Most Memorable Flyers game you ever attended

Guest pags569

Think back on all the games you've attended over the years. Which one game stands out for you and why?

Jan 30,2009

Flyers 6 Lightning 1

It was the most memorable to me because I got stuck sitting with 6 guys who were Leaf fans catching the game because they were there for golfing(insert joke here) and to catch the Superbowl. It was not a very fair verbal battle as the Leafs were absolutely horrible that year and it did not take long to quiet them down. The Flyers absolutely owned the lightning and the best part of it was in the bar after the game in downtown Tampa, I got to meet and and shake hands with Bob Clarke. That is a memory I will carry with me forever.

The sixth game of the Stanley Cup Finals between the Flyers & the Oilers in 1987 at the Spectrum. I won the ticket in a raffle at my job. The owner of the company

bought dinner and all the drinks for me and 2 others. We sat down the end where J.J. D. scored the game winner. I had been to many Flyers games since 1974,

but never heard the Spectrum rock like that. It was the loudest I've ever heard (including many rock concerts). When we left you would have thought that the Flyers

had won the Stanley Cup. It was fricking crazy!!

Jan 30,2009

Flyers 6 Lightning 1

It was the most memorable to me because I got stuck sitting with 6 guys who were Leaf fans catching the game because they were there for golfing(insert joke here) and to catch the Superbowl. It was not a very fair verbal battle as the Leafs were absolutely horrible that year and it did not take long to quiet them down. The Flyers absolutely owned the lightning and the best part of it was in the bar after the game in downtown Tampa, I got to meet and and shake hands with Bob Clarke. That is a memory I will carry with me forever.

Very nice! Did you bust his balls at all or was just a quick "hey, nice to meet you?"

The sixth game of the Stanley Cup Finals between the Flyers & the Oilers in 1987 at the Spectrum. I won the ticket in a raffle at my job. The owner of the company

bought dinner and all the drinks for me and 2 others. We sat down the end where J.J. D. scored the game winner. I had been to many Flyers games since 1974,

but never heard the Spectrum rock like that. It was the loudest I've ever heard (including many rock concerts). When we left you would have thought that the Flyers

had won the Stanley Cup. It was fricking crazy!!

I still have a video tape of that game somewhere that my dad made. I know watching it on TV was one thing....being there, I heard, was insane!

So many... Here are some that stick out...

Game 6 against Tampa in the ECF (Primeau ties it and Gagne wins in OT) - The loudest I've ever heard that building. I thought it was going to implode.

First game after 9/11 against the Rangers where the game was stopped for the President's speech.

Giroux scoring in OT against Chicago in Game 3 of the Cup Finals.

Boucher making that sick save in New Jersey against Elias in the 2000 ECF.

Tie Domi fights with the fan in the penalty box.

The Flyers vs. Sens all out brawl game...that was awesome!!!

And Game 4 of the Stanley Cup Flyers vs. the Hawks. I swear it was so loud in there for God Bless America, I couldn't hear the end of the song over the crowd noise.

Doom - wow you have some really good ones there! I can honestly say I remember every one of them! Awesome you got to see them. The Tie Domi fight with a fan is hysterical.

Flyers97 - Ah, the good ol sens brawl. I still look that up on youtube from time to time. Great game! Down goes Spezza!

Vincent - Can't say I've ever experienced a Flyers playoff game, but I'm sure it was insanely loud. That's awesome

I was pretty toasted so no ball busting was involved. He is a pretty personable guy from my recollection.

Most hockey players are good guys. I'm sure he would have gotten a chuckle out of a little friendly ribbing.

Two games stand out, but the memory is actually vague.

One was actually in Washington. Caps vs. Flyers. It was back in the Broad Street Bullies days because Bernie Wolfe was still the Caps goalie and, being less than 10, I thought they were chanting "Bernie" for Parent and couldn't figure out why. It was memorable for two reasons. 1) I got to meet Gene Hart. I wasn't that impressed. He was extremely rude to my mother. Do what you want, but don't mess with Mom. 2) There was quite a lot of fights in the stands. I vividly remember someone in a Caps' jersey going after someone in a Flyers' jersey with a woman, covered in blood (think "Carrie") between them trying in vain to keep them apart. I guess it was actually more a memorable experience than a memorable game.

Second on was in Philly vs. the Pens. It was the first game my brother and I had gone to on our own at the Spectrum. I was 14 or 15 and he was 12 or 13. We sat in the nosebleeds. It was pre-Lemieux and the Penguins were just horrendous. I want to say Ron Stackhouse and (Ron?) Ceiling were still on the Pens. Anyway, the final score was 13-4. It felt almost like a basketball game with the scoring frequency. Fights, too. Great first game without the parental units!

Nice Rux. I wish I could have seen the Flyers in their Broad Street Bullies days. Clips don't do it justice. Do fans even get into like they did back in the 70's - 80's? I remember my dad coming home with mustard and beer all over his Flyers jersey from wearing it to the Garden. Bad move on his part

Nice Rux. I wish I could have seen the Flyers in their Broad Street Bullies days. Clips don't do it justice. Do fans even get into like they did back in the 70's - 80's? I remember my dad coming home with mustard and beer all over his Flyers jersey from wearing it to the Garden. Bad move on his part

I miss the BSB days and the 80s. The 80s were good because you still had quite a bit of fighting but the game was faster (than the 70s. I think it's faster now). Plus, as a kid I remember Shultz or Dupont or someone dropping their gloves, and especially a line brawl, and my mother or grandmother would squeal, "oooh! they're throwing their mittens!" You really can't make this stuff up.

My most memorable Flyers moments, though, weren't games I was at, it was the two Cup Parades I was at. I was too young to drive or drink. I'm really hoping I'm not too OLD to do either by the next time they do.

I was there during the Bullies days. I used to get obstructed view seats for the game and sit on the stairwell so that I could see. Ruxpin. Gene Hart taught at my high school (Lenape)

and he was a bit of an ass. He was pretty big(fat) and when he walked down the corridor it was tough to get around him. He also turned me in for cutting study hall. Yes, this shows

that I am old, but I got to see the Flyers back in the glory days during the '70's!! When the Flyers were in the finals then everybody wore a Flyers jersey and there were more than

2,000 kids at the school.

There was three memorable games for me, since I live 4 hours north of Toronto I don't get to see that many games in Philly:

1) Mar.2/93 - the night Mario Lemieux returned from treatments and the Philly fans gave him a 5 minute standing ovation at the old Spectrum and the Flyers won 5-4. I met my boyhood idol, Bernie Parent, which was awesome.

2) January 2006 - another game against the Penguins, I got to go into the Flyers dressing room after the game because of Brian Savage was playing on the team. Got to take a photo with Brian and couple of my buddies at centre ice.

3) June 2010 - game 4 of the 2010 Stanley Cup finals, the atmosphere was awesome and the Flyers won the game to tie up the series. Like it was posted earlier, the national anthem was great and the fans were nuts during the game.

Edited by Lindbergh31

One that I remember particularly well isn't memorable so much for the importance of the game but as a reminder of what may be one of the favorite "what ifs" in Flyers history.

The Flyers were playing the Avs at home, I'll guess it was '96 or '97. Forsberg was in the line up but Sakic and Lindros were both out with injuries. Foppa put on a show. It seemed like he was dancing around in the corners and behind the net all afternoon and the Flyers just couldn't get the puck away from him. I think he had a goal and an assist on the afternoon but the score sheet in no way shape or form reflected the way Forsberg took over and completely dominated that game. Ordinarily, I would have gotten pissed watching a display like that and at first, I was in fact pissed. But as the game wore on, I couldn't help but admire Forsberg. I actually spent the afternoon looking forward to seeing him get the puck again and so that he could make the Flyers look inept. It was a quintessential Forsberg performance.

The Avs won 4-1 or something and I left the arena feeling like I had gotten my money's worth out of Forsberg that afternoon...but that the Flyers had not.

Ok, I can't remember the date but I have the ticket some place and i was little kid (circa 1980-81ish). My grandfather drives me to the game from the shore and they were playing the Islanders. The Flyers were getting ROUTED. (I didn't say it was a positive story). There were atleast two fights in the stands. Then the Flyers let in the 6 or 7th goal and people started throwing stuff at the Flyers. The guy next to me hurled his hoagie at the bench area and scored a direct hit. There was lettuce hanging off their helmets and I distincly remember one player takeing a piece of half eaten salami of the other guys back. When the game was over some guys had popcorn stuck to their heads...

The capper on the night was in the parking lot. There was this altercation between fans with an Islander fan standing in the path of the traffic and egging everyone on about their win... My grandpop just simply said "watch this kid, there gonna run this guy over".... And they DID! Rolled right across the hood.

That was the craziest sporting event I have ever been to. Boy, I miss the good old days...

My most memorable game was in 2009 Flyers at Thrashers. It was most memorable for me because it was the first NHL game for both of my sons. Flyers won 3-1. I was in the military for over 33 years and was never able to go to a game until I retired here in Alabama. Both my college age sons became hockey fans in 2007 and finally got why I liked the game so much. We finally found a time to go to a game together. We had a great time and enjoyed exploring Atlanta--went to the "World of Coke"; toured CNN; ate at a 5 star seafood resaturant, and visited the Ferrari, Lamborghini (sp?), and Lotus dealerships in Roswell (my oldest son is a car enthusiast)... One of the best "Father/Sons" trip we ever took.

BTW, the Flyers fans out numbered the Thrasher fans in the Phillips Arena (home of the Thrashers). I'm disappointed they moved to Winnepeg (sp?)--it only takes me 3 hours to get to Atlanta from where I live. O

Great story PhlyersPhan! I'm hoping to have one of those moments with my boys. I want them to see thier first game like I did....up against the glass! No idea how I'm going to score those tickets, but I have a few years to figure it out.

@pags569:

You'll do it and whatever you pay for the tickets, it will be worth. Glass Banger seats are the best ever! My second favorit seats are front row in the upper-bowl. But, if can score the "glass-banger" seats in Philly, that would be awesome.

Great game last night--loved that final goal with 18.6 seconds left in the 3rd period--imagine having glass banger seats at that one!

February 1979

My first game, my friend Howie gave me his third ticket. He and his dad went to every home game. I was like 12. Finally got to see my Hero Bernie Parent, live in person. Then Bernie got his eye injured...skated quickly to the bench holding his face. He would not play another game.

I met him in the early 80's when he spoke at my high school. Told him I was at the game and I was his biggest fan, shook his hand and thanked him.

Oh...and they lost