Paul Alexander Arrested

Penguins-66

If it's his first offense and that's what our judicial system calls for, I'm all for it even though losing your license for only one month for a hit and run while drunk seems very lax in my opinion. Still, if that's the consequence, I respect it.

Either way and once again, I never stated the guy should receive a needle or a trip to Old Sparky for his crimes. I just wouldn't keep the dunce on my staff. Apparently, some companies would. Good for them, I guess? The man obviously has a serious problem, aside from being a complete and total jagoff of course.

I'm kinda disappointed that the news media didn't really report on it. I know if it were me as a police officer they'd have made it front page news. Kind of hypocritical to protect their own.

• Like 2

stan was on wtae 4 when i was in college a million years ago, i liked him a lot. class act that one.

If you can get by the painfully exotic suits, he's a stand-up guy.

He doesn't take himself too seriously nor does he come off as a pompous and egotistical mook. He has to be the most beloved Clevelander in Pittsburgh history. That is an accomplishment in it's own right. I catch him from time to time on ESPN radio, but his time slot doesn't coincide with my schedule (10-11 AM).

Edited by Penguins-66

@Penguins-66

Well when you add "hit and run" or "fleeing the scene" or "lying to police" or "5:00 p.m. during rush hour near the Squirrel Hill Tunnels" then things change. That will make news whether it's a local media personality or not.

My convenience store clerk hitting a tree at 2:00 a.m...not so much.

@Penguins-66

Well when you add "hit and run" or "fleeing the scene" or "lying to police" or "5:00 p.m. during rush hour near the Squirrel Hill Tunnels" then things change. That will make news whether it's a local media personality or not.

My convenience store clerk hitting a tree at 2:00 a.m...not so much.

Right. From the very beginning I wasn't talking about your convenience store clerk hitting a tree or a "simple" DUI charge. I'm talking about Paul Alexander and what he did. I don't think it really matters who you are, hitting a tree at 2:00 AM while drunk is a little different than what Alexander did.

Either way, it looks like he's keeping his job on KDKA and 93.7. At least PITT had the good sense. Taking into consideration that he was toasted at 5:00 in the afternoon on a Tuesday and had no problem fleeing the scene after hitting another vehicle, hopefully he receives some type of treatment before he actually kills someone. I have zero sympathy for the man, but he obviously has some serious issues that he needs to straighten out.

Edited by Penguins-66

I'm kinda disappointed that the news media didn't really report on it. I know if it were me as a police officer they'd have made it front page news. Kind of hypocritical to protect their own.

And there you have it. Unfortunately, that seems to be the way it works far too often. :-\

• Like 1

Personally, I miss "Sportsbeat" with Stan Savran.

I was always a Stan fan myself. It's too bad good quality shows like that get shoved aside for pure garbage. Speaking of the old days, I still miss the he|| out of Mike Lange for the TV broadcasts. I'm still not sold on Steigy as *the* guy. When he was in the booth with Lange I thought it was a good combo, but Steigy and Errey, eh. I've heard worse, but those two drive me nuts sometimes.

• Like 1

where i live i get root sports and caps games as my "home market" that's right i live in pennsyltucky. but that's beside the point.

I really liked mike lange's calls... he was a pens fan but not to the point of making a broadcast unwatchable, that was always paul steigerwald's job, not a fan of him at all.

mike lange was almost myron cope worthy, where you'd turn down espn's volume and go with lange's call, my buddies used to do with the stiller broadcasts.

bob erry is a horrible broadcaster, his voice is just so-so and he brings very little insight in his role as color commentator.

my guys are no prize either though, jj is okay , therien still thinks the game pretty well,he provides some nice blips about the pro game, but his voice is only so-so ...certainly not gene hart and bobby taylor.

but take heart we're not listening to jack edwards and that is a good thing.

• Like 2

I really liked mike lange's calls... he was a pens fan but not to the point of making a broadcast unwatchable, that was always paul steigerwald's job, not a fan of him at all.

mike lange was almost myron cope worthy, where you'd turn down espn's volume and go with lange's call, my buddies used to do with the stiller broadcasts.

bob erry is a horrible broadcaster, his voice is just so-so and he brings very little insight in his role as color commentator.

I'm by no means a fan of Steigerwald, but I wasn't completely against Root Sports making a change.

When Lange was at the top of his game, there were very few who were on the same level. In my opinion, he was the best in the league when he was on top of his game. I think he deserves to be put in the same company as Cope and Prince - he was that good. My problem with Lange was during his final few years on television. He wouldn't follow the game. He would miss calls, confuse numbers, confuse players and tell endless stories that had absolutely nothing to do with the game of hockey. For radio, he's perfect. Radio forces him to pay attention and actually call the game rather than telling me what he did with his grandchildren over the weekend or how to make the perfect risotto.

As for Steigerwald and Errey, I can stomach Errey and he actually gives me a chuckle from time to time, but I'm not a fan of Steigerwald. For starters, we could be losing a game by the score of 8-1 and he would somehow find a positive. Tyler Kennedy can go 20-straight games without a goal and he doesn't make a peep. When he finally scores a goal, he makes him out to be the second coming of Jean Pronovost. Having the Center Ice package, I've heard worse, but Steigerwald definately ranks up there in my book. Still, I would rather listen to Steigerwald over Eddie Olczyk and his sour grapes toward the Penguins organization. The mute button is a blessing every time we're on CBS.

I'm by no means a fan of Steigerwald, but I wasn't completely against Root Sports making a change.

When Lange was at the top of his game, there were very few who were on the same level. In my opinion, he was the best in the league when he was on top of his game. I think he deserves to be put in the same company as Cope and Prince - he was that good. My problem with Lange was during his final few years on television. He wouldn't follow the game. He would miss calls, confuse numbers, confuse players and tell endless stories that had absolutely nothing to do with the game of hockey. For radio, he's perfect. Radio forces him to pay attention and actually call the game rather than telling me what he did with his grandchildren over the weekend or how to make the perfect risotto.

As for Steigerwald and Errey, I can stomach Errey and he actually gives me a chuckle from time to time, but I'm not a fan of Steigerwald. For starters, we could be losing a game by the score of 8-1 and he would somehow find a positive. Tyler Kennedy can go 20-straight games without a goal and he doesn't make a peep. When he finally scores a goal, he makes him out to be the second coming of Jean Pronovost. Having the Center Ice package, I've heard worse, but Steigerwald definately ranks up there in my book. Still, I would rather listen to Steigerwald over Eddie Olczyk and his sour grapes toward the Penguins organization. The mute button is a blessing every time we're on CBS.

Agree with everything you said there.

Agree with everything you said there.

I'm surprised. I thought I was the only person in the Tri-State area who felt it was the right move. I think my opinion is a hanging offense in some areas of Allegheny county.

In Alexander's defense, it's always hard following a legend. While Milo Hamilton was horrible, I think he could relate to Alexander's situation. For me personally, even if Steigerwald didn't follow a legend, he would still be pretty bad in my book. To clarify a few of my last points - If we're losing by a score of 8-1, I by no means expect Steigerwald to rip the team a new one on the air, but a little constructive criticism wouldn't hurt his cause. The same goes for the Tyler Kennedy situation. I don't expect him to tear into Kennedy when he goes on one of his MIA streaks, but let's not make him out to be something he's not when he actually does decide to show up - a consistent hockey player like a Jean Pronovost.

Again, constructive criticism wouldn't hurt. Cope had no problem calling out a player or the team in general when they didn't show up on Sunday afternoons.

Going back to Mike Lange, I think a good bit of the fan outcry since the move was made stems from pure nostalgia. Some people simply hate change and I get it. I'm one of those people when it comes to certain situations. I also think a large number were either small children or not yet born when Lange was at his very best. They listened to the early/mid 2000's Mike Lange and automatically assumed it was the same Lange who called games in the 80's and 90's. Unless my ears deceived me, the 80's-90's Lange was very different than the guy I was listening to in the early/mid 2000's. Again though, he's excellent on the radio and fits perfectly in that game-calling format. Bourque keeps the blatant homerism in check to some degree and Lange is forced to actually do what he's paid to do - call the game.

Edited by Penguins-66

@Penguins-66: I certainly agree that toward the end Lange started to slip a little. I can also understand why the move was made to a degree. However, I think they made a poor choice in Lange's replacement. Like I said, when Steigy was in the booth with Lange it was a good combo... at least *I* thought so. But Steigy as *the* guy? Not in my book. I'm sure part of my love for Lange stems from nostalgia, but I'd still take him over Steigy to this day. Errey, to me, is just sort of a buffoon. A clown. Sometimes he has some decent insight into the game, but a lot of times his comments are pure homerism.

Regardless, I'll agree 100% about your comment on Olczyk... what an a$$hat that guy is these days :mellow:

• Like 1

I too hated seeing Lange moved to radio because I felt a loyalty to him, but @Penguins-66 hit it right on the nose with how distracted he was getting on TV calls. I hate Steigerwald with a passion though. Errey is okay by me, because even though he does say some homerish crap here and there, he really DOES understand the game. It's whether he can spit it out or not.

• Like 1

Errey is okay by me, because even though he does say some homerish crap here and there, he really DOES understand the game. It's whether he can spit it out or not.

Well, yeah. I'm not saying he doesn't know the game. I'm not even saying I don't like him per se. I just think he acts like a clown half of the time, makes homerish comments, and isn't a very good broadcaster. He is funny sometimes when he's down by the benches during games though.

• Like 1