 2

Bingo.

As a Penguins fan, it doesn't even bother me these days. At the end of the day, I mark it down mainly as pure jealousy and in some cases - utter stupidity. When Crosby dives, he's a career diver. When some lower-level player or no-talent thug decides to take a dive, it's either completely ignored or some lame excuse is fabricated and all is forgotten. Very convenient.

When a player like Ovechkin or M. Richards decide to cry to the officials or take a dive, they're just "being team captains" or "playing smart hockey by buying the call".

At the end of the day, I don't even bother fighting Crosby's case. Much like with a thousand other young athletes, he's matured over the length of his career. It happens. Fighting his case is simply not worth it in my book. I prefer to enjoy his cup win and highlight goals. Much like with Lemieux, I will gladly take him on my roster any day of the week, along with the personal hardware and cup wins. ;)

Crosby has grown up since his first few years. At one time he was one of the leagues worst divers and crybabys. You may not like to hear it, but it's true. And I honestly think mario had a huge part in Crosby becoming this. I also used to argue with people on the old Philly board about Crosby (I stuck up for him) until I couldn't anymore about his diving and whining.

And likely what bothers people most was guys like Ovechkin or Richards had to earn their place in the NHL...Crosby was handed the keys before he ever played a single game.

I'd take him on my team any day though.

Bingo.

On the bright side, you guys have Letang who has taken the art of diving to the next level......and for the record, Crosby has gotten away from the ridiculous dives he started his career with. I still would not want him and his ego on the Flyers.....it would just make me feel dirty...... ;)

On the bright side, you guys have Letang who has taken the art of diving to the next level......and for the record, Crosby has gotten away from the ridiculous dives he started his career with. I still would not want him and his ego on the Flyers.....it would just make me feel dirty...... ;)

Letang doesn't dive anymore than Briere or Hartnell. As for Crosby's "ego", he doesn't really have one. The guy takes $5 mill a year less than he could command. He lets assistant captain Malkin be the last out of the locker room. He does everything the team, community, and NHL ask of him without a fuss. Worst thing you'll ever hear from him is he doesn't like the Flyers. I'm sure your boys are quick to say they love us too. You can hate him for his early days as an 18 year old learning his way, you can hate him for being emotional and losing his composure in the playoffs, but I don't see any validity to assuming there's an ego to get in the way.

Edited by Polaris922
  • Like 2

Letang doesn't dive anymore than Briere or Hartnell.

Briere I will give you. Hartnell, not so much...Hartnell does fall down a lot but that is due to his poor skating ability more than anything else.... as for the Crosby remark, that was pure tweak that you hit like a fat woman on a funnel cake....hence the ;) although I do enjoy hating the horse faced son of John Elway...

Letang is a diver of SOCCER level proportions....He cheapens the game and he is as bad as Avery in the diving department. He is going to need neck surgery if he continues to throw the head flail like he does.......

@flyerrod Harts stays on his feet more these days. A few years ago, it was a joke, the guy could barely stand on his skates, he fell every single shift. I've seen Pee Wee players stay on their feet better! He's still brutal, but no where near how monumentally bad he was a couple years ago.

As for Crosby's "ego", he doesn't really have one. The guy takes $5 mill a year less than he could command. He lets assistant captain Malkin be the last out of the locker room. He does everything the team, community, and NHL ask of him without a fuss.

Crosby and his supposed "ego" is definately a new one for me and it's completely unfounded.

I've met my fair share of athletes in my time and he was great. He took time with the fans and he wasn't fake about it. I've never heard rumors from locals when it comes to Crosby's supposed ego and word definately gets around in this city when athletes treat their fans like garbage, just ask Ben Roethlisberger. I've also never heard a complaint from the talking heads inside the local media who are always looking for controversy and more importantly - from his teammates and those involved in the front office.

When it came to his immaturity on the ice, he even admitted he was immature in his early years. At least he manned up to it. Still, can you imagine that? A teenager/young adult being immature? Shocking. If taking a dive or complaining to an official when he was younger is the worst thing the kid has ever done, I'll gladly take it. It sure as hell beats what other athletes are doing these days, like getting arrested every other week or hurting team chemisty by being a cancer with a large ego.

Edited by Penguins-66
  • Like 2

Briere I will give you. Hartnell, not so much...Hartnell does fall down a lot but that is due to his poor skating ability more than anything else.... as for the Crosby remark, that was pure tweak that you hit like a fat woman on a funnel cake....hence the ;) although I do enjoy hating the horse faced son of John Elway...

Letang is a diver of SOCCER level proportions....He cheapens the game and he is as bad as Avery in the diving department. He is going to need neck surgery if he continues to throw the head flail like he does.......

Dangit I want funnel cake! :D

• 1 month later...

That was Shakespeare-like tragic comedy bad..........and now for the brainwashed Flyer in me...."did you see that net throw itself off the moorings and into his skate!!!!By god that should have been a penalty!!!!"

Comedy...is good for the soul......after that move, Bryz should be headed to heaven....is it wrong to hope that someone will help him on the way?