Uh oh, Schenn's coming back soon...

Guest TedZep

So you guys don't want Brayden Schenn on the team? LOL! Only in Philly.

No, I think it's that he shouldn't be given a roster spot "just because". He hasn't earned anything, and the guys in there are playing well. Why would you disrupt that?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I think it's that he shouldn't be given a roster spot "just because". He hasn't earned anything, and the guys in there are playing well. Why would you disrupt that?

yeah, i'm not sure why that is so shocking. there just isn't a need or a fit right now.

I do want to see him on the roster to see what he can do. It's a shame he got injured to start out his career here.

He was the main piece of the Richards trade and a highly touted prospect. He did get 8 points in 4 games at the AHL level so he deserves a look here, I don't blame him when he was in the lineup and the team was losing with him. Lavy changed the lines all over the place, doesn't hurt right now to let him take JVR's spot as he is struggling. Plus only the first line is consistent so far also he might help out our 2nd PP unit as they have done squat there.

Schenn will be a bust. Book it.

How do you know by just watching the 4 games he was here may I ask? Then you're saying we got rob from the trade? I do hope you are wrong, I want to see him succeed as he can be one the many young forwards with bright future here.

Edited by Vincent05

He was the main piece of the Richards trade and a highly touted prospect. He did get 8 points in 4 games at the AHL level so he deserves a look here, I don't blame him when he was in the lineup and the team was losing with him. Lavy changed the lines all over the place, doesn't hurt right now to let him take JVR's spot as he is struggling. Plus only the first line is consistent so far also he might help out our 2nd PP unit as they have done squat there.

8 pts at the AHL in 4 games, yes, he seemed to be tearing it up. And he has 0 pts in 4 games and is -5 with us, and 2 pts in 13 NHL games and is -7 over his 'career'. The point is that nothing in his NHL play (however minimal it may be) makes me think we should disrupt what is a winning NHL roster for a prospect.

I hope Schenn turns out to be great and lives up to his 'best prospect in the world' billing. But what is the rush to get him into a winning lineup? A number of moves will have to be made (salary and roster spots) and that means demoting guys who have proven with their play that they belong.

It's just a case of not having any logical spots for Schenn on our roster at the moment. That will change, I'm sure ;)

Schenn has been available to play in the NHL for three years and never been able to crack LA's line up,he comes to the Flyers and it is starting to become clearer,why. So far he is a great AHL'er .(remember Mike Manelok?) Homer said"The best player not in the NHL", is that an endorsement? Homer's greatest move this year is getting the kid with the 8th pick! Now if you compare "The Kid" to Schenn the difference is pretty glaring. (Reminding everybody to thank Jeff Carter for the 8th pick)

The way JVR has been playing (possibly injury related), this could be a good time to sit him. Since he has come back from his game being a "healthy" scratch, he has been mostly invisible. This could be a good opportunity to rest him and give Schenn a shot without disrupting the rest of the lines.....

I would support this too. Otherwise, don't disrupt the currentsituation. The team seems to have something developing, they look to be playing well together for the most part. Ride that wave for as long as possible.

You've seen the various reasons. I assume you've read the thread. If not, I'll wait.... back? Good. Then you know that the team is playing well and there really isn't a spot for him - yet.

He is better off playing a top line in the AHL than the fourth line in the NHL. The same could maybe said of Couturier, but the AHL isn't an option, and he's played well while Schenn hasn't.

He's young, he (and we) have time.

We traded Richards for Schenn. Simmonds was the secondary part of the trade. He's proven he's above AHL calibre. I'm not saying he should take Couturiers spot or deserves immediate first line status. I'm just laughing at the "Oh no, Schenns back" attitude of some people like he's horrible or something. 29 other teams wish they had him.

Schenn has been available to play in the NHL for three years and never been able to crack LA's line up,he comes to the Flyers and it is starting to become clearer,why. So far he is a great AHL'er .(remember Mike Manelok?) Homer said"The best player not in the NHL", is that an endorsement? Homer's greatest move this year is getting the kid with the 8th pick! Now if you compare "The Kid" to Schenn the difference is pretty glaring. (Reminding everybody to thank Jeff Carter for the 8th pick)

That's amazing he's been available for 3 years when he's an 09 draft pick. In other words, this is the beginning of his 3rd year...so he's on the same learning curve as another horrible prospect we had named Giroux. And in his 3rd year after being drafted (at the end of the season) he had a whole 27 points. I'm pretty confident Schenn could equal that, given the chance.

I would support this too. Otherwise, don't disrupt the currentsituation. The team seems to have something developing, they look to be playing well together for the most part. Ride that wave for as long as possible.

Okay, based on the one game he played last night, maybe I jumped the gun on sitting JVR. He had a good game. That said, I still think it's important not to disrupt the current chemistry if it can be helped at all.

Schenn should turn out to be a very good hockey player. What that has to do with Peter White I have no idea. The guy proved he was an elite junior. He proved he was an elite AHLer. Doesn't that mean he's earned the right to try to play in the NHL, until proven otherwise? And by that, I don't mean 4 games.

this is a discussion where i can see all sides.... i fall squarely in the camp that want to see him on the ice in the NHL though; he's got size, he's not jeff carter hockey stupid, he's been a man among boys at every level of hockey except the KHL an NHL

i also don't know where he fits on this roster, play him outta position on the wing ? put him on the 4th line ? none of those options sound very good to me. i will say if schenn turns out to be a good player we're in a pretty nice situation with our depth at forward and that is all good.

this is a discussion where i can see all sides.... i fall squarely in the camp that want to see him on the ice in the NHL though; he's got size, he's not jeff carter hockey stupid, he's been a man among boys at every level of hockey except the KHL an NHL

i also don't know where he fits on this roster, play him outta position on the wing ? put him on the 4th line ? none of those options sound very good to me. i will say if schenn turns out to be a good player we're in a pretty nice situation with our depth at forward and that is all good.

Hopefully he'll do something with this attempt. Sure, like everyone is saying, 4 games isn't the biggest sample set to judge a player on. That said, it's hard to ignore the fact that when he showed up, the team started playing crappy and he didn't look go in the process. The team is playing significantly better than when he had his first stint so hopefully that'll help him look and play better this time around. Also,I like our current center situation so I think they should move him to wing, the position Jagr vacated.

Hopefully he'll do something with this attempt. Sure, like everyone is saying, 4 games isn't the biggest sample set to judge a player on. That said, it's hard to ignore the fact that when he showed up, the team started playing crappy and he didn't look go in the process. The team is playing significantly better than when he had his first stint so hopefully that'll help him look and play better this time around. Also,I like our current center situation so I think they should move him to wing, the position Jagr vacated.

Seriously, you're going to blame a 20 year old NHL rookie with 4 games on his new team for making his teammates, and $51 miilion goalie play like crap??? If he has that effect, that's one lameass team we have, considering he's exactly the type of player I'd love to have. Schenn can play wing, NP. Then again, can he be any worse at faceoffs than what we presently have? But sure, for starters he can play right wing.

Edited by flyercanuck

Seriously, you're going to blame a 20 year old NHL rookie with 4 games on his new team for making his teammates, and $51 miilion goalie play like crap??? If he has that effect, that's one lameass team we have, considering he's exactly the type of player I'd love to have. Schenn can play wing, NP. Then again, can he be any worse at faceoffs than what we presently have? But sure, for starters he can play right wing.

who said I was blaming anybody? All I said was he shows up and the team starts playing like crap. If you want to believe that I implied he had a direct impact on that result then go for it. People talk about chemistry and not ***** with lines all the time. Maybe it wasn't his presence that was causing the problem directly but someone had to sit to make room for him. Lines had to be changed around. The team lost chemistry along the way there somewhere. So was he a direct problem? no, but it's hard to ignore the trend and say that something wasn't a miss there. Don't get me wrong though,I like the guy.

who said I was blaming anybody? All I said was he shows up and the team starts playing like crap. If you want to believe that I implied he had a direct impact on that result then go for it. People talk about chemistry and not ***** with lines all the time. Maybe it wasn't his presence that was causing the problem directly but someone had to sit to make room for him. Lines had to be changed around. The team lost chemistry along the way there somewhere. So was he a direct problem? no, but it's hard to ignore the trend and say that something wasn't a miss there. Don't get me wrong though,I like the guy.

All I said was I lit the fuse and the bomb blew up. If you want to imply that lighting the fuse had something to do with the bomb exploding in that sentence, go for it. ;-)

There's really no need to dump on Schenn.

I think this team was due for a bump in the road, and it happened to happen when Schenn was called up. Bryz got a bug in his head (as happens with Bryz - then he tends to turn in runs like he's on now). The D started playing like three pairings who really hadn't played together too much. It was 1-3-0.

IMO there's no way that a 20yo callup can "disrupt" an NHL locker room to this extent (now that Billy Tibbetts is no longer with us). The real problem with Schenn is the cap implications - nothing to do with the 1-3-0 record or the "way the team played." This team is skating the thin thin edge of cap compliance.

Which is why I said what I said earlier in the thread that if there's a rational space - I like that third line LOD had Voracek/Schenn/Read - but I really have no idea what kind of player Schenn actually is on the ice. I've seen him for four games (plus preseason and the rookie game (live)) at the NHL level. Is he a playmaker? Finisher? Two-way?

We don't know yet.

There's also no need to rush Schenn into the lineup. If there's space, put him in. If not, he's a very nice insurance policy for a top 9 forward in Adirondack.

Is he really good? After I'm seeing him for couple game he was average player. I don't know if Shenn is better then Nodl. He didn't impress me yet. I'm afraid he is going be a lot expectation but zero result or almost zero result.

I think is now a good time trade him and Bob for future number one defenseman.