All is Peaches and Cream!

Guest idahophilly

The latest from Eklund. It must be nice to live in his strange little world.... I made the font larger and underlined on the lines I laughed at!

Refusing to Get Sucked Into Doom and Gloom. Fight the Urge!

Quick update for now...I am hearing we may be finding out about the next round of talks later today, but I was reading the internets today and was shocked at the number of mainstream writers who are now saying there will be no games played this season.

I don't know who they are talking to, but I am talking to many on each side and there is no basis to believe the worst at all at this point. Absolutely none. I get the frustration....believe me I get it. Those of us who have livelihoods tied to this sport are taking huge hits as the NHL and NHLPA sit around NOT talking about anything. It is so very easy to get sucked into the void and think "here we go again."

But perspective is so very important. This is not 04-05. There is no "Salary Cap" like issue threatening the survival of a less than $2Billion Dollar pro sports league without a TV contract. This is purely about money....and a game of chicken. This is close to a $4 billion business with a huge TV deal in the states. This game is entirely unique.

I say it is a "game of chicken" because it feels that way. Two sides about to collide and each side waiting for the other side to flinch. I also call it a game of chicken because the collision is coming. November and December are coming. The NHL and NHLPA can't stop those months from happening and the money lost in them negating any wins either side sees in this CBA.

This WILL get done. I refuse to believe, even in the worst case scenario with egos and all the baggage these sides have for each other, that both sides would chose death over life. Fehr and Bettman are reasonable men. You don't have to agree with them, but neither is the boogie man..last I checked. Each is a fierce negotiator and neither is about NOT negotiating. If the season is lost neither will keep their jobs. I have talked to enough people on both sides to know the constituents are willing to play along for now, but only provided there is an end game...and end game which ends with games..

This will get done? I'll look for anything that factually points in that direction but there is nothing at this point...

They are reasonable men??? In what frickin' world is he living in that makes him think Bettman is even CLOSE to being reasonable. Fehr, maybe, but HAS to make the stand here and now, no matter what...

And for once, why can't he atleast tell us what "type" of idiot sources he is talking to? (players, agents, secretaries, the guy cooking the hot dogs, the homeless guy 2 blocks down and one block to the east?)

Good god!

@idahophilly THIS...."If the season is lost neither will keep their jobs. I have talked to enough people on both sides to know the constituents are willing to play along for now, but only provided there is an end game...and end game which ends with games.. "

I don't know about that....they will both keep their jobs....the 8 owners running things will keep their puppet intact, and Fehr on the other side has untied the NHLPA like no one else ever has....he would be a HUGE loss, don't know if he is replaceable, who will keep them united if he is gone? Others have tried, he seems like the best man for the job!