Flyers goalie Bryzgalov: 'I'm skinny and prepared'

Guest idahophilly

@idahophilly In regards to Bryz, it's kinda like having a bachlor with limited skills getting hired to cook in an elite 5 star restaurant with a ridicilous 10 year contract to go with it. Sure, he can scrable eggs without burning them, but the skills are just not there to satisify the fancy customers who are paying a pretty penny to have top notch service.

Whatever floats your boat. Some folks will be negative no matter what. I'm just taking a wait and see position with some confidence that he will be better. If he isn't then I'll go down that road. But right now there is no need for me to go down that road. I prefer not to be the type of fan that gets blinded either by good things OR bad things and the key is to re-evaluate things. Time has a way of putting things into context and I don't see it as bad as you I guess. I think I might start an official "hate Bryz" thread so some can vent (even though after a year from the signing, people haven't figured out it's best to move on and look at the team as presently constituted and what to look forward to coming up and stratagies, ect...)... Just MHO...

• Like 1

@radoran I agree with that part rad, the Flyers were a beaten down tired team during the Devils series. No goalie in the world would have helped....just no jump in the legs and Jersey had a lot of enthusiam which we could'nt come close to matching.

I We all thought time off would benefit the Flyers and it did anything BUT that.

It was, as I recall, almost a whole week off. Bryz came back, IMO, better than in the Pittsburgh series (don't wanna debate stats at this point - we're talking "feelings") but the team as a whole had lost the playoff "edge."

This is an observation, not an accusation - please, no wagering.

The Cup Playoff is the best and most difficult postseason in professional sport. The NFL is one-and-out, but in the NHL you have to win 16 games to take the Chailce.

That's the hard part.

I do think the Flyers can win behind Bryz. Part of that is the need to believe the team can win behind their goalie. A good deal of it is that I believe he is better than he showed last year and that 2.48/.909 is not a bad "starting point."

That was Game 2 last season, 3-0 over the Devils.

Then, of course, a five game losing streak so you might want to tape those ankles for when you jump off.

:ph34r:

Bryz' lateral movement will have the wagon going so slow it can't possibly hurt. But here's hoping he was just an out of shape disinterested ten million dollar goalie last year and we can all count on him if there ever is a season. :)

Bryz' lateral movement will have the wagon going so slow it can't possibly hurt. But here's hoping he was just an out of shape disinterested ten million dollar goalie last year and we can all count on him if there ever is a season. :)

Let's say he's in better shape and has more focus without the distraction of moving from a moribund backwater to one of the top hockey markets in the world and being chased around by producers looking to grab ratings.

I'll be pulling for him to succeed, while gritting my teeth and begging the Flyers to deny shots and get the puck out of the zone.

@radoran I just don't understand the concept of signing a 50 million dollar deal, moving to a new city, fresh new start...and *not* already being in the best shape of his career. That's just lazy in my books, and once lazy....well, I think he slips back into that mind set and this "best shape, skinny" thing will not last long. I have serious doubts to his commitment to being in shape long term.

@radoran I just don't understand the concept of signing a 50 million dollar deal, moving to a new city, fresh new start...and *not* already being in the best shape of his career. That's just lazy in my books, and once lazy....well, I think he slips back into that mind set and this "best shape, skinny" thing will not last long. I have serious doubts to his commitment to being in shape long term.

He could have been "in the best shape of his career" and still be in "better" shape now.

As idaho points out, there are a lot of people - yourself, with all due respect, included - who will do anything they can to disparage the player and take things that he says in the worst way possible.

The position that he is absolutely incapable of playing the game of hockey is ludicrous at best and ridiculous in the terms of "worthy of ridicule."

The flip side, where anyone who thinks that the Flyers braintrust wouldn't have signed a man completely incapable of playing the game of hockey and hope that the player improves on his performance of a year ago is therefore "defending Bryz" and "in love with him" is likewise silly and ridiculous.

I am aware there are flaws in his game - as every goalie save, perhaps, 2-3 on the planet, has. I am aware that he allowed himself to be portrayed as a boob by the HBO producers in what was obviously a major distraction to everyone.

I think he is coming into this season wanting to play better than he did last season and that, for me, is the best we can expect until we actually drop the puck and start playing hockey again. If he was saying "there was nothing wrong with last year and I'm just going to go ahead and do the exact same humongous forest husky dog things" then, yes, I'd have a major problem with it.

But, while I know there's little to talk about at this point, making a big deal about how awful it is that he wants to play better this season because that means he didn't play his best last season seems a tad on the hypersensitive side.

And, the only relevant fact in the end - he's the Flyers' goalie and nothing save a tragic injury is going to change that.

@radoran As a Flyer fan, I'm hoping for the best, BUT have a really, really hard time saying positive things about him. Like others have said, I'm just beating a dead horse here, I guess it's best to step back and hope he has a nice year, and reserve judgement until the season starts...if it does! I've also got to keep the make-shift defense we have compiled in front of him, along with the injuries and factor those in also....I'm pissed we did not sign Carlo, an obvious need and we had the cap space...big miss there, dispite the injury concerns, he would have added toughness and points from the back end that are desperatly needed. A nice insurance policy for Kimo also....

@radoran As a Flyer fan, I'm hoping for the best, BUT have a really, really hard time saying positive things about him. Like others have said, I'm just beating a dead horse here, I guess it's best to step back and hope he has a nice year, and reserve judgement until the season starts...if it does! I've also got to keep the make-shift defense we have compiled in front of him, along with the injuries and factor those in also....I'm pissed we did not sign Carlo, an obvious need and we had the cap space...big miss there, dispite the injury concerns, he would have added toughness and points from the back end that are desperatly needed. A nice insurance policy for Kimo also....

I'm not asking you to say nice things, just that when the things are over the top, I'm going to call people on them.

This wouldn't even be an issue if the training camps were opening when they should...

I'm not asking you to say nice things, just that when the things are over the top, I'm going to call people on them.

This wouldn't even be an issue if the training camps were opening when they should...

Exactly. What are we all supposed to do...agree with each other?

I go way over the top with Bryz. He's my Matt Carle. Or Jeff Carter. Joni Pitkanen. In my defence, he's paid way over the top and hasn't played way over the top. But I'll keep beating that dead horse until he shuts me up. I can only pray he does.

Accusing someone of "being negative all the time" (or some variation of that) about Bryzgalov is like saying "You're only looking at reality, why can't you have some faith?" Okay that's valid. If you want to indulge "faith" and "hope" - seriously, I'm not trying to be an a-hole, faith is fine. It's great if you have it.

And here's something that should've given us faith & hope: Remember when he set the new record for SO minutes? Flyers' fans should've gotten a huge lift during that run, a reason to believe this guy has what it takes to carry a team deep into the POs, maybe even to the Cup.

But you put that stretch of games up against the whole season + the POs and you're left with that same old bad feeling. Why? Because (the way I see it) Bryzgalov can get hot when the team gets hot, when All Things Defense come together in front of him. That's great. You know who else can do that? Any NHL goaltender. For a fraction of Bryzgalov's salary.

So you say "who cares, it's not your money" and you're right, it's not. But maybe those cap dollars could've gone to _________

[edit: believe me I understand that "being negative" is futile, that it's pointless to complain about him because Bryzgalov is our goalie for the foreseeable future. I get it. I'm just questioning whether "hope" and "faith" are justified that's all.]

Edited by canoli

@idahophilly I said that because the Flyers have a history of not accepting failure. Should Bryz fall on his face next year and it becomes apparent he's not the answer...the fans, media AND team will make it very uncomfortable for him here. I don't know if his fragile phyche can handle that. I don't think he gets bought out, that's really not an option, but I do believe the Flyers will take some type of action....what, I don't know, maybe overpaying in a trade to rid themselves of him....not sure, but I know Snider will not put up with losing long term. If he indeed is not the answer, Snider and Homer will start from scratch in net and do something drastic.

Well, that is true. If we had assumed (past tense) we had a full season and by the end of it the Bryz results were in and he had fallen flat on his face (if a Bryz falls in the woods and no one is there to see it, does he whimper?) then I'll drive the van that drives him out of the city. Unfortunatly, we have to wait for the results, and maybe until the spring of 2014...

(run on sentence!)