Flyers goalie Bryzgalov: 'I'm skinny and prepared'

Guest idahophilly

I falut Snider for not having his scouts look into him properly (or ignoring their advice)....AND not having a phych evaluation before you sign a guy to a 10 year deal...how about some feedback from others (teammates, coachs...etc)...I'm sure this is not the first time he was not in top physical condition....wow...this blows me away!!

This horse was beaten to death, but yeah... Snider reacted. He panicked. Plain and simple. No preparation, no research, no scouting, no rational thinking, nothing.... He was enraged and upset about the goalie drama against the Boston and felt the situation was a disaster and needed to be addressed. Fine. No argument it needed to be addressed. But there are betters way of going about that. And what was the rush anyway? It’s not like the GMs were lining up to pick Bryz as soon as the free agency of 2011 opened.

Ridiculous and irresponsible. And the price to pay for that is an incompetent goaltender making $51 mil for the next 8 years.

@Mad Dog Betcha Snider was knee deep in a huge battle for Bryz's services.....with himself! A little bit of research would have told him he is not in top physical condition....and then you put the 50 mill back in your pocket and continue the search...even if it means giving up valuable players to secure the goalie you want. Bulid from the net on out I always say. You don't go sign a UFA goalie to that kind of them unless it's a PERFECT fit....but yeah, agree, beaten to death....rant over....for now...LOL!

@Mad Dog Betcha Snider was knee deep in a huge battle for Bryz's services.....with himself! A little bit of research would have told him he is not in top physical condition....and then you put the 50 mill back in your pocket and continue the search...even if it means giving up valuable players to secure the goalie you want. Bulid from the net on out I always say. You don't go sign a UFA goalie to that kind of them unless it's a PERFECT fit....but yeah, agree, beaten to death....rant over....for now...LOL!

If you can't win with 2.48/.909, you can't win.

I think he can go ahead and do it. Almost every player has an off year. I can understand your position but not all is lost with Bryz yet! If this year is like last year then yeah, I'm on your bandwagon. But we really have to brace our selves against OVER reacting to every little mistake this year. You know some people won't talk about the 15 saves but complain about the one he lets in, even if it's the d-men in front of him fault, the perfect screen or whatever. I don't care if he makes 51 million or 51 billion... he is still a flawed human and not perfect. The rational layed for his mind funk last season is sound having no other Philly experience to base his performance on.

I think he can, but I have no idea if he will. I've seen guys bounce back from one bad year and I've also seen that one year turn into the rest of their career. Some guys just flake out earlier than others.

I don't think it's impossible be bouces back. Even in an off year, his stats aren't that bad. Hextall was beloved and besides that one fluke year, Bryz on a bad year was better. The thing that concerns me most is the defense. He's coming off a shaky season and our defense is questionable. If the D even struggles a little, it could get ugly.

While bobs has deficiencies, at least he has enormous athleticism and quickness- to go along with a blue collar lunch-pail work ethic.

Bobrovsky? I haven't heard his name mentioned in a while and last I did, I had kinda assumed most people recognized that he was a backup. I don't think he's a terrible player and the goofball is a great one, it's just that I thought the consensus was that Bob was never going to be anything special (and you're talking about him like we threw away a great prospect)?

This horse was beaten to death, but yeah... Snider reacted. He panicked. Plain and simple. No preparation, no research, no scouting, no rational thinking, nothing.... He was enraged and upset about the goalie drama against the Boston and felt the situation was a disaster and needed to be addressed. Fine. No argument it needed to be addressed. But there are betters way of going about that. And what was the rush anyway? It’s not like the GMs were lining up to pick Bryz as soon as the free agency of 2011 opened.

Ridiculous and irresponsible. And the price to pay for that is an incompetent goaltender making $51 mil for the next 8 years.

While I agree the contract they gave him was ridiculous, I can't agree and say they didn't research him. He appeared to be on the rise. It's their fault for giving him the contract, but choosing him - based on his most recently few seasons - wasn't necessarily a bad decision.

While I agree the contract they gave him was ridiculous, I can't agree and say they didn't research him. He appeared to be on the rise. It's their fault for giving him the contract, but choosing him - based on his most recently few seasons - wasn't necessarily a bad decision.

I guess that's not a bad way to put it...

Right, because it was Bryzgalov's fault they lost the New Jersey series.

Certainly not his fault - or at least not *solely* his fault - they lost to NJ. He didn't do much to help, which is what you actually expect out of your elite goalie, but that's a different matter.

Against the Pens, on the other hand, he was pathetic. Plain pathetic. I suppose part of that can be excused due to his leg injury, but that's neither here or there.

One thing I will say is if he is not on a thin ice, he should be.

I just think we need to move on from last year. Not forget, just move on. File it away and wait and see what happens when/if the season starts. If you believe he will fail, well, you will always find that flaw to prove the point. Kinda like a prophecy fulfilling itself.

I'm an IS kinda a person. It's a fact he has the humongous contract. That's obviously not a what if, it's an IS. We can relive that for the next 8 years (and counting) but it does no real good. Again, not saying you pretend it doesn't exist, just saying file it away and wait to see what happens. That's the point I guess. Last year is an IS. The contract is an IS. But, next year is a what if... As my granddad use to say "don't go borrowing trouble".

There will be plenty without going to seek it out...

Certainly not his fault - or at least not *solely* his fault - they lost to NJ. He didn't do much to help, which is what you actually expect out of your elite goalie, but that's a different matter.

Against the Pens, on the other hand, he was pathetic. Plain pathetic. I suppose part of that can be excused due to his leg injury, but that's neither here or there.

One thing I will say is if he is not on a thin ice, he should be.

I think the article shows a guy who believes he underperformed, believes he can do better and has made strides in that direction.

We won't know until we see the game on the ice.

But in a series in which the Flyers' record in games they scored less than three or more goals was 1-0-1 and they failed to score more than 1 in 2 of 5 games, it ain't "the goalie's fault."

Part of it? Sure. But Bryzgalov could have "stolen" two games in that series and the Flyers still lose in 7. You saw the games. The Flyers were spent. Done.

As for the Pittsburgh series I find engaging in a discussion about who "failed" in a series that the Flyers won to be silly. Bryzgalov went to the second round of the playoffs. Marc-Andre-Cup-Winning-Number-One-Played-Junior-Draft-Pick Fluery went home.

And let's not forget this is a fanbase for whom 1.85/.936 and 2.14/.909 in the playoffs was "the goalie's fault" so forgive me if I take some of the more ascerbic comments with a salt lick the size of Texas.

And let's not forget this is a fanbase for whom 1.85/.936 and 2.14/.909 in the playoffs was "the goalie's fault" so forgive me if I take some of the more ascerbic comments with a salt lick the size of Texas.

Well, I don't need to tell you this but you know once Flyers fans (Philly in general) start chewing on their latest toy they DON'T give up until the person is run out of town or better toy comes along. Bryz could get his 51 million in dollar bills and snow shovel them over the railing up high and into the crowd below and it would NOT make them happy. I bet he could go on a 4 game shutout streak then lose a game 3-2 and most everyone would be saying he's fat, lazy, no rebound control, no ,lateral movement and (for the 51 millionth time) talk about the 9 year 51 million dollar contract...

But the "atmosphere" sure probably made the decision easier for him...

Well, there is something to be said about that... No doubt playing in Philadelphia is no picnic. Many athletes couldn't stand the heat playing in this city and crumpled. Whose who did only added more value to their resume - at least in my book. So what does it say about Carle if his decision was based mainly on the fact that it was "getting rough"? I am sure playing in Tampa in front of a fanbase who *still*... till this day don't know what the blue line means is much easier. In that case - have fun, Matt!

@radoran " As for the Pittsburgh series I find engaging in a discussion about who "failed" in a series that the Flyers won to be silly. Bryzgalov went to the second round of the playoffs. Marc-Andre-Cup-Winning-Number-One-Played-Junior-Draft-Pick Fluery went home."

OK, now you're just being silly. At least Fleruy has won it all. Our goalie was on the winning side of the HIGHEST scoring 6 game series EVER.....that's not something to be proud of, not now, not ever. His performace was HISTORICALLY awful. To defend his play in that series is not even sane. He allowed 20 goals in the first 5 games of that series.....not good enough, we were just lucky Fleury was monumentally bad through the WHOLE series. It seemed as if every Flyer blocked a dozen shots in game 6, the real reason we won, although I must admit Bryz was respectable in allowing one goal in game 6...but the Flyers did a great job at not giving the Pens to many chances in game 6, they really limited their chances....Bryz did not exactly stand on his head that game, the defense played great.

Right, because it was Bryzgalov's fault they lost the New Jersey series.

Serve. Volley.

Try again.

Confidence is a huge part of a teams success, no? The Flyers went into that Pittsburgh series really wanting to take those bastards down. They basically did it DESPITE Bryzgalovs best efforts to lose. But it's gotta be tough going into round 2 with any confidence after watching your $10 million goalie put up one of the worst performances I've ever seen.

I honestly don't see what you guys are seeing in this guy.

I think he can, but I have no idea if he will. I've seen guys bounce back from one bad year and I've also seen that one year turn into the rest of their career. Some guys just flake out earlier than others.

I don't think it's impossible be bouces back. Even in an off year, his stats aren't that bad. Hextall was beloved and besides that one fluke year, Bryz on a bad year was better. The thing that concerns me most is the defense. He's coming off a shaky season and our defense is questionable. If the D even struggles a little, it could get ugly.

I think he has a better year. He can't possibly be that bad of a goalie can he? My concern with him is he just doesn't look like an NHL goalie. Unless he wasn't trying last year, he just looks like a lousy goalie. His reflexes are Leighton-like.

OK, so Bryzgalov was the reason the Flyers almost lost the Pens series.

By "almost lost" of course we mean "won." wait, no, they won in spite of bryzgalov and even a game in which we're willing to note he played well, he didn't really play well, it was the defense that did it.

But it was entirely Bryzgalov's fault that they lost the Devils' series, the anemic offense and questionable defense had nothing at all to do with it and if brian bucher had been in goal, zomg, totally Cup.

And what I see in this guy is the crest on the front of his jersey which will likely remain there for the next eight years.

I root for that crest on the front regardless of the name on the back.

To say "he's not even an NHL goaltender" is hyperbole of the worst extreme.

@canoli

Nothing has changed in his game because they haven't played any games yet. :D

I'm not optimistic as much as hopeful. :unsure:

Would that we would get the answer sooner than later :)

yeah this is really beginning to S-U-C-K. You Canada guys get to see all sorts of hockey on t.v. and you probably live upstairs from a rink, but we Americans get the NHL and that's about it. A few college games maybe if you have the right cable service...

Figures Bryzgalov would be "skinny and prepared" now, when exactly nothing is happening on the NHL ice. Great.

(still can't believe we were so stupid, buying his services for 9 years at that ridiculous money, effectively stifling all competition for a better goalie until he's gone. DUMB dee dumb dumb dumb.)

Wow, I can't even respond anymore to some of the overwhelming negativity about him some of which just seems to be going of the richter scale of reality the more a few people choose to be positive. It's like the old saying for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Choose to hate and have fun with it. Not me!

(oh my, is that the sky falling?)