Contraction?

Guest idahophilly

I have some questions about the league getting rid of a number of teams even though that won't happen...

What happens to the players on those teams and their contracts?

How many team and which ones?

Would it be better to just move teams to say Quebec/Seattle/Saskatoon(sp)/Hartford(my favorite)/Kansas City/SLC?

Anyway, I just don't get how you get rid of a team completly.

Has it happened in anything close to the modern era? In any sport?

I would imagine the contracts would have to be bought out by the league. It's a $h*t sandwich, but we're all going to have to take a bite of it before it gets better.

I think if they remove four teams it would be a good start. It probably would remove the Shelley's and Carcillo's of the NHL.

It would be a better product that is less watered down....

Edited by Bertmega

@idahophilly I remember back in the seventies, the Cleveland Barons contracted. The league had a disperal draft, in which teams took players, the last placed team picked first etc. The Barons big (and only....I think) star was Denis Maruk who I believe was taken by Minnestota and then traded to the Caps the following season. Think I got that right, a loooong time ago....lol. I believe the same thing would happen if a team disbanded, a dispersal draft.

I saw that right before I had to leave for work....The Barons merged with the Stars, that's how they got Denis Maruk in 78. The actual dispersal draft came when the Sharks came into the league. They actually picked a beaten down Tim Kerr off the Flyers roster after the Flyers left him unprotected. Got my teams and dates mixed up.