Uh oh, Schenn's coming back soon...

Guest TedZep

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I don't see anyway he doesn't play with big club unless they do short conditioning stint in the AHL. With that being said the last time was a disaster. They shuffled 3 of the 4 lines just to fit him. In this case I hope they simply swap one player for one player, even if it means he plays wing. He needs to prove himself at this point to get something more...

I'd park him until a top line forward gets hurt.

This is the strategy I thought they should've employed the first time around. Could've been coincidence but the team's chemistry certainly appeared to take a hit when he joined the lineup last time .

It's not impossible to fit him into the lineup, but the question is where:

First Line:

LW Scott Hartnell(notes), C Claude Giroux, RW Jaromir Jagr(notes)

Second Line:

LW James van Riemsdyk(notes), C Danny Briere(notes), RW Wayne Simmonds

Third Line:

LW Matt Read, C Max Talbot, RW Jakub Voracek

Fourth Line:

LW Harry Zolnierczyk(notes), C Sean Couturier(notes), RW Zac Rinaldo(notes)

Clearly Nodl (while injured) is "out". I'd caution against having an entire fourth line of rookies, but we already have an entire fourth line of rookies.

It's a good problem to have, but it is a problem...

With the teams current play, it would make more sense to put him playing top line minutes for the Phantoms as opposed to spot time on the 4th line with the Flyers. Also,roster-wise, someone will have to be sent down to make room for him, won't they?

With the teams current play, it would make more sense to put him playing top line minutes for the Phantoms as opposed to spot time on the 4th line with the Flyers. Also,roster-wise, someone will have to be sent down to make room for him, won't they?

Yes, someone will have to be sent down. My guess is Z.

If you *had* to put Schenn back in, here's what it could look like:

H/G/J

JVR/Briere/Schenn

Voracek/Talbot/Read

Simmonds/Couturier/Rinaldo

Kinda crappy for SImmonds to be on the 4th, but he's kind of the odd man out if you force Schenn back in. The 3rd line has shown nice chemistry, while the JVR/Briere/Simmonds line has been ineffective. In any case, that's not your typical 4th line that will get 5-7 minutes... they'll get upwards of 10 and be a scoring threat and defensively responsible.

Plus, they'll give the other guys more rest.

The way JVR has been playing (possibly injury related), this could be a good time to sit him. Since he has come back from his game being a "healthy" scratch, he has been mostly invisible. This could be a good opportunity to rest him and give Schenn a shot without disrupting the rest of the lines.....

The way JVR has been playing (possibly injury related), this could be a good time to sit him

This is my thought to. While sitting JVR for an extensive period wouldn't be the best thing for him, splitting a spot between Schenn and JVR until both really get going might not be a bad thing. A little pressure on both while not losing someone that is actually contributing.

i don't see the rush. i'd send schenn down once he's healthy, and tap him as the first offensive recall. trying to fit him into a healthy roster is going to mash things up. someone will get hurt at some point; he'll get his chances. no need to force the issue. as far as i can tell, all the rookies currently with the team have earned their spots. i'd hate to send Z or someone down just because of schenn's pedigree. they've busted ass for their opportunity.

This is my thought to. While sitting JVR for an extensive period wouldn't be the best thing for him, splitting a spot between Schenn and JVR until both really get going might not be a bad thing. A little pressure on both while not losing someone that is actually contributing.

I agree with you. Both of them needs to get going and hopefully they can get Briere going with them. Would be nice to see a line of JVR/Briere/Schenn. Maybe move Simmonds to 3rd or 4th line. Also when Schenn comes back they need to send 2 guys down to cover his salary, my guest would be Z and Rinaldo so they can keep Gustavsson as a 7th dman.

Edited by Vincent05

From Tim P:

Brayden Schenn was on the ice Wednesday for the first time in weeks with his Flyers teammates.

He was on the “Scratch Line” centering Jody Shelley (healthy) and Andreas Nodl (left knee).

Schenn has been skating for three days, but this was the first time the rookie has been with his teammates since suffering a fracture in his left foot on Oct. 26 at Montreal.

He’s missed eight games while being on long-term injury.

“The main goal is to get it better day by day,” said Schenn, adding he felt “pretty good.” “Obviously, no timeline. Hopefully, tomorrow it feels better.”

Schenn went hard in drills, too, but remains in a walking shoe off the ice.

“If I can’t go hard then there is no point in me being out there,” he said. “I feel pretty good. Really, all I can do is get myself back in skating shape. Hopefully, it continues to heal.”

Coach Peter Laviolette said he couldn’t read much into Schenn being on the ice given it was just his first time and it’s been a while since he last skated with the team.

“He’s a great kid, who works hard, and eventually, he will get back in there,” Laviolette said.

Schenn said while the doctors haven’t restricted him, he continues to exercise caution on the ice.

“I haven’t been skating on it a whole lot,” he said. “Just be cautious off the start and test it out every day. I wear the walking shoe and keep it on for extra protection and what not. Just keep on the rehab part of things until the swelling goes down.”

This has been a rough season for Schenn, with a left shoulder injury in training camp, then being sent to the Phantoms as a result of that plus salary cap issues in early October.

All of that came before the foot injury.

“It’s not the start I was looking for,” Schenn said. “I know there is a lot of hockey left to be played, a lot of games ... hit some right patches off the start here, but I think I can contribute to this team and get things out of the way.”

Again, there is no timeline.

“My job is to get myself ready to play a game,” he said. “Whenever that is, I will be ready.”

link

@Vincent05

That's a good point. I didn't think about salary. Was just thinking about spots in general. I like how Z is playing. I can take or leave Rinaldo. Shelly/Rinaldo send down?? If that could happen it would be my first choice.

Homer loves Shelley too much to send him anywhere, lol. It's nice that we have these young players but a shame that they can't stay up because of cap reasons. Hopefully Homer learns better cap management from this going forward.

Homer loves Shelley too much to send him anywhere, lol. It's nice that we have these young players but a shame that they can't stay up because of cap reasons.

even better when they can't play because Shelley is eating up a roster spot AND tying up 1.1 mil for a whopping 2 TOI per game

Yes, someone will have to be sent down. My guess is Z.

If you *had* to put Schenn back in, here's what it could look like:

H/G/J

JVR/Briere/Schenn

Voracek/Talbot/Read

Simmonds/Couturier/Rinaldo

Kinda crappy for SImmonds to be on the 4th, but he's kind of the odd man out if you force Schenn back in. The 3rd line has shown nice chemistry, while the JVR/Briere/Simmonds line has been ineffective. In any case, that's not your typical 4th line that will get 5-7 minutes... they'll get upwards of 10 and be a scoring threat and defensively responsible.

Plus, they'll give the other guys more rest.

I agree with those lines, and actually think fans should look at that roster a bit differently than your ordinary hockey roster. That's a team which can roll four lines all day, keeping everyone fresh. With the right design of the PK and PP lines, this could be an excellent roster with balance.