Lindros spoke on DNL

Guest hf101

Basically said there are more concussions in the NHL now than before when he played. He wants to see the red line returned and the ice widened. Thus the speed of the game is slowed down.

Obviously it is easier to go back to returning the red line then it is widening the rinks. The red line will slow the game down. Not sure how either of these two suggestions removes the boarding penalties resulting in head shots though.

They need to use the international size ice, that should take down hitting more. The game has change dramatically since the lockout, guys are skating faster and getting bigger then before. The NHL rink size is getting too small for these new type of game. Also maybe use bubble wraps as helmets or install airbags in the helmets? The ones they wear now sucks, the brain is absorbing the impact instead of the helmet. So why wear it for?

Mouth guards also have to be worn properly.

I was listening on ESPN radio yesterday, when they discussed how minimizing the back of the jaw movement during a collision or blow to the head with properly worn mouth guards helps prevent a severe concussion. I agree though there is a need for better equipment protection for the players heads.

They need to use the international size ice, that should take down hitting more

In my humble opinion, this is absolutely positively the first thing they should do. More open ice should mean fewer collisions and fewer injuries of all kinds. They can fiddle with the rules and the equipment all they want, but they can't escape the fact that players are bigger and faster now than they were even 20 years ago and it's time to adjust the size playing "field".

They need to use the international size ice, that should take down hitting more. The game has change dramatically since the lockout, guys are skating faster and getting bigger then before. The NHL rink size is getting too small for these new type of game. Also maybe use bubble wraps as helmets or install airbags in the helmets? The ones they wear now sucks, the brain is absorbing the impact instead of the helmet. So why wear it for?

It will never happen as the owners who count on the gate revenue would never allow them to take out seats in order to enlarge the playing surface. Look what they did, they eliminated the goal judge (mostly due to instant replay) and added more seats. Next thing you know they will ask Lou Nolan to sit up in the press box so they can sell a seat in his spot.

Either that or they will continue to lose not just only players but star players due to concussions. You think the NHL is happy that Crosby has 2 concussion already, his career might be cut short and he's only 24 years old. Making a quick buck now or making the league better in the long run? So far this year the leading point man and goal scorer has been out with concussions, yes those happened with teammates or freak plays but with more ice surface it can only help.

Mouth guards also have to be worn properly.

I was listening on ESPN radio yesterday, when they discussed how minimizing the back of the jaw movement during a collision or blow to the head with properly worn mouth guards helps prevent a severe concussion. I agree though there is a need for better equipment protection for the players heads.

The Hammer was on "Off the Record" last night. Among other things he was saying players should stop wearing mouthguards. I was like, "WTF"? I thought, here we go, old school idiot trying to bring "tough" back. His reasoning though, and it kind of makes sense, is communication. Players used to be a lot more verbal out on the rink about letting their teammate know when he was in danger.