Shane Doan: Deal in place with Coyotes, waiting on lease agreement to go through

Guest DinahMoeHumm

Two week ago, Shane Doan's agent, Terry Bross, told the Arizona Republic that his client would be signing a contract before the expiration of the CBA on Sept. 15. The key was that the Phoenix Coyotes ownership situation needed to be settled if the 35-year old Doan was going to commit to a long-term deal with the team. If nothing was settled by then, Doan would be forced to leave the only franchise that he's known in his 16-year career.

Since Aug. 23, news has come out that Greg Jamison has secured financing to purchase the team, but the City of Glendale wants to reworkits 20-year, $324 million lease deal. Yet another speed bump in the never-ending process in the sale of the team.

Appearing on XTRA 910 in Phoenix on Thursday afternoon, Doan confirmed to hosts Mike Jurecki and Dan Bickley that he will be signing a new contract by the 15th and that he already has a deal in place to remain with the Coyotes, pending the lease agreement. But that doesn't mean he'll be staying in Phoenix.

From Sarah McLellan of the Arizona Republic, who transcribed the interview:

MJ: What's the latest? We heard that he obviously has the money, and he's ready to purchase it from the National Hockey League. And then you hear Glendale wants to rework the lease agreement and obviously if you're Mr. Jamison, you don't want to purchase the team and then have to fight it in court. What do you know, what's the latest?

Doan: That's pretty much it. Mr. Jamison has the money. Mr. Bettman has said it's all good, according to the NHL, and it's going to go through. It's just a matter of getting the lease agreement done now. Obviously that was done earlier. Now there are some things they decided they wanted to change, which obviously can delay things. With that being said, I think that Mr. Jamison and the league have stated it's really up to Glendale and Glendale, they had it done for awhile. So it's not like it's been up to them up to this point. But there's a couple things they want to change, and hopefully they can get the changes done and approved in the coming week.

While just about every NHL team expressed interest in signing Doan since he became an unrestricted free agent on July 1, the Coyotes captain said his list of teams he would leave Phoenix for has been whittled down to "two or three".

But despite numerous deadlines over the summer, things went as expected. Doan is giving the Coyotes every possible chance to bring stability to the ownership level so he can remain with the team for the rest of his career. He spoke glowingly about the current makeup of the roster and praised the current management, calling Dave Tippett the best coach in the league. He's grown up and raised a family in Phoenix. And leaving now, at this point in his career, is not the easiest decision, even if he does have a reported 4-year, $30 million deal on the table from the Buffalo Sabres.

Could a potential delay to the 2012-13 season aid the chances of Doan staying in Phoenix if Jamison is still working on purchasing the team past Sept. 15? Maybe. While uncertainty with what the new CBA will look like could present a potentially better option now in terms of what he's looking for, as Bross noted last month, we've already watched multiple deadlines pass this summer. If all Jamison needs now is a reworked lease agreement, could being this close to the finish line make Doan bypass yet another one?

Source: http://sports.yahoo....26929--nhl.html

I know stability is nice and all...and the Yotes did have an impressvie run at the cup last year, but damn......does he *not* want his name on the Cup...ever!?!? I just don't see the Yotes winning it all...this is his last contract, why not go to a contender? Guess he is putting his family first, which I really respect, but WOW, I'd figure he would want a championship. Perhaps the Yotes do it, stranger things have happened, but I just don't see the offense being capble of that before he's ready to hang them up.

@jammer2: I don't see them doing it either, and the whole thing does seem kind of odd. Maybe he's the kind of guy that change is really hard for? Maybe his loyalty is more important than a Cup? I don't know, I'm just throwing out wild guesses here. If it's loyalty though that seems kind of weird. I mean, that organization has changed SO much since he got there that, well... what's the loyalty to? The team itself and the city? In the end I can't fault the guy for his decision though. And he's been very up front all along about his preference and didn't play a bunch of games. Wouldn't it be something though if PHX did snag a Cup before he hangs them up? I certainly wouldn't mind if they did, other than the fact that would mean my team didn't win it that year.

@DinahMoeHumm

Looked at his personal part of his Wiki entry...this may give us some answers....

"Doan was born on October 10, 1976, in Halkirk, Alberta, to Bernie and Bernice Doan.[8] His parents ran a Christian summer camp in Halkirk called Circle Square Ranch.[8] Growing up in a religious family, Doan continues to be a professing Christian; he writes Bible verse Romans 8:28 on his hockey sticks.[8]

Doan and his wife Andrea have four children – Gracie (born December 17, 1998),[9] Josh (born March 2002),[10] Karys (born July 23, 2004),[11] and Carson (born September 2006)[8][12] Doan is also a second cousin of Carey Price, goaltender for the Montreal Canadiens and first cousin of Keaton Ellerby, a Florida Panthers prospect and Catriona Le May Doan, a two-time Olympic gold medalist in speed skating through the marriage of her husband, Bart Doan.[citation needed]

In April 2011 Shane, along with brother Brook were the "Prey" on the television series Mantracker.[13]

Doan lives with his family in Phoenix during the off-seasons."

So...he is very religious, those types kind of march to the beat of a different drummer to start off with. His ties to his local church and community might indeed take pecedence over the Cup etc...and if my math is correct, he has a young daughter in high school, that could play a role also, uprooting her might not be condusive for the family deeply religious family. I also didn't know he was related to Price and Ellerby and Catroina Le May Doan through marriage...kinda cool.