So what now?

Guest LeafSuck16

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two questions:

1) Where does the 8m plus come from to re-sign Weber?

2) Where does the next high-end center to replace Briere come from?

1. Flyers projected cap space next year is 4.5 million, with only Jagr, Carle, and Voracek on the healthy roster needing contracts (Harry Z, Marshall, and Bourdon are RFAs, as well, and I assume that Laperriere and Bets will not be re-signed). If you assume Pronger is done, that's another 4.9 million. This also assumes that the cap stays the same, which with a new CBA needed, is impossible to judge which way it will go. but it isn't as impossible as it seems on the face.

2. Giroux, Couturier, Talbot, Read. Talbot's the oldest at 27. While I'm not in favor of ditching Schenn, It's not like the Flyers have a dearth of young players able to play top 9 minutes at center, either.

I think Pronger's career is over.

I tend to think so too. He's 37, has done everything a person can do in a hockey career and is financially secure. Why is he going to try to come back? I don't see him doing it under these circumstances.

Meanwhile, I think if the Flyers trade for high priced help on defense, that will be an obvious indication of the seriousness and career ending nature of his injury.

I think that given Pronger's age, that his career could possibly be over. While I would hate to see that, it might be the best thing not only for Pronger and his family but for his team.

If Pronger's cap hit comes off it gives the team a lot of room to try to acquire a stud defenseman. Given that possibility, I would seriously start calling Nashville to talk about either Suter or Weber. My preference would be Weber as he is bigger and the more physical of the two.

I hope Pronger has a speedy recovery and doesn't suffer long term effects of the injury but this is seeming like Preems all over again.

I could live with losing jvr I think. Is Carle a throw in?

I could live with losing jvr I think. Is Carle a throw in?

to me the answer is no, how does giving up a guy giving you 20-25 a night entering in his prime make the the team better ? i don't think any of the 3 rookies are ready to step into top 4 minutes putting carle into the mix gives you zero sum gain imo. the preds need scoring we need defense it seems like we'd make natural trading partners... what about i don't like saying it danny b and jvr ?

Pronger is done for the season, so what now? Who do they get to fill a huge hole without giving up the farm now that each and every team knows we need D help?

We're 12-2-2 without him. What hole? Guy hasn't had much of an effect on the team since 3 seasons ago..

I heard rumors about talks between Nashville and Philly and Weber's name was mentioned. I wondered if that was due to Pronger being worse off than originally anticipated. Maybe there was truth to it after all.

I wonder what it would realistically take to snag Weber.

If Prongers done, I'd trade just about anyone for Weber. Is this pronger in his prime? No, it's Shea Weber in his prime, and that is awesome.

Mediocre his whole career??? He has only played what like two seasons? He is 22 years old and he has been mediocre his whole career??? Please tell me your being sarcastic right?

For the 150+ games he has played he hasn't been anything special. I don't see how that negates what I said. I didn't say he will never improve.

FlyGuys03, we have a franchise D-man, hurt or not we have him for a while and I don't think that they can afford another franchise D-man unless Pronger goes on LTIP for a long time.

If he can't play, he will be LTIR'ed for the rest of his contract. And the fact is that Timonen is not gonna be around much longer. Imagine this blueline. Coburn, Meszaros, Gustaffson, Bourdon, Marshall, ?? That sh!t scares the fuck out of me and certainly isn't stanley cup contending. They need to think of the future of this blueline. If they could swing a deal for one of the top 3 d-men in the league who also is young, you do it.

His whole career- all of 2 and 1/3 years. He was on pace to put up a 32 / 32 year prior to getting injured. I get the invisible stuff. But a 22 year old in his third season that puts up 32 / 32 is pretty good. I get the Weber love (and Suter). Yes, I would do a JVR-trade for either of them, BUT not until Pronger is KO'd for the long term. I mean, where is the 8m going to come from to pay either of those guys?? JVRs new contract is not on the books this year.

I will stop being a yah yah with JVR (for now), but he still has a high ceiling. Truthfully, I would let us play out the year with the kids. Look how Suter / Weber got so good: they played huge minutes at a younger age. I am not saying Bourdon / Gus are equal skill, but that in the short term, lets develop them at the NHL level.

I haven't said a single thing about JVR's future. It can not be argued that his career so far has been pretty mediocre. I don't mind waiting out the season either. But I am not sure Snider is ready to just abandon the cup run, so I would guess they make a move, because you aren't winning the cup with 2 of Gustaffson, bourdon, marshall, lilja playing regular minutes. And that isn't a shot on those three young guys, it just is the reality of the situation.

Edited by Flyguys03

The Flyers just won their seventh game in a row,with Bobbo in goal no less.Maybe Pronger will be back,in the mean time things are going pretty good.

It's not about right now. it's about cup contending. The question that Homer needs to answer is if he thinks this team still contends for a cup with this defense.

His whole career- all of 2 and 1/3 years. He was on pace to put up a 32 / 32 year prior to getting injured. I get the invisible stuff. But a 22 year old in his third season that puts up 32 / 32 is pretty good. I get the Weber love (and Suter). Yes, I would do a JVR-trade for either of them, BUT not until Pronger is KO'd for the long term. I mean, where is the 8m going to come from to pay either of those guys?? JVRs new contract is not on the books this year.

I will stop being a yah yah with JVR (for now), but he still has a high ceiling. Truthfully, I would let us play out the year with the kids. Look how Suter / Weber got so good: they played huge minutes at a younger age. I am not saying Bourdon / Gus are equal skill, but that in the short term, lets develop them at the NHL level.

While I'm in no way giving up on JVR (though my patience is really wearing thin on his effort) trading him in a package for Weber (if there was in fact a deal, AND Pronger is LTIRed forever) would be a no brainer IMO. Pronger gives us almost $5 mil relief and JVR will be making over 4 next year. There's the money right there, plus some, and I'll take my chances on Weber/Schenn over Pronger/JVR. I'm using that comparison cause we're basically playing without Schenn (and Pronger...and JVR for the most part)

It's not about right now. it's about cup contending. The question that Homer needs to answer is if he thinks this team still contends for a cup with this defense.

I just pray Holmgren doesn't go after another broken down used to be HOFer. I have no problem giving up the farm for a Weber type defencmen who could play for 10 years. Giving it up for a year of Pronger, not so much.

It amaze me that anyone wouldn't.

I trade ANYONE not named Giroux and a 1st for Weber. And in importance to this team, for now and the future, JVR isn't ranking at the top. I still think he could be something, but he sure has a funny way of showing it.

I trade ANYONE not named Giroux and a 1st for Weber. And in importance to this team, for now and the future, JVR isn't ranking at the top. I still think he could be something, but he sure has a funny way of showing it.

Absolutely. Anyone on this team is tradeable except Giroux. Bob could easily be part of a package as well, as much as it would pain me to see him go.

I wouldn't mind Yandle from Phoenix. Lower profile, lower cost, but a top pairing guy. I just don't like the idea of paying $8m for ONE defenseman. The Flyers always go for flash, so I won't be surprised if Suter or Weber are the prime targets, but there are probably much better 'deals' out there to be had if they show a little patience and do a little more poking around.

Correct me if I'm wrong but just because Pronger is LTIR for the season, when it comes to the off season his money counts towards the cap and they can only be 10% over during the summer.

So *If* something is done, there has to be some salary moving.

If Homer gives Carle a contract similar to Coburns then that's a 40% raise.

It would almost need to be even money in a trade as I figure it.

I agree it's a lot of money. But Weber, IMO, is the best there is. And he brings all the tools you'd want, at an age where he'll be good for a long time. Nashville doesn't need Bob with Rinne. He could be part of a package, but they'd want offence you'd think. And a Dman back.

I just pray Holmgren doesn't go after another broken down used to be HOFer. I have no problem giving up the farm for a Weber type defencmen who could play for 10 years. Giving it up for a year of Pronger, not so much.

Totally agree. If you can get Weber, do it. If not, maybe grab a 4-6 cheap vet and see what happens in the POs, than formally address the issue this offseason.

Would Walker and Shelley get it done for Weber? Tough blue chip players; one the formidable anchor of any teams blue line, the other an offensive juggernaut that can contribute in any situation.

Fingers crossed.

OK, ha ha me trying to be a funny guy.

In reality, I think it would take a lot more than this team is willing to deal to make this Sutter trade happen. Our offense is clicking and our D is lacking. The only asset worth a damn that we could give up is Bobrovsky and Nashville is not in need of his services.

I hate that Pronger is hurt, but maybe we need to look at a 3/4 guy rather than a 1/2 guy.