Joey MacDonald backup.

Guest TimKerrFan12

We should make a trade for back-up goalie Joey MacDonald who is with the Red Wings. He is asking for a trade because the Wings have another back-up. He is a pretty solid back-up and would be better then Leighton. As an aside. Back in Junior with the Halifax Mooseheads in the Q, he was let go because the Mooseheads had Pascal Leclaire and Alexei Volkov and he was the odd-man out. MacDonald went to the OHL and became and all-star. Anybody ever here of Volkov? And Leclaire is no longer on anyone's radar.

it would be nice to have an accomplished junior player in the mix somewhere in the organization. cal heeter has some talent but he's an NCAA guy and i've heard that stolarz is a project, I don't know what happened with riopel and morrison. seems to me like the goalie prospect area is a place where we could use some upgrade.

it would be nice to have an accomplished junior player in the mix somewhere in the organization. cal heeter has some talent but he's an NCAA guy and i've heard that stolarz is a project, I don't know what happened with riopel and morrison. seems to me like the goalie prospect area is a place where we could use some upgrade.

Actually....MacDonald has been kick'n around for a while so he is not young by any means. Had good stats with Detroit.

@TimKerrFan12 Indeed, Joey McDonald turns 32 this coming February. He played for the Petes way back when in the OHL. Still, had good stats the last couple years as the wings 3rd goalie (pressed into service both past years due to Wings goalie injuries). He's a definate upgrade on Leighton in my mind...here is my problem....we have to develop the kids...need to get them playing time to find out which one stands out in the crowd...that means moving Leighton down to the Phantoms is a lateral move at best. I'm only in favour of Joey McDonald if we severe all ties with Leaky Leighton, which is the best case senario, but highly unlikely....considering he passed through waivers all last year with no problem....yes, our back up...no body wanted him even for half price...LOL! outrageous!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joey_MacDonald

Isn't Erickson (sp?) coming over from Finland this season to battle for a spot on the phantoms?

We should make a trade for back-up goalie Joey MacDonald who is with the Red Wings. He is asking for a trade because the Wings have another back-up. He is a pretty solid back-up and would be better then Leighton. As an aside. Back in Junior with the Halifax Mooseheads in the Q, he was let go because the Mooseheads had Pascal Leclaire and Alexei Volkov and he was the odd-man out. MacDonald went to the OHL and became and all-star. Anybody ever here of Volkov? And Leclaire is no longer on anyone's radar.

Can MacDonald play D?