Flyers will retire #2

Guest DaGreatGazoo

I know this was discussed the over the weekend, didn't see where anyone had posted this...

Flyers chairman Ed Snider told reporters, "If a guy's good enough for the Hall of Fame, he's good enough to have his number retired."

That means Howe's No. 2 soon will be hanging from the Wells Fargo Center rafters

I know this was discussed the over the weekend, didn't see where anyone had posted this...

Flyers chairman Ed Snider told reporters, "If a guy's good enough for the Hall of Fame, he's good enough to have his number retired."

That means Howe's No. 2 soon will be hanging from the Wells Fargo Center rafters

Well it's about time, Howe was great for the Flyers when he played here and deserves to have his number retired. It should have been done earlier.

Wow that is awesome. Too bad I dont fit into my #2 Howe jersey from 1986 anymore. I still have it though!

This will prevent #2 from being insulted like it was when Lukas Krajicek sullied it with his poor play.

(BTW when Modry wore #26 I was so disgusted I emailed Brian Propp at his website expressing my distaste and he thanked me so much for this sentiment and for my support)

Yea Howe!!!! I love that Flyers from that era are getting some recognition.

Yea Howe!!!! I love that Flyers from that era are getting some recognition.

the propp, kerr, poulin, howe mccrimmon team was the team that cemented my fandom. the late 80's team could have won a cup were it not for gretzky's oilers being at their apex too. i'm with you, those guys deserve some recognition from management.

• Like 1

Aside from Ashbee, I don't think the Flyers have retired any number of a player who is not in the Hockey Hall of Fame. And Ashbee's clearly a special case.

There are 11 people related to the Flyers in the Hall - and you wouldn't really count Allan Stanley, Darryl Sittler, Paul Coffey or Dale Hawerchuk as "Flyers" first.

That leaves Clarke, Barber and Parent (along with Snider, Keith Allen, Gene Hart) and now Mark Howe.

Howe is the first Flyer player to have his number retired who didn't win a Cup, though. I have a feeling we'll see a few more in the next few decades...

I think Hextall is a prime candidate and, of course, I'd advocate for JLC :-)

the propp, kerr, poulin, howe mccrimmon team was the team that cemented my fandom. the late 80's team could have won a cup were it not for gretzky's oilers being at their apex too. i'm with you, those guys deserve some recognition from management.

You and me both!!!!!...I was born just after Cup #2 was won and the Poulin Propp and Kerr teams were my first exposure to the Flyers (and hockey) and I fell in love, really hard with them as an 8 year old boy. I have loved the Flyers ever since but never as much as the 1985-1987 teams. Those guys were bigger than life to me and they captured my immagination.

If they ever invent the holodeck (as seen in Star Trek the next generation) I plan to program it to re-live through 1985-1987 to feel what it would have been like to win those cups vs the Oilers (and to save Pelle's life too).

You and me both!!!!!...I was born just after Cup #2 was won and the Poulin Propp and Kerr teams were my first exposure to the Flyers (and hockey) and I fell in love, really hard with them as an 8 year old boy. I have loved the Flyers ever since but never as much as the 1985-1987 teams. Those guys were bigger than life to me and they captured my immagination.

If they ever invent the holodeck (as seen in Star Trek the next generation) I plan to program it to re-live through 1985-1987 to feel what it would have been like to win those cups vs the Oilers (and to save Pelle's life too).

That team with those players mean a lot to people like us. Those teams in the 80's were the reason for many of us becoming flyers fans and a big part of the way we bleed orange and black. The blog article I wrote "I am Rick Tocchet" kinda sums up a lot of this and made us into who we are today as fans.

Aside from Ashbee, I don't think the Flyers have retired any number of a player who is not in the Hockey Hall of Fame. And Ashbee's clearly a special case.

There are 11 people related to the Flyers in the Hall - and you wouldn't really count Allan Stanley, Darryl Sittler, Paul Coffey or Dale Hawerchuk as "Flyers" first.

That leaves Clarke, Barber and Parent (along with Snider, Keith Allen, Gene Hart) and now Mark Howe.

Howe is the first Flyer player to have his number retired who didn't win a Cup, though. I have a feeling we'll see a few more in the next few decades...

I think Hextall is a prime candidate and, of course, I'd advocate for JLC :-)

I second a Hextall nomination and would add in Lindros as well. Seriously we won't ever see anyone else don 88 in the same way again.

I can't see them retiring #88 - but I also don't see a large number of people clamouring to wear it. There are only two in the league right now.

Hmmm... I wonder if the ping pong balls dropped differently, if Pat Kane would have worn 88 in Philly...

Still, I think, like Pelle, it'll remain "unofficially" retired.

"I think it would be a great gesture if they hung both his and Mccrimmon's Jerseys at the same time. Somehow I don't think John Leclaire would mind."

I know John.

I don't recall ever hearing him say a jealous or envious word about anyone.

Wasn't there a suggestion on the old forum of either having a Flyers hall of honored numbers (not retired), or hanging banners with numbers, and on each numbered banner a list of honored names?

I agree with the hesitation to retire numbers 100%. There should be no debate whether a player deserves to have their number retired. Very few players were really one of the greats.

That said, Lindros, LeClair, and Lindbergh should be honored.

I think it would be a great gesture if they hung both his and Mccrimmon's Jerseys at the same time. Somehow I don't think John Leclaire would mind.

While John's character is affable and easy going, I probably (wince) would prefer John LeClaire be retired instead of The Beasts. That is not to take ANYTHING away from Brad as he was outstanding with the Flyers- yet the 5 seasons only thing compared to LeClairs 10 seasons weighs heavy on my mind. Johnny is the second best LW to ever play for the Flyers (and one could argue perhaps the best because he played in a much more restrictive era and took a pounding, but kept on ticking).

It is hard for me to say, especially with the tragic plane crash. But if we are looking at players merits alone, I would prefer to see Leclairs name on the number hanging from the rafters instead of Mccrimmons.

While John's character is affable and easy going, I probably (wince) would prefer John LeClaire be retired instead of The Beasts. That is not to take ANYTHING away from Brad as he was outstanding with the Flyers- yet the 5 seasons only thing compared to LeClairs 10 seasons weighs heavy on my mind. Johnny is the second best LW to ever play for the Flyers (and one could argue perhaps the best because he played in a much more restrictive era and took a pounding, but kept on ticking).

It is hard for me to say, especially with the tragic plane crash. But if we are looking at players merits alone, I would prefer to see Leclairs name on the number hanging from the rafters instead of Mccrimmons.

I am a John Leclair fan also. I don't know if you caught Mark Howe's induction speech but, the humble guy that Mark seems to be said he would have never made it to where he is today without his partner "the Beast". At the very least, I would like to see the #2 Jersey hanging in the rafters with a decent size #10 in black patch on it. I think that would allow the Flyers to pay tribute to Brad and family and still allow them to hang Johnny Leclair's #10 in the rafters too. This might be the ramblings of a drunk guy at this hour but it seems like a good idea to me.

At the very least, I would like to see the #2 Jersey hanging in the rafters with a decent size #10 in black patch on it. I think that would allow the Flyers to pay tribute to Brad and family and still allow them to hang Johnny Leclair's #10 in the rafters too. This might be the ramblings of a drunk guy at this hour but it seems like a good idea to me.

That is a GREAT idea. You should send an e-mail to the Flyers with this enormously respectful suggestion. I like the fact that it also bonds Brad and Mark together forever as Flyers. RIP Brad.