NHL lockout hurts fledgling NBC Sports Network

Guest hf101

What changes is the "possibility". We KNOW right now about the teams that are struggling. Once relocated we don't YET know if they will struggle or not. We are just simply projecting/guessing what might happen in the future as opposed to what we actually do know now. At the very least they are highly unlikely to do worse. So, if an owner ship group wants to relocate any given team or buy one I say take the chance...

Very well put, and I agree.

What changes is the "possibility". We KNOW right now about the teams that are struggling. Once relocated we don't YET know if they will struggle or not. We are just simply projecting/guessing what might happen in the future as opposed to what we actually do know now. At the very least they are highly unlikely to do worse. So, if an owner ship group wants to relocate any given team or buy one I say take the chance...

Of all the new markets, Columbus was the best example of a place that "should" like hockey - had significant AHL support, had a stron NCAA program and the NHL would be the only "major" sporrt in town.

Forgive me if I don't trust the brainstrust that made that into a complete disaster to make better decisions in a different market.

Phoenix has rhe same problem Dallas has - ownership.

Edmonton's threatening to leave. Who? The players? No, the owner.

Minnesota "can't compete" with the big market teams and then signs the two top FAs on the market with huge signing bonus deals.

Buffalo was really worried about the Sabres moving, now they have an owner with local ties who wants to ice a winner.

Funny how it alwys seems to be the main problem with a franchise succeeding or failing seems to be ownership.

And that's clearly the player's fault.

Ownership is the corner brick in the foundation. I hear you about the "brain trust" and it is difficult to have faith. Columbus is a perfect example as you point out. I still think before considering retraction the league should try and move a team or two at a time (of the troubled ones of coarse) and see what happens. Hopefully there would be new ownership and maybe they will survive or maybe not.

Ownership is the corner brick in the foundation. I hear you about the "brain trust" and it is difficult to have faith. Columbus is a perfect example as you point out. I still think before considering retraction the league should try and move a team or two at a time (of the troubled ones of coarse) and see what happens. Hopefully there would be new ownership and maybe they will survive or maybe not.

I am on record saying Columbus will be in Quebec and Shane Doan wll be the first player to play home games in three cities without changing franchises...

So we've moved two and still have 3-4 struggling franchises alongside two question marks.

Progress?

Of all the new markets, Columbus was the best example of a place that "should" like hockey - had significant AHL support, had a stron NCAA program and the NHL would be the only "major" sporrt in town.

Forgive me if I don't trust the brainstrust that made that into a complete disaster to make better decisions in a different market.

Phoenix has rhe same problem Dallas has - ownership.

Edmonton's threatening to leave. Who? The players? No, the owner.

Minnesota "can't compete" with the big market teams and then signs the two top FAs on the market with huge signing bonus deals.

Buffalo was really worried about the Sabres moving, now they have an owner with local ties who wants to ice a winner.

Funny how it alwys seems to be the main problem with a franchise succeeding or failing seems to be ownership.

And that's clearly the player's fault.

Sarcasm, it's the new Feng Shui.....I am sure that a couple of the "poorest " teams have more than just owner problems but I do agree with rad that it is the heart of the problem.

@radoran I 100% agree with you that contraction is the best possible answer for the NHL's problems. I just don't think it will ever happen, not in a long time anyways, and certianly not on Bettmans watch. It would make the on ice product stronger, putting a whole lot of has beens out of work that have no right being in the league....it would make the remaining teams stronger....it's the obvious solution, but like I said, the NHLPA would never be on board with this, and more importantly the little weasel would never allow it...he would consider it failure, and we all know his giant ego would not let himself be involved with that kind of thing....history must show Gary was a saviour....the most important thing ever...LOL!

@radoran I 100% agree with you that contraction is the best possible answer for the NHL's problems. I just don't think it will ever happen, not in a long time anyways, and certianly not on Bettmans watch. It would make the on ice product stronger, putting a whole lot of has beens out of work that have no right being in the league....it would make the remaining teams stronger....it's the obvious solution, but like I said, the NHLPA would never be on board with this, and more importantly the little weasel would never allow it...he would consider it failure, and we all know his giant ego would not let himself be involved with that kind of thing....history must show Gary was a saviour....the most important thing ever...LOL!

Oh, I agree 100000000000% that it will never happen.

But until they address the root of the problem all CBA negotiations will be lather. rinse. repeat.