Paul Alexander Arrested

Penguins-66

It's not exactly hockey related, but he is involved with ROOT sports and conducts player interviews...

http://www.post-gaze...-of-dui-650966/

Personally, I'm not a fan of the guy. I find him to be arrogant and egotistical.

I realize people make bad decisions. Being tanked at 5:00 in the afternoon and making the moronic decision to get behind the wheel is bad enough. Taking it a step further and fleeing the scene after you struck another vehicle is a completely different story. This "mistake" could have easily killed an innocent human being.

In all right, he should lose his job.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the guy. I find him to be arrogant and egotistical.

I totally agree!

I couldn't agree more. And people (very much including broadcasters) have lost their jobs for *way* less. Which makes the following statement somewhat sobering (use of "sobering" intentional, yet poignant):

"Paul will be back on the air [Thursday]," he said.

Really? I hope that was just an "up-front" statement because he didn't have all of the details yet.

It's not exactly hockey related, but he is involved with ROOT sports and conducts player interviews...

http://www.post-gaze...-of-dui-650966/

I realize people make bad decisions. Being tanked at 5:00 in the afternoon and making the moronic decision to get behind the wheel is bad enough. Taking it a step further and fleeing the scene after you struck another vehicle is a completely different story. This "mistake" could have easily killed an innocent human being.

Yikes. I actually like the guy. He keeps Giannatti (a New York guy) in check on the morning drive show.

Yikes. I actually like the guy. He keeps Giannatti (a New York guy) in check on the morning drive show.

Hey, more power to you. To each their own, right?

Personally, I can't stand local sports radio so I wouldn't even know. I find 93.7 to be absolutely abysmal. If Paul Alexander of all people is keeping other hosts in check, I'm definately not missing much. For what it's worth, I listened to 93.7 in the very beginning and this is what I came away with....

Host: Caller, what's on your mind?

Yinzer: I think the Stillers are underappreciated and I've been a fan since I was an embryo.

(Note: This is a must, share how long you've been a fan. I guess they feel it somehow shows credibility?)

Host: How so caller?

Yinzer: Because every time yinz in the media talk abaht'em, yinz are always talking bad.

Host: Ummm...all we do here is kiss Steelers butt. We have to or we're out of a job.

Call #2:

Host: Caller, you're up.

Yinzer: I think Shero and Bylsma need to be fired.

Host: Why so caller?

Yinzer: Cause they haven't won a cup since 09, know what I mean? We need to get Patrick back!

Host: Why do I work here?

Call #3:

Host: Caller, speak.

Yinzer: Why yinz skeptical abaht the Pirates?

Host: It's been 19 years since they have made the playoffs you drunk dolt (I added the drunk dolt).

Yinzer: I know, but yinz are so negative abaht it.

Host: 19 years.

In short, the biggest problem I have with 93.7 is that they allow the "fans" to run the show. The end result - You get drunk Tony from Turtle "Crick" and Danny from Munhall calling in every day spewing pure idiocy. It's completely mind-numbing to me and I find it to be painfully embarrassing as a Pittsburgh sports fan. Just my two cents.

Edited by Penguins-66

@Penguins-66

<<< Hey, more power to you. To each their own, right? Personally, I can't stand local sports radio so I wouldn't even know. I find 93.7 to be absolutely abysmal. If Alexander is keeping people in check, I'm sure I'm not missing much.

In short, the biggest problem I have with 93.7 is that they allow the "fans" to run the show. The end result - You get drunk Tony from Turtle "Crick" and Danny from Munhall calling in every day spewing pure idiocy. It's completely mind-numbing to me and I find it to be embarrassing as a Pittsburgher. Just my two cents. >>>

LOL. I hear ya. That's the problem with sports talk in a smaller market. If you want the calls (i.e. - ratings) you have to put up with a few more wackadoos.

I've lived in areas where the sports talk is God awful (Philly, Boston) and terriffic (New York). I'd put us somewhere in the middle. Aside from Boomer and Carton I was a huge fan of The Fan in NY.

@Penguins-66

@Polaris922

@DinahMoeHumm

He was back on their air this morning. I'm usually not tuning in until about 7:00 a.m. so I am not sure if he addressed what happened when the show started. I was at the Buccos game so not sure if he did the post-game on TV.

Wowza! I'll be interested to hear all of the details. You'd think there'd at least be a "paid leave" or some such while they conduct the typical "internal investigation." Honestly, I'm kind of surprised by this.

@B21

@Penguins-66

@DinahMoeHumm

They must be going the "innocent till proven guilty" stance.

As for local radio the only sports I can really take is Madden. The guy is actually honest and more importantly correct most of the time. He cuts through some of the soap box crap and tells it like it is more often than not. His ego and treatment if callers can be offensive to some, but I'm thick skinned so I find it quite humorous for the most part. He's a smart guy if nothing else.

It's looking like it's going to be pushed under the rug and forgotten.

Maybe the top honchos at Root Sports and 93.7 are waiting until he t-bones a minivan and wipes out a family of four while driving plastered at 5:00 in the afternoon? That's the way it's looking from my perspective. Anyone else would have been fired by the time they were handcuffed and placed inside a squad car. I guess if you're able to hawk hair loss products, conduct player interviews and blow hot air into a microphone, you deserve a free pass from your employer for these type of incidents?

Nice standards.

Edited by Penguins-66
  • Like 1

It's looking like it's going to be pushed under the rug and forgotten.

Maybe the top honchos at Root Sports and 93.7 are waiting until he t-bones a minivan and wipes out a family of four while driving plastered at 5:00 in the afternoon? That's the way it's looking from my perspective. Anyone else would have been fired by the time they were handcuffed and placed inside a squad car. I guess if you're able to hawk hair loss products, conduct player interviews and blow hot air into a microphone, you deserve a free pass from your employer for these type of incidents?

Nice standards.

Have to be fair.

1) This is only news because he is a local television and radio personality. And only news here.

2) If I pull the same nonsense tomorrow I'm not getting fired. My employer most likely won't even know it happened. Short of having a job where driving is your primary responsibility, you aren't getting fired for a DUI.

Should he be held to a higher standard because he's famous? Eh. An athlete...sure. But a member of the media? Along with the normal punishment one faces with these the embarassment of having it known to the public is punishment enough i/m/h/o.

Hey, more power to you. To each their own, right?

Personally, I can't stand local sports radio so I wouldn't even know. I find 93.7 to be absolutely abysmal. If Paul Alexander of all people is keeping other hosts in check, I'm definately not missing much. For what it's worth, I listened to 93.7 in the very beginning and this is what I came away with....

Host: Caller, what's on your mind?

Yinzer: I think the Stillers are underappreciated and I've been a fan since I was an embryo.

(Note: This is a must, share how long you've been a fan. I guess they feel it somehow shows credibility?)

Host: How so caller?

Yinzer: Because every time yinz in the media talk abaht'em, yinz are always talking bad.

Host: Ummm...all we do here is kiss Steelers butt. We have to or we're out of a job.

Call #2:

Host: Caller, you're up.

Yinzer: I think Shero and Bylsma need to be fired.

Host: Why so caller?

Yinzer: Cause they haven't won a cup since 09, know what I mean? We need to get Patrick back!

Host: Why do I work here?

Call #3:

Host: Caller, speak.

Yinzer: Why yinz skeptical abaht the Pirates?

Host: It's been 19 years since they have made the playoffs you drunk dolt (I added the drunk dolt).

Yinzer: I know, but yinz are so negative abaht it.

Host: 19 years.

In short, the biggest problem I have with 93.7 is that they allow the "fans" to run the show. The end result - You get drunk Tony from Turtle "Crick" and Danny from Munhall calling in every day spewing pure idiocy. It's completely mind-numbing to me and I find it to be painfully embarrassing as a Pittsburgh sports fan. Just my two cents.

that's some funny stuff right there.

I especially love the Danny from Munhall line, comic gold.

1) This is only news because he is a local television and radio personality. And only news here.

I have found the total opposite to be true with this particular case.

I have constantly seen intoxicated hit and run accidents reported on the 6:00 news when the crime is committed by your regular ol' Joe. I don't even remember the local news reporting on Alexander's arrest. To be sure, I did a quick search on all three news sites and I couldn't find one piece pertaining to the story. I wasn't expecting KDKA to report on the story considering "The Fan" is associated with CBS. I'm sure they would like this to go away as soon as possible. As for WTAE and WPXI, again, I couldn't find one story.

2) If I pull the same nonsense tomorrow I'm not getting fired. My employer most likely won't even know it happened. Short of having a job where driving is your primary responsibility, you aren't getting fired for a DUI.

Really? Coming from a business owner, I know if one of my employees were plastered at 5:00 in the afternoon and smacked into a car and then decided to flee the scene, they wouldn't be coming into work the next morning or any day after that. Again, a DUI is one thing. Being involved in a hit and run while drunk and then lying to police puts a whole new face on the incident.

(Also, prior to being arrested, Alexander was scheduled to be the PITT sideline reporter for the game against Youngstown State. He was mysteriously missing on Saturday. The athletic department confirmed the replacement.)

Should he be held to a higher standard because he's famous? Eh. An athlete...sure. But a member of the media? Along with the normal punishment one faces with these the embarassment of having it known to the public is punishment enough i/m/h/o.

In my personal opinion, I don't think anyone should be "held to a higher standard", including athletes, Paul Alexander or your regular ol' Joe. All should be held to the same standards.

Edited by Penguins-66

that's some funny stuff right there.

I especially love the Danny from Munhall line, comic gold.

I don't mean to harp on the topic, but it's amazing to me - For as good as a sports city as Pittsburgh is, our local sports talk is easily some of the worst I have ever heard or watched. Doing business in plenty of east coast cities, I've heard my fair share and I will freely admit this city is absolutely abysmal when it comes to sports talk entertainment.

Personally, I miss "Sportsbeat" with Stan Savran. The show format was great. The host was very likable and knowledgable. The interviews conducted were excellent. While fans were able to call into the show and ask questions and voice an opinion, they didn't run the show. They weren't the show. It's a shame Stan no longer has a show on television.

Root Sports would rather put on excellent programming such as poker tournaments broadcasted directly from my neighbors basement, women's softball and college football games that have absolutely nothing to do with the Pittsburgh area and normally involve two community colleges located on the other side of the country.

Edited by Penguins-66
  • Like 2

@Penguins-66

<<< I have found the total opposite to be true with this particular case. >>>

<<< I have constantly seen intoxicated hit and run accidents reported on the 6:00 news when the crime is committed by your regular ol' Joe. I don't even remember the local news reporting on Alexander's arrest. To be sure, I did a quick search on all three news sites and I couldn't find one piece pertaining to the story. I wasn't expecting KDKA to report on the story considering "The Fan" is associated with CBS. I'm sure they would like this to go away as soon as possible. As for WTAE and WPXI, again, I couldn't find one story. >>>

It was a cover story on the PG online complete with a photo and a follow up article the next day. As for the local news, I didn't recall seeing it but have to wonder if that has anything to do with WPXI and WTAE not running it as a story so as not to come off as rubbing KDKA's nose in shite. Example...they all led with Frank Coonelly's DUI when that story broke. I disagree 100% with each and every hit and run...if it results in serious injury or death (regrettably) then it is more newsworthy. But a single car accident in which no one was injured (plus what I mentioned about the networks)...not really a shock here that there wasn't much television coverage. If some convenience store clerk hits a tree after too many IC Lights at 2:00 a.m. it's not making the local news.

<<< Really? Coming from a business owner, I know if one of my employees were plastered at 5:00 in the afternoon and smacked into a car and then decided to flee the scene, they wouldn't be coming into work the next morning or any day after that. Again, a DUI is one thing. Being involved in a hit and run while drunk and then lying to police puts a whole new face on the incident. >>>

Agree but unless your average Joe employee makes the news you aren't finding out about that unless the employee 1) tells you 2) you read about it in the paper assuming it is there and/or 3) you run regular background checks on your employees. I work for a large global Fortune 500 company. Simply put, it would not happen (me getting fired). There is no system in place to find it.

<<< Also, prior to being arrested, Alexander was scheduled to be the PITT sideline reporter for the game against Youngstown State. He was mysteriously missing on Saturday. The athletic department confirmed the replacement. >>>

As Pitt has a right to do.

<<< In my personal opinion, I don't think anyone should be "held to a higher standard", including athletes, Paul Alexander or your regular ol' Joe. All should be held to the same standards. >>>

I could go either way on this. Athletes, like it or not, are role models for the community. I am not. That's why I don't have a problem with an athlete being suspended for a DUI and your average Joe not disciplined outside what the law states. Not that it matters as there are plenty of examples of athletes who have done a lot worse than a DUI and gotten multiple chances to resume their careers.

It was a cover story on the PG online

Yep, and that's the only place I saw it reported.

But a single car accident in which no one was injured (plus what I mentioned about the networks)...not really a shock here that there wasn't much television coverage. If some convenience store clerk hits a tree after too many IC Lights at 2:00 a.m. it's not making the local news.

I guess this is where you and I will respectfully agree to disagree. Like I said, I've sat on my couch on numerous occasions and have witnessed stories on the 6:00 news pertaining to hit and run accidents involving drunk drivers. Some resulted in death, some did not. Some were "known" people, others were just regular people.

Agree but unless your average Joe employee makes the news you aren't finding out about that

Again, if your average Joe is plastered at 5:00 in the afternoon, strikes a vehicle outside the Squirrel Hill Tunnels, flees the scene and then lies to the police, chances are I'm going to hear about it and I'm going to fire him. Personally, I don't want that type of person working for me. It's a small city. Word gets around quicker than some may think. We are talking about local stations that are quick to report on such earth-shattering news stories such as a kid getting his bike stolen or a cat stuck in a drainage pipe.

As Pitt has a right to do.

Yep.

Athletes, like it or not, are role models for the community.

Sadly enough, that is the truth. Far too many parents bank on people who can shoot a puck or catch a ball to raise their children.

That's why I don't have a problem with an athlete being suspended for a DUI and your average Joe not disciplined outside what the law states. Not that it matters as there are plenty of examples of athletes who have done a lot worse than a DUI and gotten multiple chances to resume their careers.

I'm not saying these guys should get the electric chair or exiled to St. Helena for a DUI . I'm just simply stating that if I were to find out that one of my employees did what Paul Alexander did, they would be fired immediately. I guess I have different standards than the classy folks at "The Fan" and KDKA. Oh well.

Edited by Penguins-66

If its his first offense and the object he struck was unoccupied, he'll get the Accelerated Rejabilitative Disposition Program so no conviction will be on his record. It'll be a couple grand in fines, some AA classes, and license lost for a month.

If its his first offense and the object he struck was unoccupied, he'll get the Accelerated Rejabilitative Disposition Program so no conviction will be on his record. It'll be a couple grand in fines, some AA classes, and license lost for a month.

If it's his first offense and that's what our judicial system calls for, I'm all for it even though losing your license for only one month for a hit and run while drunk seems very lax in my opinion. Still, if that's the consequence, I respect it.

Either way and once again, I never stated the guy should receive a needle or a trip to Old Sparky for his crimes. I just wouldn't keep the dunce on my staff. Apparently, some companies would. Good for them, I guess? The man obviously has a serious problem, aside from being a complete and total jagoff of course.

Edited by Penguins-66
  • Like 1