Flyers could go overseas if there's a lockout

Guest Irishjim

<iframe id="embed" src="http://www.csnphilly.com/embedplayer?embed=1&PID=A15JxY_T3cfp59on4_v1vT3LlWky_Bcn" frameborder="0" width="600" height="379" scrolling="no"></iframe>

595258.png

Kimmo Timonen is entering the final year of his contract with the Flyers. At 37, he won’t discuss retirement just yet. But coming off his recent back surgery Timonen feels close to 100 percent.

Timonen owns a small part of SM-liiga, one of the elite leagues in Europe, which just happens to be in his native Finland.

If a lockout drags on, he’ll consider the option of playing overseas. Fellow teammate Scott Hartnell has also expressed interest, he too has a connection to a team in Finland, as a minority owner.

Jaromir Jagr, a former teammate of the two, is a majority owner of a team known in English as Knights of Kladno located in the Czech Republic. Jagr has a personal interest in the team: his father is the club's president. Hartnell said recently Claude Giroux received a phone call from Jagr asking if he’d consider playing there

There may end up being some pretty good hockey being played overseas if this lockout drags on. Not that there isn't already, but you know what I mean... :P

if it ends up that way. i'll post links to games i find except they'd be on at messed up times for us on this side of the planet

For teams in Europe it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me why they would accept a bunch of NHL players temporarily on their rosters. Don't they have roster limits? What happens to the contracts that were originally signed by (KHL) players and now they find themselves without a team while they wait for a lockout to end?

Maybe each team could fit in a couple of players. Players like Malkin and Ovechkin could surely help ticket sales in the KHL. By signing the NHL players to temporary contracts they would be sacrificing their own team chemistry and player development.

Kudos to the Swedish Elite League in stating that they will not accept players on half-year contracts, in order to protect the jobs of some of the players they have already signed for full-year deals.

Don't know how I would feel about Giroux playing overseas. I understand his need to stay active and maintain his skills but there is so much risk in doing so. During the last lockout many NHLers just played in the AHL. I think I'd rather see that.

@Hexy27 in 04 Richards and Carter were not yet NHL regulars, kind of like Welly and Couts etc...they were still considered prospects. When their junior teams were finished playing their season was basically over....except for an AHL playoff run, which turned out to be perfect for them. Don't remember any other Flyers on that team, at least not veterans.