Visnovsky Loses Arbitration Case - Trade to Isles Complete

Guest DinahMoeHumm

Lubomir Visnovsky is a New York Islander after all.

On Wednesday, an arbitrator ruled against Visnovsky, who was dealt from the Ducks to the Islanders in June.

In July, Visnovsky filed a grievance through the NHL Players' Association to void the trade, claiming the no-trade clause in his current contract was still valid because he did not invoke it when he was dealt from the Edmonton Oilers to Anaheim in 2010.

"This isn't an issue with the (Islanders)," Visnovsky's agent Neil Sheehy told Newsday in July. "It's a matter for the NHLPA/NHL to decide. He has a no-trade clause."

Visnovsky has one season remaining on his contract, which will pay him $3 million next season, while his contract carries a cap hit of $5.6 million.

In 49 games with the Ducks last season, Visnovsky scored five goals and added 22 assists.

Visnovsky's had his best offensive season in 2010-11, his first full year with the Ducks, where he tied his career goal output with 18 and set a career-high with 50 assists and 68 points. He also had a career high plus-18 rating.

The Topolcany, Slovakia native was drafted in the fourth round, 118th overall of the 2000 NHL Draft by the Los Angeles Kings. He has scored 116 goals and 329 assists in 752 career NHL games with the Kings, Oilers and Ducks.

Source: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=405111

I side with Visnovsky. Waiving it once to go where you choose shouldn't mean that your NMC is void. They should still need his approval.

Either way, isn't this something his agent should have had hammered out after he waived it once to go where he wanted? At the very least I'd think it would be something he should have looked in on. Maybe I'm wrong, but to me it almost seems like his agent failed him a bit here.