Truth to the Nashville/Philly talks?

Guest Phillygrump

With the breaking news about Pronger being done for the year does this possibly validate the Nashville/Philly rumors that have speculated the Flyers have been talking to the Preds about Weber?

If Pronger is done for the year with his career in jeopardy does it free up space enough to add Weber? Maybe the Flyers knew Pronger was not looking good and would be finished this season so they inquired about Weber.

I'm not trying to be delusional, but I thought it was weird that these rumors came just prior to the announcement that Pronger was advised not to return this season.

What does everyone think?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The guys on NHL network said we're up against the wall re: cap space. Since Pronger is over 35 his cap hit stays even if he goes, leaving us very little room to do anything unless we dump a bunch of salary somewhere else. But who do we give up?

They would put Pronger on LTIR which would allow them to exceed the cap by the amount of Pronger's cap hit.

According to capgeek, Pronger is on LTIR already, giving the Flyers a bit over 2 million in cap credit right now. However, that also includes Gus and Lilja, who will be coming off soon. They'd need to shed over 2 million in pro-rated salary to fit Weber in under the cap this year. Suter, on the other hand, may fit.

Edited by AJgoal

According to capgeek, Pronger is on LTIR already, giving the Flyers a bit over 2 million in cap credit right now. However, that also includes Gus and Lilja, who will be coming off soon. They'd need to shed over 2 million in pro-rated salary to fit Weber in under the cap this year. Suter, on the other hand, may fit.

They can waive Walker again, send down Marshall and when Schenn comes back, a forward needs to be sent to the Phantoms. That would clear over about 3mil in additional space.

Not sure that will be enough. On the surface, they're still 266 thousand over. That's with Lilja and Gus still on LTIR, Marshall, Walker, and Z sent down. Bourdon goes down when either Lilja or Gus comes back, but that basically evens out. Schenn may have to go back down, again, if you want to fit Weber in. Of course, if you want to bring Weber in, you may be trading Schenn anyway.

In order to get a dman like Suter, Schenn would have to be traded. If its Webbber, then its Schenn and a whole lot more. The only other option is to try to trade Briere and have Schenn take his spot at center. Of course Briere has a huge contract is an older player, and has a NTC, so it would be tought to get him to go to Nashville. The other move is to look for a solid dman , rahter than a star, then we wouldnt have to give up as much. I thought that Cody Franson had potential, Toronto got him from Nashville for nothing...

this is from spector's hockey site: not saying I like the options thrown out here, but first time I've heard anyone mention Gonchar. No thanks...Sens can keep him.

Pierre LeBrun and Scott Burnside examined the options available to the Philadelphia Flyers to replace Chris Pronger, who’s out for the season and playoffs to post-concussion syndrome. The Flyers could take a closer look at which defenseman are available by the February 27th trade deadline. If Nashville’s Shea Weber or Ryan Suter are available they’d be obvious targets, but the Predators want to re-sign them. Ottawa’s Sergei Gonchar could be another target, while the Carolina Hurricanes could shop UFAs-to-be Tim Gleason, Jaroslav Spacek and Bryan Allen.

SPECTOR’S NOTE: They also noted the Flyers could get some cap relief by placing Pronger on LTIR, which would enable them to go over the cap ceiling to add another defenseman if required. If Pronger is forced to retire, however, his salary still counts against the Flyers cap, as he falls under the “over-35″ rule, but the Flyers could get around that by keeping him on LTIR. Don’t expect Weber or Suter to be wearing a Flyers uniform after February 27th, as the Preds won’t move either guy, especially if they’re still in the playoff chase. The Senators would love to dump Gonchar’s salary, but it remains to be seen if the Flyers would want to take him on, especially when they’ve also got to re-sign Matt Carle or lose him to free agency next summer. Gleason and Allen could be more affordable, short-term options. For now, Flyers GM Paul Holmgren won’t panic, as his team is still playing well, but he could take a good look at what’s available come mid-February in the trade market.

Edited by DaGreatGazoo

I think Gleason would be an interesting option. I'm with phlfly though...I really can't see the concussion really keeping Pronger out the entire season AND playoffs. I can only really remember Crosby (i'm sure there's been a few more) recently who sat out an entire season with a concussion.

I think Gleason would be an interesting option. I'm with phlfly though...I really can't see the concussion really keeping Pronger out the entire season AND playoffs. I can only really remember Crosby (i'm sure there's been a few more) recently who sat out an entire season with a concussion.

Pronger is past the point of a concussion. He has been officially diagnosed with "Severe post concussion syndrome." This was the same diagnosis that ended Primeau's career. This diagnosis isn't the result of one concussion. This is developed after years of head trauma and has major ramification to ones well being and quality of life beyond hockey. This isn't something you just suck up and play with.

Marc Savard's career was ended by a concussion. Marc Staal suffered a concussion last season and hasn't played since. Lappy missed all of last season and his career is over. It's just not the same as a knee injury where you get your surgery, do your rehab, and have a timetable for returning.

Edited by JackStraw

Marc Savard's career was ended by a concussion. Marc Staal suffered a concussion last season and hasn't played since. Lappy missed all of last season and his career is over. It's just not the same as a knee injury where you get your surgery, do your rehab, and have a timetable for returning.

Yeah, I know there have definitely been many careers ended by concussions...i didn't realize Staal's concussion was from last season, for some reason i thought that happened this season. I'm just hoping Pronger can come back from this, in part due to not really remembering him having any concussion problems in the past. All it takes is one that is serious enough though.

Yeah, I know there have definitely been many careers ended by concussions...i didn't realize Staal's concussion was from last season, for some reason i thought that happened this season. I'm just hoping Pronger can come back from this, in part due to not really remembering him having any concussion problems in the past. All it takes is one that is serious enough though.

I think it's very possible that he's had them and either not really known it, or just played through it. That's what everyone used to do, but you just can't do that anymore. Remember, he didn't even know he got one recently until long afterwards when he thought he had a "virus".

Weber is to expensive...

Not really, depending on what you're willing to move to bring him in. I'd give serious consideration to moving JVR if the Flyers can get Weber signed long term. Moving him along with demoting Marshall, Walker, Harry Z., and Bourdon pretty much clears what you would need. Without a new CBA in place, speculating on future years isn't really worthwhile right now.

There is a way... We should get 5 million from Pronger going on LTIR. If we couls send Scheen that would be another 3 million giving us 8 mill to fit Weber's 7.5 million hit...

Schenn is concussed and apparently had a setback today. He's got little value until he returns to the ice healthy and proves that he can play in the NHL..

I'm trying to figure out what's up with Schenn's cap hit. Based on what was reported early in the season, it shouldn't be 3+ million anymore, since he didn't play in all 82 games this year.