A Lock-Out Seems Likely

Guest Howie58

Greetings:

Two weeks ago I thought the collective bargaining process would work and the season would not be in jeopardy. Now I see a lost season, or at least some loss, as almost certain.

In some ways I think this is more of a pivot point than '04-'05. You could argue that in '04 the league's finances were out of kilter and the NHLPA was being led over the cliff. This time around, the finances relate to a handful of "sick" franchises, owners who want protection from their own avarice/stupidity, and players who want to preserve the "Bettman Model" of nontraditional franchises even if marginal TV revenues fail to cover "sick" franchise problems.

I also suspect that Bettmann-Fehr is a titanic personality clash of two lawyers from radically different backgrounds. There are elements of "class warfare" in any collective bargaining but these personalities seem worlds apart as people.

Personally, driving across I-75 to see the Florida Everblades in Estero isn't too appealing, unless it's combined with a stay on the West Coast. But that seems like a pain in the you-know-what to get a fix of minor league hockey.

One other observation: I suspect Gary Bettmann's job is on the line. Fehr will stay on regardless of outcome. But owners may use this an opportunity to move him out, even if the outcome is "owner-friendly."

Peace,

Howie

• Like 3

One other observation: I suspect Gary Bettmann's job is on the line. Fehr will stay on regardless of outcome. But owners may use this an opportunity to move him out, even if the outcome is "owner-friendly."

That is something ALL Hockey Fans are hoping for........

• Like 3

I am outraged how this jerk ( Bettmann) is so hell-bent in destroying the game that I love so much. There has to be a way where we hockey fan can help to facilitate the removal of this moron. He has done nothing to promote the game of hockey, so as a commissioner he has been a total failure.

• Like 3

I am outraged how this jerk ( Bettmann) is so hell-bent in destroying the game that I love so much. There has to be a way where we hockey fan can help to facilitate the removal of this moron. He has done nothing to promote the game of hockey, so as a commissioner he has been a total failure.

Whether you like him or not, he has not been a failure. He has grown the popularity of the sport and increased revenues year over year. How would you define success?

• Like 1

My biggest frustration with a lockout is that our superstar gets a year older and the other young guys kinda lose a year of development. They may or may not improve in Russia, if they choose to go, but to me that is the biggest shame.

The game of hockey will grow regardless of the person in commish office. I for one have invited my friends in attending hockey games. I have given Flyers jersey as birthday gift to my nephew and other kids, so how can Bettmann take credit for the work of people like me. NFL commissioner also faced the same problem that hockey faced in 2004, but he did not kill a hockey season like this jerk off. Please educate me about the contribution of Mr. Bettmann to the game of hockey. Game of hockey was pretty much unknown to west coast prior to Wayne Gretzky trade to King, and it's been growing ever since.

Greetings:

Two weeks ago I thought the collective bargaining process would work and the season would not be in jeopardy. Now I see a lost season, or at least some loss, as almost certain.

In some ways I think this is more of a pivot point than '04-'05. You could argue that in '04 the league's finances were out of kilter and the NHLPA was being led over the cliff. This time around, the finances relate to a handful of "sick" franchises, owners who want protection from their own avarice/stupidity, and players who want to preserve the "Bettman Model" of nontraditional franchises even if marginal TV revenues fail to cover "sick" franchise problems.

I also suspect that Bettmann-Fehr is a titanic personality clash of two lawyers from radically different backgrounds. There are elements of "class warfare" in any collective bargaining but these personalities seem worlds apart as people.

Personally, driving across I-75 to see the Florida Everblades in Estero isn't too appealing, unless it's combined with a stay on the West Coast. But that seems like a pain in the you-know-what to get a fix of minor league hockey.

Peace,

Howie

No matter how much blame goes to Bettman it still comes down to he works for the Owners. If they told him to make a deal that should be end of it. Easier to let him take the heat for a lost season.

I'll just go downtown more often to watch the Idaho Steelheads....If we need to lose and ENTIRE season to get rid of Bettmann then I'm OK with it... But, half a season would be better... Gives Timmo and Grossmann more time to heal and rest...

Sounds enticing but not worth it. As much as I dislike "The Weasel" Gary Bettman, it would be a real heartbreak if there is no hockey this year. Im dying to see Nash on one end, Richards in the middle and Gabby on the other but even more then that, I miss hockey.

Greetings:

Peace,

Howie

Howie, no matter what happens I can see the owners giving Bettman the golden handshake and sending him on his way once the CBA is signed. If the owners don't get what they want then Bettman will be the fall guy. I can see the lockout will go until at least November and the season will start in January when the NFL is almost done.

Lindbergh:

Greetings! I agree that GB is the man to fall there is a labor stoppage of any duration. Something about the guy doesn't resonate with people. He would argue the finances and TV revenue are far better than when he took over. I suspect most fans wouldn't give a rat's ass.

Best,

Howie

• Like 1

ut he did not kill a hockey season like this jerk off.

I am too lazy to do it (actually more too busy with my family and life outside of the NHL to care), but it would be VERY interesting to see the differences in finances over a lockout year, vs. the current NHLPA demands and NHL refusal. I generally know the Forbes annual numbers of some teams pretty well. It would also be interesting to see what clauses are in the TV contracts if there is a lockout- as certainly those contracts are based on an expected viewer % and ad revenue.

If I am a betting man, I am going to guess that a lockout year would lose a greater amount of money (revenue, expenses, profits etc), than the money being fought over.

I for one, who love this sport above all other sports, will not watch or attend a single game of hockey in protest until Bettman is gone if a lockout does occur. His whole comment about the fans will return in the event of a lockout absolutely disgusted me and shows he really doesn't care about the fans or the growth of the sport. A lockout will kill this sport right as it was recovering and gaining casual fans back from the 1st lockout. The casual fan will not return this time in the event of a lockout.

If I am a betting man, I am going to guess that a lockout year would lose a greater amount of money (revenue, expenses, profits etc), than the money being fought over.

They made a record $3.3B in total revenue last year for the NHL. I can't see them getting back to that level immeditaely after a lost season. I think, conservatively, we are talking about hundreds of millions of dollars - at least - on top of an(other) entire lost season.

A few months, however, is something else entirely. The NBA still made $3.6B last year after their lockout...

I for one, who love this sport above all other sports, will not watch or attend a single game of hockey in protest until Bettman is gone if a lockout does occur. His whole comment about the fans will return in the event of a lockout absolutely disgusted me and shows he really doesn't care about the fans or the growth of the sport. A lockout will kill this sport right as it was recovering and gaining casual fans back from the 1st lockout. The casual fan will not return this time in the event of a lockout.

Sekkes: I would probably add a friendly amendment: I think getting attendance in the nontraditional markets that Bettmann covets will be difficult with a labor stoppage. Flyers and Rangers fans will stay the course; I am not sure about the Panther and Coyote fans, which is kind of tragic. Tallon may be turning my backyard Panthers around, and you have to admire Tippett/Phoenix for turning out a quality product in the midst of organizational chaos. If I were fans in those venues, I'd urinate on the NHL.

Best,

Howie

Bettmann is trying to "protect" the small/fragile market teams and yet a lockout will hurt them the worst. As pointed out, the Rangers, Flyers, Leafs of the league will be fine no matter what. But what about his beloved Phoenix which already has a hard time drawing fans... We can only hope it's the nail in the coffin for NJ...

For anyone to say Bettman has been bad for the league shows an amazing lack of awareness. They brought him in after his success with the MBA and the NHL has done nothing but improve since. They've made more money and experienced more success than ever before. The last lockout was by his design and it's what brought the salary cap. That salary cap is a large part of what's made the league stronger. Now it needs tweaked so the war drums are out. Yeah sure he said fans will return and threatens a lockout. Have you ever seen a negotiation where a leader says they won't go to extremes? That negotiator would be a failure.

Hate Bettman all you want. The league has grown leaps and bounds under him. Anyone who chooses to be blind to that is a fool. Buy jersies all you want, that doesn't make people watch the games.

• Like 2

@behnam I hate the guy as much as anyone else, but the fact is....under Bettman, the leauge has increased revenue 7 straight seasons, in that time span, almost doubling the total revenue. The league has a major contract with NBC under Gary, so at least they can attract new fans....that was not happening with Versus or The Outdoor Network.

• Like 1

Many communities are cutting the unions off at the knees and appears the NHL owners are of the same mind. In unity their is strength so curtail the bargaining power.

Neither side has any product without the other.

Anyone looking to find some Randian Paradise in this situation is going to be badly disappointed from the jump.