Homer | Amnesty | Buyout - "All For It"

Guest Digityman

2012 Amnesty  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you buyout if it was an option?

• Briere
    • Pronger
    • Bryzgalov
    • Other (Explain in thread)

I went through the first 20 topics and didn't see anything about amnesty. Homer has reportedly said he's "all for it."

That will come in a to-be-bargained form of buyouts, contract amnesty clauses, and an increase in player escrow funds. In a May interview, Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren said he had not heard of an amnesty possibility - giving the chance to remove one albatross contract - but said he would be "all for it."

Nobody knows if it's going to happen because negotiations are ongoing, however who on the current Flyers roster 'buyout' and why? (see poll for voting & explain in a response).

Picked Pronger because it doesn't look like he will be playing again and we can pick a new captain and move on..

His cap hit will come off. I think I would have picked Bryz, but we don't have a replacement for him,not Leighton please!!

Picked Pronger because it doesn't look like he will be playing again and we can pick a new captain and move on..

His cap hit will come off. I think I would have picked Bryz, but we don't have a replacement for him,not Leighton please!!

If he doesn't play again, his contract is moved to the LTIR. Contracts on the LTIR do not count against the cap. The Flyers still pay his contract on the LTIR but lets be realistic money doesn't particularly stop the Flyers. It would be a waste in terms of CBA and cap space if they bought him out.

Not sure why our best playoff performer in the past 3-4 years is on the list... (Briere)

Bryzgalov is the logical choice if he bombs again this season.

• Like 1

Pronger: only because of now his hockey value is 0. Briere still can produce at a high level and I believe his contract is movable if need be.

Bryzgalov could have a monster year and his value could go up again, I don't hate his contract too much either as he may be what the Flyers are finally looking for in Net.

Pronger is more than likely done career wise. I hate to type it, think it, or say it, but it is. In this case there is no maybe or if the stars align, he has ZERO hockey value. Buy him out and have the room in the future to bulk up the D elsewhere.

I agree with the LTIR with Pronger, but doesn't his salary count against the cap during the open of free agency and don't teams have to be cap compliant by the start of the season?

I am not too sure about the above two questions that's why I lean towards Pronger. I interpreted the topic question as there are no CBA backlashes and the Flyers could buyout one player w/o penalty. Again, I still go with Pronger, the ship has sailed and it's time to move on.

Bryzgalov had a 33-16-7 record on a new team with an entirely new system behind an average defense. I think one would have to give him a few more seasons to see if he is the guy they have been searching for.

• Like 2

Bryzgalov is the logical choice if he bombs again this season.

I agree. I went with Bryz but I would pull the trigger as soon as possible (not wait to see if he bombs again).

With a young team, I'd like to see a young goalie brought in to grow with the team.

If he doesn't play again, his contract is moved to the LTIR. Contracts on the LTIR do not count against the cap. The Flyers still pay his contract on the LTIR but lets be realistic money doesn't particularly stop the Flyers. It would be a waste in terms of CBA and cap space if they bought him out.

It does count against the cap during the off-season, so it could impact their ability to sign free agents. I'm pretty sure there is a limit to the $'s you can stash on LTIR also, so it could be a problem if there are more injuries.

• Like 1

I went with "other" which = no one. Probably a bad choice I admit. Briere can still be a monster in the playoffs and probably a modest bounce back season. Pronger can be LTIR'd from now to doomsday. Bryz is likely to be better this year but is the biggest question mark. Other than Timo, I can't think of anyone and in no way would I buyout Timo. We need him and he deserves better...

I guess if my hand was forced.....Pronger, just to get the drama over with and a new captain. But I'd hire him as a ast coach or some other capacity ASAP.

I went with Bryz. I'd love to get one more look, to satisfy myself that he is garbage...but *if* there is an amnesty clause in the CBA, it will have to be used before the season starts (I think....could be wrong...). Because of the hot streak last year, my heart says give him one more shot to re-create the stats in Phoenix....but my brain sees the OBVIOUS fundamental flaws in his game and I just know he will never, ever win an important playoff series like the Eastern Conf, Final or SCF....that's why we are here, to see our team win....that's why I use this on Bryz, he's an 8 year roadblock to that goal. Even if we suck and don't make the playoffs with an adequate replacement, I'm ok with that so long as we get rid of this stiff.

Pronger would never be my choice, he's merely an inconvience, we can use his money every fall, I'm ok with that. I would also be ok with having him teach our young d-men....he knows a few tricks. I could really see his game and thought process helping Bourdon in particular...I'd let Prongs stay and be part of the team in a teaching capacity and keep his LTIR money.

I have a hard time believing there will be an amnesty buyout. Why reward the rich teams for poor decisions?

I do think though that there could be a rule in which players termed medically unable to play again will be allowed to retire without affecting the cap. The players remaining contract is then payed off by the insurance as per the contract. A player then who does get bought out by insurance will not be able to play again in the NHL.

I have a hard time believing there will be an amnesty buyout. Why reward the rich teams for poor decisions?

I do think though that there could be a rule in which players termed medically unable to play again will be allowed to retire without affecting the cap. The players remaining contract is then payed off by the insurance as per the contract. A player then who does get bought out by insurance will not be able to play again in the NHL.

Well, if the owners get their way on the CBA, amnesty buyouts could work in their favor. They can buyout a player and lower their team's cap number.

Well, if the owners get their way on the CBA, amnesty buyouts could work in their favor. They can buyout a player and lower their team's cap number.

However when a team buys out a large contract, number one they have to have payout the entire contract at once. In Bryz's case for example that total would be I believe just over $51M. It also means that this season we would have Leighton and what ever backup scrub we could sign that is left for a goalie. If you owned the Flyers why would you do that?

You want to throw big money long term contracts at people you should be stuck with the cap hit. Sorry, but buying them off the cap hit defeats the purpose of a cap. It would allow wealthy Clubs to throw crazy money to secure players then just dump them if it doesn't work out. Screw that!

Nobody knows if it's going to happen because negotiations are ongoing, however who on the current Flyers roster 'buyout' and why? (see poll for voting & explain in a response).

Bryz is the easy choice for me:

1) His contract monetary amount

2) The length

3) His erratic play his first year.

I see no sense in buying out Pronger. There is not a doctor in the world that can prove he is not occurring concussion symptoms that prohibit him from playing. There is the contract #'s thing, but that is not compelling enough for me to want to buy him out.

I also see no reason to buy out Briere. He has a couple of years left and though many will cite his high dollar, of the three centers available that year (the other two signed for MORE money), Briere has been the best.

I picked Bryz and her is why. Pronger will be on LTIR and will not count against the Cap. I think if the Flyers move Danny Briere to play right wing with Claude Giroux he would score 40 goals. Even if he remains on the second line there are few better come playoff time.

I only picked Bryz due to the cost and length of his contract. It would put the Flyers in an unenviable position of not having a real backup and playing uphill to acquire a starting goaltender as it surely would cost a lot.

Briere could be traded. His contract is too long, and always was. But a team who thought they had a real shot at the cup might be willing to risk that term for what he brings in the playoffs.

Pronger is done. His contract was too long too. Always was. But at least there is LTIR. It's not total feedom with the money, but at least it's something.

Bryzaster is the guy I'd buyout. I would have done it a year ago. Theres no way you can win a cup with this headcase. I know his name is on one, but he wasn't the complete idiot that he is now. And yet another contract that is way too long. Way!

You want to throw big money long term contracts at people you should be stuck with the cap hit. Sorry, but buying them off the cap hit defeats the purpose of a cap. It would allow wealthy Clubs to throw crazy money to secure players then just dump them if it doesn't work out. Screw that!

Ya, can't argue.

It bothers me almost as much as teams who use lottery picks year after year after year after year after year until finally they HAVE to be good.

The Oilers will likely end up being one of the league powerhouses in a few years. Is it because their gm is so good? No, it's because he is so bad. And yet they will be rewarded for his ineptitude by stockpiling no brainer lottery picks. Sound familiar? :)

Ya, can't argue.

It bothers me almost as much as teams who use lottery picks year after year after year after year after year until finally they HAVE to be good.

The Oilers will likely end up being one of the league powerhouses in a few years. Is it because their gm is so good? No, it's because he is so bad. And yet they will be rewarded for his ineptitude by stockpiling no brainer lottery picks. Sound familiar? :)

Leave the Islanders out of this. ;)

• Like 2

If the Sox could unload Beckett AND Crawford then anyone can be unloaded. ;) OK...maybe not the Bryzsaster....but almost anyone.

I see all this talk of buying out Bryzgalov.

Question: who is going to be the Flyers goalie? Leighton? Let a solid rookie kid play for the chance? Oh yeah been there done that, he is in Columbus now.

C'mon people Bryzgalov did under performed last season, no doubt, but his record wasn't terrible. At this point there are no other options other than buy out Bryzgalov and overpay for another goalie to $hit the bed.

If there is a season in 2012-13, I expect to see a very different Bryzgalov, one that may steal a few games.

Pronger was the dumbest contract in Flyers history. In terms of length, amount given up, and the little nuances like signing the damn thing when he was over 35. If anything, they should do all that they can to part ways with that debacle of a contract LTIR or not.

That's my 2 cents.

Edited by Bertmega
  • Like 1

@Bertmega - completely agree and I'm really surprised that so many think it should be Bryzgalov. To me it's a no-brainer. LTIR or no LTIR, Pronger does nothing for the Flyers now other than reduce their payroll and salary flexibility. And there is no way Snider is going to agree to buy out Bryz after one shaky season, none. I really do think it's a given that Bryz will have a better year this year (if there is a this year) than last. Maybe not Vezina Trophy better, but good enough. And there are no good options for replacing Bryz in goal, unless maybe you want to take on Luongo's insane contract instead.

Edited by JackStraw