Truth to the Nashville/Philly talks?

Guest Phillygrump

I'm trying to figure out what's up with Schenn's cap hit. Based on what was reported early in the season, it shouldn't be 3+ million anymore, since he didn't play in all 82 games this year.

i believe schenn's adjusted cap hit is $2,115,000 for this season.

EDIT: oh.. forget it... i really don't know. i saw $1,403, 608 as the tracker amount for this year. is that his adjusted hit? man is this stuff confusing.

Edited by Bakanekimiwa

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cap geek has allot of info in their FAQ section and explains all these rules (slide, LTIR, waivers and like 20 other things. It was interesting. Here is what it said about LTIR:

How does long-term injured reserve (LTIR) work?

Teams receive cap relief when a player is considered to have a "bona-fide long-term injury" — injuries that cause a player to miss at least 10 games or 24 days. This is one of the most commonly misunderstood aspects of the CBA.

Just because a player is on LTIR does not automatically grant the team extra cap space. In the event a player is placed on LTIR, his cap hit still counts toward the team's overall cap payroll. Relief only comes if replacing the player's salary pushes the team's cap payroll to date over the cap. The amount of relief is limited to the amount the team has gone over the cap (less the amount of payroll room the team had at the time the LTIR transaction took place), not the entire amount of the injured player's salary.

There is no formal designation of "replacement players."

The LTIR exemption isn't something you can sign other players long-term with. It accumulates during the season and - as noted above - only applies in some situations. It adds space to the cap, but doesn't create a season-to-season exemption - you still have to be in compliance (within 10%?) in the offseason.

I do expect the Flyers to spend and get virtually all of the LTIR exemption used over the course of a season - but it seems more useful in terms of bringing up players and making in-season trades.

@radoran Yeah, the LTIR is handy, but as you noted, it kind of screws you when trying to add free agents during the off season. It does put you in a favourable position when making in season trades, but as far as team building goes, it leaves you out in the cold with the unrestricted FA acquisitions.

Edited by jammer2

i believe schenn's adjusted cap hit is $2,115,000 for this season.

EDIT: oh.. forget it... i really don't know. i saw $1,403, 608 as the tracker amount for this year. is that his adjusted hit? man is this stuff confusing.

I do believe it droped down to 1.75 or something like that the minute he missed a game because of bonuses if he played all 82 games this season.

@jammer2

Well, if your gm actually knows the rules when signing an over 35 contract.....

We have beat the over 35 mistake thing to death. It happened and we can't do anything about it now. I say we stand pat and don't make a change until we see what happens. I base this on a few things:

• Lets see what Guffs does when he gets back. Bourdon has been playing well and Guffs really well before the wrist injury.
  • What happens if Giroux is hurt worse than they are saying. Might need to trade for offence, not defence.
  • Read and Schenn will now be more prone to reinjury now also. Again, might need to fill a hole up front.
  • Here is an idea I have not heard discussed-However unlickly, what if Prongers diagnosis is wrong? These clowns seem to really be guessing with all the concussions around the league. And no, I'm not holding my breath.
  • Once we sign a big time d-man, we will probably have given up 2-3 assets and stressed the cap limit beyond belief. LTIR will f@#k us next summer because of the way it works.
  • That big d-man will probably have to leave us via UFA (raises to players, LTIR doesn't count in off season so we would be WAY over the 10% rule) and we will have given up assets. ( my understanding of that rule might be wrong but I don't think so)
  • and finally, Why do we keep thinking about Weber? I'll go crazy if we do that. We are going to wind up with an 8 million dollar defencemen for like 7-8 years with a NMC when Holmgren tries to sign him. Worse, as mentioned, he will probably have to go because of cap issues anyway so we rented him and lost some really good young talent and picks. To think everyone is upset with contracts and lenght in the 4-6 mill range but ok with 7.5 - 8.5???

Just my rambling thoughts...

http://www.philly.co...ut_Pronger.html

"Shea Weber, Nashville's standout defenseman, is reportedly on the block, but his $7.5 million salary would make it difficult for the Flyers to acquire him. The Flyers will have $3.4 million in cap space after Tom Sestito is sent to the minors."

Interesting as its the first time I read anywhere that stats Weber is available. There will be tons of rumor til the deadline or when we acquire another dman.

Edited by Vincent05

@idahophilly

We may have beat it to death, but I'll still bring it up when appropriate. Hey, nobody had a problem telling me I was wrong when I disagreed with the signing.

Gustaffsson may come back and be quite serviceable. But you won't beat the Bruins with the D we have right now. No way, no how. Especially with the stiff in net we have.

If Giroux is hurt worse than we think, we aren't replacing him. Weber may be available because Nashville likely can't afford Rinne, Suter and him. Who's trading Claudes equivalent to us?

Pronger is apparently feeling nauseous, losing his balance, experiencing headaches, I'm no doctor but that's post concussion syndrome.

I hate some of the contracts Holmgren has given out. Why? Because the players will either be too old before they're over (Pronger, Briere, Bryzgalov) or they were never worth it in the first place (Bryzgalov) Shea Weber is just entering the prime years of his hockey career. He's big, tough, talented and young. EIGHT years from now he'll be younger than Pronger. What's not to like?

@idahophilly

We may have beat it to death, but I'll still bring it up when appropriate. Hey, nobody had a problem telling me I was wrong when I disagreed with the signing.

Gustaffsson may come back and be quite serviceable. But you won't beat the Bruins with the D we have right now. No way, no how. Especially with the stiff in net we have.

If Giroux is hurt worse than we think, we aren't replacing him. Weber may be available because Nashville likely can't afford Rinne, Suter and him. Who's trading Claudes equivalent to us?

Pronger is apparently feeling nauseous, losing his balance, experiencing headaches, I'm no doctor but that's post concussion syndrome.

I hate some of the contracts Holmgren has given out. Why? Because the players will either be too old before they're over (Pronger, Briere, Bryzgalov) or they were never worth it in the first place (Bryzgalov) Shea Weber is just entering the prime years of his hockey career. He's big, tough, talented and young. EIGHT years from now he'll be younger than Pronger. What's not to like?

There's still no way I give Weber more than 4-5 years. Look at how Doughty is stinking up the joint this year after a HUGE long term extension. If the player loses motivation, or suffers any sort of long term injury that affects his play, we're screwed.

There's still no way I give Weber more than 4-5 years. Look at how Doughty is stinking up the joint this year after a HUGE long term extension. If the player loses motivation, or suffers any sort of long term injury that affects his play, we're screwed.

Think he would go for a respectable base salary with relatively easy incentives to earn, assuming he is playing somewhat well?

Maybe one million for +30, one million for 50 points?

Think he would go for a respectable base salary with relatively easy incentives to earn, assuming he is playing somewhat well?

Maybe one million for +30, one million for 50 points?

I doubt it. A guy of Weber's stature is looking for a long guaranteed contract. Doughty just got an 8 year, $56M contract and Weber will be looking for something similar, I'm sure.

HNIC just reported that David Poile (Nashville GM) has said he won't be trading Weber or Suter until the trade deadline and won't trade them at all if Nashville is in playoff contention.

Not surprised... it's just a GM maximizing the return on his assets if he has to move them.

idaho your correct the dude has a 7.5 cap hit yeah its prorated but we have to move someone and those dudes have NTC. its nothing more than a dream for weber

Dream is what keeps it fun and also keeps us going right? Life would also suck with no dream lol.

I'm fine with 4-5 years. Heck, I'm fine with 2-3. I'd just love to see Holmgren lure someone in their prime over, instead of guys who used to be or never really was. I think Holmgren has a good eye for young talent. I'm happy with how Jagr has panned out. But Jagr won't be around for long. We've got a lot of good young players, but we're stuck with mediocre goaltending for a longtime unless Bob somehow develops while not playing. Giving the D a shot is the only way I see of improving this team.

We've got a lot of good young players, but we're stuck with mediocre goaltending for a longtime unless Bob somehow develops while not playing.

And even if Bob *does* develop rapidly, what are we going to do with our overpriced, overhyped, overrated #1? Who else is stupid enough to take him off our hands? Homer and Snider F**ked this one up pretty good.