Team Canada LOADED due to lockout!

jammer2

This years version of Team Canada at the World Juniors in Decemeber might just rival the famous 05 team. As most remember, the 05 team was one of Canada's best ever. With the likes of Mike Richards, Jeff Carter, Cory Perry, Ryan Getzlaf, Sidney Crosby and Shea Weber (among many others of course), team Canada was wicked good that year. Now comes this season, with the lockout wiping out more and more of the NHL season as we speak, it's time to look at who might just be there for Canada should the NHL not work things out.

First and foremost, it looks as if Ryan Nugent-Hopkins will be playing. Others that could (or even should) have been in the NHL come early October read like a whos who of young stars. Ryan Strome of the Islanders, Johnathan Huberdeau of the Panthers, Dougie Hamilton of the Bruins, Mark Scheifele of the Jets, Columbus prospects Ryan Murray and Boone Jenner and the Hurricanes Ryan Murphy. What a star studded cast, it will be real hard to crack the line-up of Team Canada this year...wow, that is a boatload of talent!!

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=406174

@jammer2

Those guys are all crazy good, esp. Huberdeau, but even the lesser known guys like Jenner are amazing. I was very impressed with him and Murphy, as well as Hudon, in that Russia Challenge series that was in Halifax in the summer.

Edited by Podein25

I obviously always look forward to the WJHCs. But when there's a lockout (which is starting to come like clockwork-thanks gary and the @#$%ing owners) it makes it twice as good. If there's no NHL, it's the best hockey going in my opinion. And Canada usually has their best 5-10 players in the NHL. (damn, Couturier is a month too old to play)

@Podein25 I can hardly think a few games at the AHL level trumps the World Jr's as far as player development goes. It would be a mistake to not let a kid play in that tourney. Competing against the very best in the world in your age group has *got* to be great for development, and gives a nice barometer of how a kid fits into the overall scheme of things as far as true value goes....if you dominate there, you can pretty well guarantee you can dominate anywhere (with a few exceptions of course).

@jammer2

Don't disagree, but a team (in this case the Rangers) can simply assign a 19 year old American-born to the AHL and that's it. I guess the team could still let him go play, since it's good for his development. But I could see how a team wouldn't do that if they need him in the lineup.