Briere, Giroux to join German team Eisbären Berlin

Guest fan4ever

:angry:

This just keeps getting more and more painful!

"Danny Briere and Claude Giroux are headed to Europe to play for Eisbären Berlin in the Deutsche Eishiockey Liga (DEL).

Briere texted CSNPhilly.com this morning with the news.

“No other comment,” Briere said.

Berlin’s coach is Don Jackson, a former Ottawa Senators assistant coach.

Briere and Giroux join goalie Ilya Bryzgalov (CSKA of KHL) and forwards Ruslan Fedotenko (Donbass of KHL); Jakub Voracek (HC Lev Praha of KLA); Wayne Simmonds (Eispiraten Crimmitschau of the Bundesleague); and Matt Read (Sodertalje of SEL).

Scott Hartnell is also expected to make a decision on Europe by week’s end.

Eisbaren Berlin is owned by Anschutz Entertainment Group which owns the Los Angeles Kings."

Good news for me... It's a hell of a lot quicker to fly to Berlin than Philly. And lower bowl seats for less than $50 a ticket too. Could see a couple weekends away there soon.

The bad news is the NHL ain't coming back until at least January, if then :(

I'm really not getting Briere choosing to play in Germany. Or this whole migration to Europe, for what?? Most aren't making much money. For some it may even be costing money as many are having to get their own insurance.

So, I guess the players are proving that they have other places to play......ok, they are also stating that they will play for less.

Now back to Briere...... I thought raising his 3 sons, tending to their hockey activities was of utmost importance. The guy makes over 6M a year, so of course he has money in the bank ......so why?? Why has he chosen to play in Europe? If the lockout lasts the entire year, then he has chosen to be away from his kids for the most part till next May.

I really don't get it.

@hf101

I was thinking about his kids last night as well. It seems he would stay here due to school and all but maybe his ex-wife is still in the area and they'll be living with her for the time being.

The whole thing just sucks...get this lockout over with already.......

I'm really not getting Briere choosing to play in Germany. Or this whole migration to Europe, for what?? Most aren't making much money. For some it may even be costing money as many are having to get their own insurance.

So, I guess the players are proving that they have other places to play......ok, they are also stating that they will play for less.

Now back to Briere...... I thought raising his 3 sons, tending to their hockey activities was of utmost importance. The guy makes over 6M a year, so of course he has money in the bank ......so why?? Why has he chosen to play in Europe? If the lockout lasts the entire year, then he has chosen to be away from his kids for the most part till next May.

I really don't get it.

Maybe they just want to play hockey? I know they could have got a couple of teams together, but that would get old, fast. But I don't get Briere going like you said.

@hf101

@flyercanuck

It's weird, but I think a guy Briere's age has to worry about losing a step by not playing at a high level. If you can't find a way to play at a high level at home you have to find a league. Not sure about that league as far as elite competition goes, but it's better than sitting on the couch playing NHL 13

• Like 2

@hf101 Perhaps the NHLPA mandated that as many players go over to Europe as possible, to show the owners they can make a living without the NHL....just grasping at straws, cause I don't get Danny's move either.

It could be a way to call the NHL's bluff. So if the NHL ends its lockout are these European contracts voided?

Why the two chose Germany this time of year? Hmmmm I can only think of two reasons on that:

oktoberfest_girls-.jpg

OKTOBERFEST GERMANY!!!!

Eins, zwei, g'suffa!

I have very fond memories of the Hofbrau Haus tent @ Octoberfest Munchen....Good Times. I still have a few mugs from those days...