Flyers goalie Bryzgalov: 'I'm skinny and prepared'

Guest idahophilly

Accusing someone of "being negative all the time" (or some variation of that) about Bryzgalov is like saying "You're only looking at reality, why can't you have some faith?" Okay that's valid. If you want to indulge "faith" and "hope" - seriously, I'm not trying to be an a-hole, faith is fine. It's great if you have it.

No, it's not, really.

It's saying that you aren't looking at "reality" you are presenting a radically different picture from "reality."

To say that Ilya Bryzgalov is incapable of playing the game of hockey is simply incorrect. Absolutely. Positively. Realistically.

"Is he worth the contract?" is another discussion entirely.

I'm not taking anything on "faith" and "hope" - I'm saying we need to see what e looks like on the ice before forming definitive opinions about how he "is" playing.

And anyone who will tell you different is, quite frankly, a fool.

Bobrovsky? I haven't heard his name mentioned in a while and last I did, I had kinda assumed most people recognized that he was a backup. I don't think he's a terrible player and the goofball is a great one, it's just that I thought the consensus was that Bob was never going to be anything special (and you're talking about him like we threw away a great prospect)?

Agree With This

A 23 y/o goaltender that has great athleticism and never played the north american game prior to two years ago and has better numbers than our superstar goalie?? Yup, we did. We traded him because the Flyers organization thinks that he deserves a shot and he was not going to get it in Philly.

It's saying that you aren't looking at "reality" you are presenting a radically different picture from "reality."

I'll grant you that - I almost added that same sentiment to my post - that there are certainly different views of "reality."

But let's not pretend he has no track record, that we're utterly clueless about how he "plays the game." Obviously we don't know the future but the past doesn't exactly foster much hope n faith does it? Like I said I think Bryzgalov is fully capable of NHL-caliber goaltending when everything is going well in front of him. But when he's hung out to dry - as every goalie is once in awhile - he struggles like a fish out of water.

Hey, if "skinny and prepared" works then god bless him, and the Flyers. Only time will tell.

I think he has a better year. He can't possibly be that bad of a goalie can he? My concern with him is he just doesn't look like an NHL goalie. Unless he wasn't trying last year, he just looks like a lousy goalie. His reflexes are Leighton-like.

I'm hopefuly that he does and the few seasons before last tell me he can, but being a Flyers fan, I'm worried he won't.

A 23 y/o goaltender that has great athleticism and never played the north american game prior to two years ago and has better numbers than our superstar goalie?? Yup, we did. We traded him because the Flyers organization thinks that he deserves a shot and he was not going to get it in Philly.

Athleticism, hmm. Oh well, that's nice I suppose.

I'm not sure what numbers you are looking at. Could you elaborate on that? Because I just looked up last year's stats and Bryz had a better GAA, Sv%, and more SO.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8468524

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8475683

Hey, if "skinny and prepared" works then god bless him, and the Flyers. Only time will tell.

Once again, I think we as N. Americans are taking this a bit differently than how he exactly meant it. I don't know why this is such a difficult concept. Much of this is subconsciously caused by his off ice remarks anyway. He was screwed either way. He talked about his interests (philosophey, his dogs, astronomy) and everyone made fun of him. He played some bad games and talked to the press about being lost in the woods, describing it the best way he could in english and everyone jumped all over him. He took responsibility for his play. Had he not he would have been jumped all over for not taking responsibility. Atleast he talked to the press unlike Richards. He did say a few things about the D in front of him before he realized the media frenzie in Philly and that nearly EVERYTHING he said would be taken literally and out of context.

But I suspect this is far more about the personalities of the people who can't move on or atleast take a balanced approach than about how Bryz actually performs. Some are just hell bent on beating him up when he hasn't even played a game this year. It's like their hockey life would be empty if they can't rag on someone...

It's also kinda like how a myth starts. How bad Bryz was (or wasn't) has taken on a life of its own and as time goes by those who insist he was the worst just dig in deeper and deeper. One even said he can't play NHL caliber hockey??? I mean come on! Even the Bleacher report, the FRICK"N BLEACHER REPORT (!), had a blurb about the Flyers having a clean slate after the lockout is over, and that dude who wrote that isn't a Bryz fan!

When looking to hard into the past, one often loses sight of the future...

And one other philosophical note... Prophecy has a way of fulfilling itself, if not in reality then most certainly in ones mind. Believe he will be bad this year and you will likely find a way to prove that point, no matter what actually happens...

@fanaticV3.0 "'m not sure what numbers you are looking at. Could you elaborate on that? Because I just looked up last year's stats and Bryz had a better GAA, Sv%, and more SO."

Yeah, but it's a different beast coming off the bench and playing once every couple weeks or so. *If* Bob wins the Blue Jacket's job (and I think he will eventually) I think you'll see a much improved stat package. He did great considering how often he played, was relitively young and had the language and culture barriers to overcome.

Athleticism, hmm. Oh well, that's nice I suppose.

I'm not sure what numbers you are looking at. Could you elaborate on that? Because I just looked up last year's stats and Bryz had a better GAA, Sv%, and more SO.

Take Bryz's Stellar March out (sure stat manipulation) and both players would be close to the same. Additionally, upto the second week in January, Bobs had significantly better numbers than Bryz and was rankede in the top 20 in two categories while Bryz's numbers were in outerspace.

So while Bryz was the number 1, Bobs played significantly better the first half of the year and Bryz played significantly better for the month of March. So what?

Edited by Vanflyer

you're right VF, "so what?"

Comparing the numbers of your starter versus your backup is futile: the demands and expectations are so different there's really no point in trying to explain something by looking at their numbers.

Then again I'm biased. I really like Bob, I thought he showed tremendous potential his rookie year. Bryzgalov OTOH is a big dud imho, and the sooner he goes away the better.

you're right VF, "so what?"

Comparing the numbers of your starter versus your backup is futile: the demands and expectations are so different there's really no point in trying to explain something by looking at their numbers.

Then again I'm biased. I really like Bob, I thought he showed tremendous potential his rookie year. Bryzgalov OTOH is a big dud imho, and the sooner he goes away the better.

I really liked Bob too. But atleast you admit you are biased...

"I'm Skinny and Prepared but ............well....same bryz. :angry:

Ilya Bryzgalov struggled in his KHL debut with CSKA Moscow on Thursday, allowing four goals on 30 shots in a 4-3 loss to Traktor.

Ilya Bryzgalov made his KHL debut for CSKA Moscow on Thursday afternoon, and while he may not be wearing orange and black, he did face some of the same troubles we all lived through last season. Suddenly, hockey fans in Moscow and Philadelphia have something in common.

Bryz stopped 26 of 30 shots in the loss to Traktor earlier today. He didn't have much of a shot at an absolutely beautiful game-winning goal by Andrei Popov with less than two minutes to go in the hockey game. His defense definitely left him a bit out to dry on this one and Popov somehow threw the puck backhanded into the back of the net.

CSKA's Alex Radulov -- yes, of Nashville fame -- went a bit off the handle following the Popov goal. He was given a two-minute minor for slashing at the 18:54 mark of the third period and wasn't happy with the call. He pushed one of the officials and was given a 10 minute misconduct and a game misconduct for the infraction.

The CSKA roster is pretty loaded in front of Bryz, at least on offense. Pavel Datsyuk and Mikhail Grabovski have joined Bryzgalov and Radulov to make the team perhaps the most star-studded in the KHL. They're back in action Saturday against Avtomobilist.

That lateral movement on that goal...... :wacko:

oh can't wait.

@hf101 Sure, the defensive zone coverage is nil...but damn, what is he doing down there? No attempt to stand up and cover the post at all? Sorry, but a normal goalie would have slid to the one post, and then got back tight against the other post when it became obvious the puck/play was going to the other side. He just kind of lazily plopped down and didn't make a good effort to get back to the other side, which the play required. Not surprised...

He just kind of lazily plopped down and didn't make a good effort to get back to the other side, which the play required. Not surprised...

After watching that I have no idea what Bryz is prepared for? Maybe this is why Snider is in no hurry to end the lockout. Yikes.

@hf101

C'mon - he's trying to adapt to a different culture. It's the KHL, so his teammates aren't blocking every shot. Neither are the fans. New team. Give him a year and he'll be fine. Plus the media is probably throwing him off his game. And he's got guys like Datsyuk on his team...not exactly the worlds best defensive forward.

• Like 1

@hf101

C'mon - he's trying to adapt to a different culture. It's the KHL, so his teammates aren't blocking every shot. Neither are the fans. New team. Give him a year and he'll be fine. Plus the media is probably throwing him off his game. And he's got guys like Datsyuk on his team...not exactly the worlds best defensive forward.

must be the bigger ice surface.......ummm, however the side to side measurement of the net is the same.......but, well, when all else fails......

."it's not the goalies job to stop the puck"

Yeah, but it's a different beast coming off the bench and playing once every couple weeks or so. *If* Bob wins the Blue Jacket's job (and I think he will eventually) I think you'll see a much improved stat package. He did great considering how often he played, was relitively young and had the language and culture barriers to overcome.

Great? Bryz didn't even have a great year last year and his stats were better than the kid's.

Take Bryz's Stellar March out (sure stat manipulation) and both players would be close to the same. Additionally, upto the second week in January, Bobs had significantly better numbers than Bryz and was rankede in the top 20 in two categories while Bryz's numbers were in outerspace.

So while Bryz was the number 1, Bobs played significantly better the first half of the year and Bryz played significantly better for the month of March. So what?

Your favoritism aside, the level of interest you have him seems great than it should be based on his career. His career is not particularly impressive. He wasn’t alone, but totally **** the bed in the PO a few years ago. He also couldn’t beat out a struggling goalie in Bryz last year. Now I know he’s young and his career is by no means over, but honestly man, what’s he done? One solid season could change things, but his resume says career backup.

Good grief. The "new and improved" Brzygalov is exactly like the old, lame Bryzgalov.

Oh wait, sorry, that's right, it's early, it's all new surroundings...yeah, best to give him a YEAR to adjust...Of course by then he'll be back in Philly playing and he'll have forgotten all his first-year stuff in the U.S., so Flyers' fans will have to give him another year...to "adjust."