So what now?

Guest LeafSuck16

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like they are going to play the kids for bit, see how they do, Bourdon, Marshall and Gustafson. Most likely make a move for a top 4 dman by the trade deadline. dreger said don't be surprised if Weber and Suter's name come up because of the team's trade history.

I would be fine with JVR and a high pick. JVR has been mediocre his whole career minus a handful of playoff games. Weber is a franchise d-man.

Mediocre his whole career??? He has only played what like two seasons? He is 22 years old and he has been mediocre his whole career??? Please tell me your being sarcastic right?

Pronger is done for the season, so what now? Who do they get to fill a huge hole without giving up the farm now that each and every team knows we need D help?

I think Homer waits until everyone gets healthy. Neither Schenn nor JVR fetch much right now so I'm not sure trading them gets you much.

At most I think you will see a pending RFA/UFA 3/4 dman by the trade deadline.

As well as this team is playing, they are young and not read for the a run to the SCF IMHO.

Finish the year strong. Get the kids as much playing time and experience as possible.

Replace Pronger in the off season and make some tweaks as needed.

Then make your push next year

Its all about capanomics and assets and planning

I dont know if the next CBA will come soon enough to help with contracts of older players

Its going to be like Rathje I think (not a comparison of players) tries to play goes on LTIR each season until the new CBA comes

Gut feeling, they dont do anything major until the off season UNLESS it all falls together and they have the makings of another run

Right now theres some tease like that, but need Roo back before they start moving the other pieces around

I would do Schenn #1 and a prospect for a top 4 D RFA/UFA who would indicate signing an extension if traded here

The squad looks pretty good right now. They have a good mix of young vets (if there is such a thing) and some young to really young kids, but as the season goes on, these vets are gonna ware down. They need a 2/3 D-man now, so this does not become a problem.

hypothetically speaking, who do you guys think in the NHL could replace someone like Pronger? It kills me to say the only other guy might be Chara; not for size, but for leadership, experience, and nastiness. Dunno who else could possibly replace a guy like Pronger.

I'll side with the wait-till-next year gang. I think Pronger's career is over. If anything goes down it might be fore a guy like Grossman who won't cost that much. The kids on D will grow. This team is rising to the occasion for both Pronger and Giroux. Homer has to be happy.

Best,

Howie

Sounds like they are going to play the kids for bit, see how they do, Bourdon, Marshall and Gustafson. Most likely make a move for a top 4 dman by the trade deadline. dreger said don't be surprised if Weber and Suter's name come up because of the team's trade history.

Hi WCF- I agree with the philosophy of the first part in playing the kids, but not the second. There are a couple of reasons:

1) Nobody is saying Prongers career is done. To make a move for a top 4 will cost assets.

2) Either Suter or Weber are going to cost 7.5+ million. I just don't see that kind of cash being moved around- especially given the chemistry of this team.

This team is the best team overall that the Flyers have iced in awhile. IMHO, let Carle / Mesz / Coburn / Kimmo be the guys. Ice time to Bourdon / Guz will be a bonus in experience and payoff more down the line. Everyone forgets how good Gus was. 18 minutes a night and a +5.

JVR has been mediocre his whole career minus a handful of playoff games. Weber is a franchise d-man.

His whole career- all of 2 and 1/3 years. He was on pace to put up a 32 / 32 year prior to getting injured. I get the invisible stuff. But a 22 year old in his third season that puts up 32 / 32 is pretty good. I get the Weber love (and Suter). Yes, I would do a JVR-trade for either of them, BUT not until Pronger is KO'd for the long term. I mean, where is the 8m going to come from to pay either of those guys?? JVRs new contract is not on the books this year.

I will stop being a yah yah with JVR (for now), but he still has a high ceiling. Truthfully, I would let us play out the year with the kids. Look how Suter / Weber got so good: they played huge minutes at a younger age. I am not saying Bourdon / Gus are equal skill, but that in the short term, lets develop them at the NHL level.