Homer | Amnesty | Buyout - "All For It"

Guest Digityman

2012 Amnesty  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you buyout if it was an option?

• Briere
    • Pronger
    • Bryzgalov
    • Other (Explain in thread)

@JackStraw

This is true regarding Pronger's value to the t.

The other glaring issue to me regarding a buy-out of Bryzgalov would be, what high dollar free agent would want to sign here if they could be bought out and unemployed down the stretch for not performing up to the perceived contract value? It just sends the wrong message to players. Pronger makes sense because he probably will never play again, it's like paying a mortgage payment for a house you cannot live in. If he wasn't injured, I know he probably wouldn't be part of the poll. I like many have a ton of respect for the man.

In addition, Pronger may want a buyout as well. He may want to retire and move away from the Philadelphia area, he may want to get his name in the HOF, and he may want to pursue other ventures that being under contract by the Flyers may not allow him.

@JackStraw

This is true regarding Pronger's value to the t.

The other glaring issue to me regarding a buy-out of Bryzgalov would be, what high dollar free agent would want to sign here if they could be bought out and unemployed down the stretch for not performing up to the perceived contract value? It just sends the wrong message to players. Pronger makes sense because he probably will never play again, it's like paying a mortgage payment for a house you cannot live in. If he wasn't injured, I know he probably wouldn't be part of the poll. I like many have a ton of respect for the man.

In addition, Pronger may want a buyout as well. He may want to retire and move away from the Philadelphia area, he may want to get his name in the HOF, and he may want to pursue other ventures that being under contract by the Flyers may not allow him.

If I'm not mistaken he already has moved away. I thought I read that he had moved back to StL.

Ya, can't argue.

It bothers me almost as much as teams who use lottery picks year after year after year after year after year until finally they HAVE to be good.

The Oilers will likely end up being one of the league powerhouses in a few years. Is it because their gm is so good? No, it's because he is so bad. And yet they will be rewarded for his ineptitude by stockpiling no brainer lottery picks. Sound familiar? :)

Doesn't sound familiar at all. The Oilers had a salary cap working for them and positive revenue stream. Teams who've spent time at the bottom of the charts and gotten multiple high draft picks traditionally did so either in or near bankruptcy.

In my beloved Pens' case, they would certainly have folded if not for a guy named Mario who used the money the team owed him plus a lot of capital he was able to raise investors for to save the franchise while they were sucking so badly. The picks were incidental to nearly folding as a franchise. I would imagine that's something the Flyers will never have to worry about with a 6 million man market and a silver spoon guy like Snider calling the shots after making so much from daddy's money ;)

@Bertmega The big reason I chose Bryz is his glaring fundamental flaws. This is the reason I don't think he can ever win an important playoff series (ECF or SCF). Have you ever seen a goalie go side to side and do that outrageous half step shuffle of his? What is that? Goalies are supposed to be smooth, effortless, agile, nimble, althletic....Bryz is none of these things.

Goalies are supposed to be smooth, effortless, agile, nimble, althletic....STOP ******* PUCKS! Bryz is does none of these things.

Hey wait a sec, I heard once that it was NOT the goalie's job to stop the puck. Where did I hear that? Maybe Bryz subscribes to that view.

@jammer2

You have a good point his fundamentals are quite suspect, but I would hope that he spent the last 4 months practicing like no other.

I am just very concerned with who his replacement would be.

Out of all the Flyers goalies in the last decade, I think he is the best, despite his technical flaws. Then again that isn't saying too much.

Wow, if ever I typed a backhanded compliment that would have to be it. lol

Edited by Bertmega

I think most would pick Pronger, but there will likely be a LITR exception in the cap, so you still have the ability to ride out his salary.

Bryzgalov, I think, is too early. he's not the first free agent goalie to be signed to big dollars only to disappoint in his first year with the expectations.

I would actually pick Briere. I like Danny, but with three years left at a $6.5 mil cap hit plus a no trade clause, that's pretty steep for 16 goals and 33 assists for 49 points.

Plus, the amnesty would cost minimal. It wouldn't be the cost of the cap hit, it would be based off of whatever salary he was owed for the remainder of the contract. He's owed $12 mil over the next three seasons (7 mil, $3 mil, $2 mil) but the amnesty would free up $19.5 mil of cap space over three years.

Until we know the actual terms of a buyout/amnesty/whatever it will be hard to make the decision one way or t'other.

I'd say "Pronger" off the top - especially if he *is* done - to give him piece of mind and allow him to "retire" rather than have this drama for the next five years.

"Bryzgalov" is a close second and might take the top spot given length of contract relative to performance. I expect the Flyers to saw through their ankle with a rusty hacksaw before that happens, however.

Danny Briere isn't going anywhere. Period. Full stop. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

WAIVE SHELLEY NOWTM

I could not bring myself to vote on this topic. Yes, Bryz was bad last season but showed glimpses of what he could be. As a business decision you don't give up after one year, you work out how to make it work!

Picking Pronger helps for one month, Briere could still have value in a trade but he is is still a heart and soul Flyers guy.

IF this kind of crap is going to be allowed it HAS to be Pronger. Briere is average at average cost, the little bastard, but does perform come playoff time. Bryzgalov is a bad idea. You have no quality replacement and he did do well enough to get the number 5 seed. With the amount invested you want to wait another season and see if he plays how he did in Phoenix. If not you amnesty him next year. Pronger may be a scumbag at times, but he HAS earned some respect and if he's truly done, give him the buyout and let him retire with dignity instead of like a forgotten gimp.

@Polaris922

Philly got the #5 seed IN SPITE of Bryzgalov. How a guy who moves so slow, can't handle the puck and looks totally clueless managed to con that contract from anyone is way beyond my comprehension. Remember how bad Fleury looked in that series? That was Bryz for months at a time. Then he has the nerve to blame everyone else. He blamed us, the fans, for him sucking!! He's the one bright spot to a lockout.

@Polaris922

Philly got the #5 seed IN SPITE of Bryzgalov. How a guy who moves so slow, can't handle the puck and looks totally clueless managed to con that contract from anyone is way beyond my comprehension. Remember how bad Fleury looked in that series? That was Bryz for months at a time. Then he has the nerve to blame everyone else. He blamed us, the fans, for him sucking!! He's the one bright spot to a lockout.

But do you abandon any hope if a rebound, count in Leighton, and leave Pronger in limbo? Taking a chance Bryzgalov doesn't rebound for... Say... The Islanders against you? Could win the Burke-Howson award for worst GM that way.

He had a .909% save and a 2.48 GAA behind a struggling defense. Middle of the pack stats. Better than some good goalies out there and better than Bobrovsky. Setting last season aside though, what options do you have in goal if you do this? I don't see any above AHL caliber. Turco? Nittymaki? I sure don't see anyone better than Bryzgalov still available.

Edited by Polaris922
  • Like 1

Signing Bryz to that contract already has you in Burke/Howson company. Can he rebound? He can't be any worse. Like I said, the guy has no lateral movement, slow reflexes, a bad glove hand and may be the worst puckhandler the Flyers have ever had (and that's saying a lot). Holmgrens pass is he was likely told to sign him.

We played a game on Tuesday night. Our goalie brought his 2 kids, 4 and 5. He spent the entire game fielding questions from them about when they could drink out of his water bottle (the one on the back of the net) get something to eat and go to the bathroom. We outshot the opposition 24-8 and lost 5-3. It was almost 6-3, cause they shot from their end with about 3 seconds left in the 2nd period and he was out of the net talking to his kids. he literally had to dive to make the save. I know what it's like to have Bryz in net...believe me.

The thing with Briere is, he shows up in the playoffs. 72 points in 68 games as a Flyer.

Totally agree!

I still don't understand why people ride Dan? Every team in the league wishes they had someone so consistent during the post season. Thats all that matters. 6.5? Money well spent.

Wait...so year after year of lottery picks is not a guarantee of success? ;)

Well I guess it helps when Crosby happens to be one of your 1sts, then Malkin falls to you at #2. Meanwhile the only time Philly ever finishes last just happens to be one of the weakest drafts ever... or someone gets Patrick Stefan or Alexander Daigle as the #1...or you have a complete idiot who takes Rick DiPietro first overall.