This team, special

Guest TwoDocks

I know it's early, but having watched the Flyers since the cup days, I think this team has "it". They play fast and are skilled. The atmosphere of supporting each other also seems to be genuine. Jagr and Bryz seem to lighten the mood in the lockeroom with their personalities. Contrast that to Richards and Carter's mortician speak.

Initially, I loved the trade of Carter and Richards. Dropping Carcillo was also a plus. Leino wanted way too much. So with the subtraction of entitlement players for the young guns and we have now (and Jagr and Bryz), Homer gets a big pat on the back from me.

Look for Schenn to be possible trade bait along with Bob for a top 4 d-man. Then, I think we'll have the complete team if everyone stays healthy.

I'm Flyered-up!

There is something special about this team and we haven't even seen a "perfect" game from them yet. By perfect, I mean crisp passing all game and not remembering how to break out of our own zone. We're winning games but we're still giving too much to the opposition. If they work for it and get a goal, fine....but I hate seeing break downs that should not happen resulting in a goal against.

I still don't think we should trade Schenn yet as we have yet to see what he can really bring to the table and his value is pretty low right now. Maybe by the trade deadline we'll see how the cards fall, but I expect this team to be pretty close to firing on all cylinders by then.

So you've been able to determine the future course of the team after 13 games? 13 games into the season and you know they'll be a special team? How does that work exactly?

Do you have some kind of mathematical formula? A crystal ball perhaps? Because outside of that, we can't see how anyone would come up with a logical, legitimate argument that a team will not only be an NHL team for a long time, but a very good one; special in fact. Special means a cut above the norm.

I don't think twodocks was trying to predict, but rather share his excitement and optimisim with the board about this team. I agree with you that 13 games is pretty early to show what a team is capable of, but there are a lot of positives and intangibles that make up this team. Maybe it's the energy some of the rookies are bringing to the table. Maybe it's Talbot playing "Lappy" like. Maybe it's the lighter locker room. There is no formula, but we all can see a differnet squad on the ice this year then teams in the past. There is reason for optimisim and excitement, but there is still a long road ahead for this squad. The potential to be a special team is there, but its still too early to give them that title. When March comes around and the rookies are still putting up good numbers and playing they way they are now, I'll be more apt to jump on the special bandwagon offically. Right now, I'm just excited for the possibility and enjoying watching the flyers play.

So you've been able to determine the future course of the team after 13 games? 13 games into the season and you know they'll be a special team? How does that work exactly?

Do you have some kind of mathematical formula? A crystal ball perhaps? Because outside of that, we can't see how anyone would come up with a logical, legitimate argument that a team will not only be an NHL team for a long time, but a very good one; special in fact. Special means a cut above the norm.

I think some of the players are currently playing a cut above the norm (IMHO). Did anyone expect to see Sean Courturier as a fixture or the PK (and doing quite well I might add) at the tender age of 18? Did anyone expect Jagr at 39 to be able to draw Hartnell out of the funk he has been in and get the production from him? Matt Read, an un-drafted and unsigned rookie bringing to the ice what he has with energy and scoring? I was initially sceptical about the Richards move but Simmonds is filling in excellently and we have yet to see what Schenn is capable of. It is still way to early to annoint this team as anything, but they certainly are headed in the right direction.

lol, i had popped over to philly.com to see what was going on, and saw kuato's indignation at people calling couturier "special". i thought a copy/paste was in order.

didn't give you guys a lot of context, though. especially if you've made a clean break from over there. i can't help but lurk it now and then

i had popped over to philly.com to see what was going on, and saw kuato's indignation at people calling couturier "special". i thought a copy/paste was in order.

@aziz, you realize this means that people, unless told otherwise, cannot distinguish between you and Kuato's writing, right?

Not good!

Edited by Podein25

@aziz, you realize this means that people, unless told otherwise, cannot distinguish between you and Kuato's writing, right?

Not good!

it does make me cry a little. but what it really means is people just don't pay much attention to me. that post used capital letters, for cliff's sake!

I know it's early, but having watched the Flyers since the cup days, I think this team has "it". They play fast and are skilled. The atmosphere of supporting each other also seems to be genuine. Jagr and Bryz seem to lighten the mood in the lockeroom with their personalities. Contrast that to Richards and Carter's mortician speak.

What I find particularly exciting is that they are in 1st place and I don't think this team has fully gotten it together yet! They are playing well, but there is potential for this team to be even better. I'm disappointed in the number of goals this team has given up. Too many boneheaded give aways and miscommunications has lead to goals against, but I am hoping that is still a product of this team working out the kinks.

Not good!

Well if he would have used the 3rd person I would have caught on right away. I usually just ignore anything from Kuato since after I'm done reading his posts I want to stab my eye with a fork.

I agree, to many goals given up but we still have the best goal differential in the league. +14...

And thats the biggest surprise to me, how much O this team has produced. I was not in too much of a panic about losing Carts and Richie, but I was concerned that goals would be harder to come by. I just kept saying how the D and goaltending would be good enough to overcome the drop in goals. Goaltending and D has not been brutal, but it has not been stellar by any stretch either.

And thats the biggest surprise to me, how much O this team has produced. I was not in too much of a panic about losing Carts and Richie, but I was concerned that goals would be harder to come by. I just kept saying how the D and goaltending would be good enough to overcome the drop in goals. Goaltending and D has not been brutal, but it has not been stellar by any stretch either.

This was also a concern for me, but I didn't think it was so much as the quantity but the quality. I felt that with the talent we lost the types of goals we would be getting would need to be those "dirty goals" created from rebounds and crashing the net. I am still dead wrong as I can't believe some of the goals I'm seeing from this squad. Some have just been absolutely executed perfectly and have me saying "wow, that was nice". Its nice to see the offense still cranking out some pretty goals. As long as we get more than the other team we can't lose, right?

lol, i had popped over to philly.com to see what was going on, and saw kuato's indignation at people calling couturier "special". i thought a copy/paste was in order.

Well done, aziz. I actually did that with Rick a few times. I would reply to him with cut 'n pasted quotes of his and tried to get him to argue with himself. Messing with that dimwit was good fun. :D

Whats norm to you then? .500? If so, then this team is 6 games ABOVE the norm. I dont know if they are special, but at least the culture and attitude seems to be better....what about yours?

(lame penalties aside)

They definitely try harder then last years version. But they are still thin at scoring if the top line is held in check. And the defense has bone-headed lapse all too often. Let's see if they can beat some teams like the PEns or the Caps before we hand them the cup.