Lets Play Fantacy Commissioner!

idahophilly

I'll take the CBA talk down a different path just for fun! Since the league seems to be TRYING to self destruct itself then lets go the full monty.

For fun, I will pretend that I'm commissioner and dictator of the NHL and decide what I would do to the league. It doesn't have to be based in reality in anyway. It's just for fun. So let's go blow up the league!

Many want to contract the league. I will expand the league by 2 teams! Seattle and Quebec each get a team. Seattle will be named the "The Seattle Seals" and of coarse Quebec will be named the Nordiques.

Save the Oilers and Islanders at all costs (just ask the players to pony up the money) by getting them new arenas. They are storied franchises and should not go anywhere. Besides, the Atlantic division is fantastic the way it is. Do nothing to disrupt this!

Florida is moved to Hartford to bring back the Whalers. If anyone in Boston complains I fine them an automatic 250K.

Phoenix! Oh yes, the albatross of the league. The team that is the poster child for half this CBA/Lockout crap... I would set demo charges on the Glendale arena and level it to end ANY hope of the team staying there. Then move the survivors to Kansas City (the Chiefs are back!). Even if they don't ultimatly make it there, lots of players will dine on the Fabulous Kansas City Steak Companies steaks! Worth the 3-5 year experiment by itself.

Columbus Blue Jackets. Good lord, what can I say. They are off to the bitter north of Saskatoon if for no other reason to punish any player that voluntarily signed with Columbus. Besides, it will take a year or two for Columbus to realize their team moved.

Pick one other weak team, lets say Carolina, and move them to either Hamilton or Atlanta... Flip a coin. If Atlanta, I say 3rd time is a charm. If Hamilton then it screws with Toronto and Buffalo! That's worth the price right there. And, I don't even wait for Buffalo and Toronto to complain. I fine both teams an automatic 500K each just for being there...

Now, onto rule changes.

Trapezoid...gone!

Instigator Penalty...gone!

Goalie interference out side of the crease...gone! If the goalie comes out to play the puck oh well.

Institute no touch icing.

Good by to the shootout. 5 min OT 5 on 5, then another 4 min OT 4 on 4, then 3 min OT 3 on 3. Call this the 5,4,3 rule. If not decided, it's a tie.

No more 3 point games. You either win or lose or tie (1 point each). No more playing for a gaurenteed 1 point OT/shootout scenerio.

1 coach challenge per game.

2 timeouts instead of 1 (includes the coach challenge if used).

CBA Resolution...

I would dictate a 50/50 split. Players would be gaurenteeed their current contracts. Each profitable team would have a set % set aside for teams who need a little help (and that's all they would get, a little bit). Otherwise sink or swim.

Players would have a set amount for their escrow payment.

No more monkeying around with what is considered HRR. Everything is included.

Mandatory 8 years on the new CBA.

Entry level contracts for 4 years.

Soft salary cap. If a team wants to exceed the cap they can but must match dollar for dollar into the escrow fund (think luxury tax).

Home town - home grown cap relief for a player that was drafted by a team and has stayed with the team. (ala Crosby and Giroux... Only half there salary counts against the cap. That helps keep rich teams from poaching the less fotunate teams best players and protects all the hard work the team has done in drafting and developing the player only to see them get out offered. This would have helped Nashville in the Weber scenerio)

So what would you do if you were "god" of the NHL for a day? If I think of anything else I'll add it.

And on a more realistic thought...

I was thinking on the threat from the Oilers to move the team out of Edmonton. I have to believe the owner is already calculating the damage to be done to his team because of either a whole or even half season lost. This lockout is substantialy about helping the weak teams. But the lockout is gonna hurt those teams the most! The Flyers, Rangers, Canadians and Toronto's of the league will be fine.

I wouldn't be suprised to see a stampede of teams in the next 1-2 years threating to or actually having to move because of their finances...

@idahophilly You're post looked a little long, and I thought it was boring CBA stuff, so I was gonna skip it, glad I did not! That is some great creative writing right there Idaho! I really, really enjoyed that....great work...I knew you had a good sense of humor, but didn't know you could churn that out!!!

• Like 1

@idahophilly You're post looked a little long, and I thought it was boring CBA stuff, so I was gonna skip it, glad I did not! That is some great creative writing right there Idaho! I really, really enjoyed that....great work...I knew you had a good sense of humor, but didn't know you could churn that out!!!

And thanks! I actually held back! Didn't want to go COMPLETLY looney...

@idahophilly Thing is, a lot of people would be pissed, but if those moves were *REALLY* implemented, I'd be in hockey heaven!!

Love this quote "Columbus Blue Jackets. Good lord, what can I say. They are off to the bitter north of Saskatoon if for no other reason to punish any player that voluntarily signed with Columbus. Besides, it will take a year or two for Columbus to realize their team moved."

LMFAO!!!

@idahophilly Thing is, a lot of people would be pissed, but if those moves were *REALLY* implemented, I'd be in hockey heaven!!

Love this quote "Columbus Blue Jackets. Good lord, what can I say. They are off to the bitter north of Saskatoon if for no other reason to punish any player that voluntarily signed with Columbus. Besides, it will take a year or two for Columbus to realize their team moved."

LMFAO!!!

I wish I had of remembered the Crosby Malkin thing I was going to add and the player ban on pancakes.

I should change the title and add "must read sarcasm" to get more of our regulars reading it. Didn't think that they might think it was just another boring CBA thread.

If I were god I'd and could make any change to hockey it would be with how it is officiated.

First, replace the linesmen with electronic gadgets (or trained chimpanzees), to call off-sides and icings.

Keep two refs, who now have to break up fights 'cause the two linesmen are gone. But there is a Lead/Sr ref and Jr ref. Accountability lies with the Sr. He can even overrule the Jr guy if need be.

Put the decision-making back in the refs hands and make them more accountable (somehow) by taking away their ability to become robots (e.g. if a stick breaks it must be slashing on someone) through rule clarification.

If I were god I'd and could make any change to hockey it would be with how it is officiated.

First, replace the linesmen with electronic gadgets (or trained chimpanzees), to call off-sides and icings.

Keep two refs, who now have to break up fights 'cause the two linesmen are gone. But there is a Lead/Sr ref and Jr ref. Accountability lies with the Sr. He can even overrule the Jr guy if need be.

Put the decision-making back in the refs hands and make them more accountable (somehow) by taking away their ability to become robots (e.g. if a stick breaks it must be slashing on someone) through rule clarification.

Hmmm, I had not considered the officiating. That would be a huge thing to be fixed. I agree, the automatic stuff needs to end. Intent needs to be factored in. But wasn't the automatic stuff instituted do get rid of the wildly vary calls by refs? It obviously didn't work. So I side with you. I'd rather have the human element involved rather than them being mindless robots...

I'd rather have the human element involved rather than them being mindless robots...

It appears it's a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't, but these guys get paid to do what they, so as long as they do, they have to be accountable. I'd settle for robots I guess, at least once your sunk costs were paid for, it'd be free. Right now, we have lose-lose: robots who we have to keep paying a salary.

Well, I guess I'd rather have intent judged rather than human robots. How many times have you seen a stick break with no intent by the other player and it's a near automatic slashing penalty. Let's face it, the most serious thing we have heard about are the concussions and everytime the Shanny man does his videos on hits he talks about intent. If they talk about intent there then why not on other calls. I know, it's not in the 'heat' of the game so to speak.

It's like the agitator slapping a guy in the head in a scrum behind the net but when the other guys swipes back at him he gets the roughing penalty. You know the ref knew the agitator was asking for it... I don't know, maybe thats the best way for it to work out.