UPDATED: Should Pronger Stay Captain? / Homer leaning towards not naming new one

Guest hf101

Especially seeing is how there is no way to know when, if ever, he'll return, just go ahead and give someone the C. As you yourself are pointing out, essentially it's just a letter on a jersey. It's not going to drastically (or at all) change the dynamic and leadership on the team. Do it and move on. If Pronger comes back and wants the C back, give it to him. It's not that big a deal.

sure, but on the "no big deal" front, why even play with it? the team has a good by-committee thing going on right now, i don't see any need to re-emphasize a leadership hierarchy. if the team bogs down in january/february/march and an internal wake up is needed, then take a look at it, but a bunch of A's seem to be doing the job now, let it roll.

At this point, Pronger may never play again, sounds dire, but given his age and how bad this concussion appears to be, it's not out of the question. Given the long term prognosis, naming a new captain only makes sense. Not disrespecting Prongs at all, it's just business....they need a new leader.Maybe naming Briere gives him a spark, he seems like the type to shoulder that type of responsibility with no problem....although Kimo would be a excellent choice also. Is this team cursed or what?

this is what i'm thinking.... pronger could be done for more than just this season. i could very easily see him LTIR ala lappy, rathje... etc, etc. people wondered how we'd get away from his monstrous contract, well, i know LTIR isn't exactly 'getting away from it', but it's the next best thing. over the summer, i said.. you just never know what can happen. well, i wasn't expecting this either.

NOT saying i'm happy about his injury or that i don't want him back. i think pronger is a game changer still.. at his age. i just think that he's got to be thinking more about life AFTER hockey at this point and with the bevy of surgeries, serious eye injury... and now THIS. at 37, being told your season is over with ??? hanging over the beyond... he's not stupid.

sure, but on the "no big deal" front, why even play with it? the team has a good by-committee thing going on right now, i don't see any need to re-emphasize a leadership hierarchy. if the team bogs down in january/february/march and an internal wake up is needed, then take a look at it, but a bunch of A's seem to be doing the job now, let it roll.

I don't have a huge problem if they "let it roll", and if they feel that they want to show Pronger that respect I'm fine with it. But personally, although I was a big Pronger fan even before he became a Flyer, I don't think he's done anything AS a Flyer to warrent that kind of special treatment. But both Briere and Timonen, especially Timonen, have been very important to the Flyers for a number of years now. I think that they both deserve that kind of recognition. Imo, Timonen has been the most valuable Flyer over the period of time since he joined the team. I thought he should have been named captain after Forsberg, instead of Smith then instead of Richards, and then yes, instead of Pronger. Just my opinion.

i agree, i wouldn't keep the C with pronger for special treatment purposes. just from a leadership balance point of view, what the flyers have right now seems to be doing the trick. handing the C to timonen or briere probably wouldn't screw anything up, but...on the other hand, they both seem to be enjoying being slightly out of center stage, and who knows if the kids on the team start acting/playing different if someone steps into an "i'm the leader" role. probably wouldn't change any thing, but kind of a not-broke/don't-fix thing for me.

i'd go with timonen, too, if pressed. briere in particular strikes me as a guy who is most comfortable as a 2nd-line/highly-effective-but-still-supporting-cast player. timonen would just shrug and carry on like always.

All together now..."it ain't broke so don't try and fix it."

Personally I think Pronger has earned the "out of respect" bit - maybe folks are forgetting just how fkd the Flyers were before he came over. I'm not saying the turnaround was all his doing but there's a reason why we "overpaid" for his services: the Flyers needed adult supervision in a bad way at that point and Pronger must've provided a healthy dose of it just by being in the room.

In any case I trust Lavy will know the right thing to do regarding the captaincy this year.

Guess I'm in the minority, but I don't think the team can assign someone else the "C" at this stage. Pronger hasn't retired, and you don't take the captaincy away from a guy due to injury, it sends the wrong message. What if Pronger comes out of this perfectly fine at the start of next year (I realize it's a long shot, but not outside the realm of possibility)? Do you give it back to him, thereby stripping your newly anointed captain of the "C"?

I agree. Just have three A's instead. The leaders will be leaders regardless of what is sewn on their sweater.