NHL Lockout Will Last Until Christmas, Agent Believes

Guest Irishjim

by Scott Coleman

There is a chance the NHL will not start up play until late December, according to a report. The NHL and the NHLPA have been working to come to a deal on a new collective bargaining agreement that works for both sides, but so far they have been far apart in their negotiations.

Here is what one agent said in a recent CSN New England article about when he believes a deal could be reached:

"I don't think we're going to be playing anytime soon," said the agent. "My best case is Christmas. It looks grim right now. (Commissioner Gary) Bettman is overreaching. He had a chance to get the players believing he wanted a partnership. Instead he wants a return to feudalism."

Other reports have indicated the season may begin around Thanksgiving, while others believe a New Year's Day start date is a possibility as well. Players across the league want to get the season started on time, but the financial aspects of the league may prevent that from happening.

Starting to agree. I think it's settled between Thanksgiving and Christmas...2 weeks of training camp, and the league uses the Winter Classic as it's seasons launch point/season opener

Probably a 45 game or so schedule, with playoffs starting when they usually do.

Sounds like an agent making his best guess. I'd love to believe that things will get resolved sooner, but it's not looking likely. If we have to wait all the way up until the Winter Classic I'm going to be livid. I think this quote says a lot: "Bettman is overreaching. He had a chance to get the players believing he wanted a partnership. Instead he wants a return to feudalism." Having said all of that, I did read today that the league is "likely to present another offer" on Tuesday (tomorrow).

FWIW, that brief article can be found here: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=403936

• Like 1

@DinahMoeHumm Put me down for first week on December. The lack of urgency is distrubing. Seems like the players are actually looking forward to playing hookey. The owners are rich no matter what happens. The players have known this is coming for a long time, I'm thinking they have all saved their money and are looking forward to missing the grind of training camp and spending time with their loved ones. Seems like the fans (AGAIN!) are the ones who will really suffer!

• Like 1