How many lockouts does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop?

Guest fanaticV3.0

Aside from when I was a young kid, most of my time as a fan has taken place during rough times for the sport of hockey. There's been two lockouts and when there isn't one there's always buzz about how another one is coming.

Most of my time as a fan has also taken place in which the league has done a ton of differe things - most of which have failed - to generate more interest in the sport. Whether it's new teams in new markets, a change in the game to increase offense, or something along those lines, there's always talk about what the sport can do to generate more interest.

I forget exact when, but I've actually seen it stated that hockey was no longer a top 4 sport. That was several years ago now and I jus thave to wonder at what point does the sport just not have the ability to bounce back from another problem? It's already lost popularity and another lockout is the last thing an unpopular sport needs. Even as someone who is a fan, I can say my tolerance is pretty low for this kind of stuff. I don't think I'm really in the mindset that I can say I'll miss the game if there is a stoppage, but more likely be annoyed it's happening yet again.

Maybe it's just for me personally, but I don't think the NHL can handle much more of this.

I been thinking about this post a lot lately. Does anyone know what the league's TV ratings and attendance numbers were this past "season"?

I don't know if it's just me, but I really did not give a **** this past season. I barely paid attention. I have almost no tolerance for millionaires and billionaires arguing over how much money the other gets. I was turned off before the season even started. Once it started, I had trouble watching, and that was before the Flyers sucked. When I did occasionally tune in, I found myself saying, "Who the **** is that?" more than a few times.

I was at a party a few weeks ago and talking to some girl who is a friend of my wife's. She said when hockey came back, her and her dad were hooked. They watched every second of every game, and more non-Flyer games than ever. The lockout made her want to watch more. I didn't do that for me, I was just angry.

• Like 1

@fanaticV3.0

I felt the same way this year. In fact, in our disgust Dad and I gave up the season tix in December out of sheer disgust. I'm always a hockey fan, and I'm always a Flyers fan, but we just decided these priks didn't deserve our STH money last year....and this year is still in question.

I feel a bit guility for supporting the tools that run our fine game, but to be honest, again....when they took the game away, I watched more games and more often. When they take it away, I find I submerge myself into it deeper, the phrase "absence makes the heart grow fonder" was certainly at work here.

I'm like fanatic and sarsippius. The lockouts have left me with diminished interest in the NHL. I'll watch some games, but I no longer get as much enjoyment out of them.

I still get up for minor, prep, college hockey and juniors, but the NHL could fold tomorrow and I wouldn't lose much sleep.

• Like 1

@fanaticV3.0

I felt the same way this year. In fact, in our disgust Dad and I gave up the season tix in December out of sheer disgust. I'm always a hockey fan, and I'm always a Flyers fan, but we just decided these priks didn't deserve our STH money last year....and this year is still in question.

I was just so annoyed. I hate shortened seasons, plus the whole greed of both sides, it being the umpteenth lockout in my lifetime, and when I did tune in, there were a bunch of nobodys on the team.

I'm like fanatic and sarsippius. The lockouts have left me with diminished interest in the NHL. I'll watch some games, but I no longer get as much enjoyment out of them.

I still get up for minor, prep, college hockey and juniors, but the NHL could fold tomorrow and I wouldn't lose much sleep.

I'm curious to see what my reaction is next year. Will a clean slate spark my interest again or will I continue barely giving a ****?

I feel a bit guility for supporting the tools that run our fine game, but to be honest, again....when they took the game away, I watched more games and more often. When they take it away, I find I submerge myself into it deeper, the phrase "absence makes the heart grow fonder" was certainly at work here.

It wasn't for me. After 4 lockouts, I wasn't even angry, I just didn't care anymore.