BRYZ THINK SOME RUSSIAN PLAYERS MIGHT STAY IN KHL

Guest AlaskaFlyerFan

Please, Please, Please Bryz! You can stay in the KHL!!! http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=406898
Maybe this is why Snider is one of the main supporters of the lockout.......now if that is the case, I surely can weather this lockout a bit longer :P

But can you weather it for ... say... 8 years? Cuz that's how long you have him for ;) LOL

Not to state the obvious, but some already have.

Radulov, for example. One of the Kostitsyns just went back.

Wouldn't surprise me if Semin was headed back there.

And I still half-expect Bryz to serve out the last few years of his current deal in Russia.

OK, say the worst thing happens, Bryz is not effective next year at all. What if Snider gives a Russian team 50 mill to pay his KHL salary and grants him his release. Now, would the act of granting him his release be considered circumventing the cap? After all, he would be getting salary relief without a devastating cap buy out to pay for...is this a legit loophole?

OK, say the worst thing happens, Bryz is not effective next year at all. What if Snider gives a Russian team 50 mill to pay his KHL salary and grants him his release. Now, would the act of granting him his release be considered circumventing the cap? After all, he would be getting salary relief without a devastating cap buy out to pay for...is this a legit loophole?

I think it's more like Bryz "retires" and then six months later "tries a comeback" in the KHL and the Flyers don't and/or meagerly contest it.

Could all be moot under the new CBA anyway.

Now Zetterberg states that some Russians may stay in Russia.......

“I know for a fact Russians will probably stay,” Zetterberg said. “I can’t blame them either. The Russian league treats players a different way. For them to play in their home country and not have these [labor] disputes every other year … and they honor the contracts over there.

“If you sign a deal, that’s the deal you get.”

Posturing. if the KHL were such a great place to be, why would they all come here in the first place. This is all posturing by the players association.

Well, maybe not...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/hockey/nhl/07/16/khl-nhl-agreement.ap/index.html

NEW YORK (AP) -- The National Hockey League and Kontinental Hockey League have extended their agreement for another year which calls for each to work together on the transfer of players between the leagues.

The announcement was posted on the Russia-based KHL's website. The extension runs through June 30, 2013.

Suppose it's July, 2013 and there is no extension of the agreement? If the NHL lockout takes out the whole season, I could see the KHL saying they "have to let the players play" and signing some of the Russian stars - Ovechkin? Malkin? - who may just burn their bridge in the NHL (and perhaps even make more money in the KHL in a "hometown bonus").

I had thought they had more a formal agreement instead of a memorandum of understanding - and they claim to never have had a dispute over a contract (Radulov notwithstanding).

Well, maybe not...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/hockey/nhl/07/16/khl-nhl-agreement.ap/index.html

Suppose it's July, 2013 and there is no extension of the agreement? If the NHL lockout takes out the whole season, I could see the KHL saying they "have to let the players play" and signing some of the Russian stars - Ovechkin? Malkin? - who may just burn their bridge in the NHL (and perhaps even make more money in the KHL in a "hometown bonus").

I had thought they had more a formal agreement instead of a memorandum of understanding - and they claim to never have had a dispute over a contract (Radulov notwithstanding).

I still think its posturing. The best players in the world remain in the NHL. The Stanley Cup remains in the NHL. The best Russian players still want to win it all against the best competition.

@hf101

For them to play in their home country and not have these [labor] disputes every other year … and they honor the contracts over there.

Do their airlines honor their contracts? And with that deal you also get the Russian way of life. Quality of life is much better over here.

@hf101

For them to play in their home country and not have these [labor] disputes every other year … and they honor the contracts over there.

Do their airlines honor their contracts? And with that deal you also get the Russian way of life. Quality of life is much better over here.

No plane has ever crashed in America. Good to know.

The "Russian way of life" may not look so bad - to Russians...

No plane has ever crashed in America. Good to know.

The "Russian way of life" may not look so bad - to Russians...

How many pro teams have been wiped out by planes piloted by non-pilots?

It may not look so bad, until they come over here. I get the family and friends thing. Don't know what it's like in Philly, but we've had a LOT of Russians immigrate to this area over the last ten years or so. I doubt many North Americans are going the other way.

It may not look so bad, until they come over here. I get the family and friends thing. Don't know what it's like in Philly, but we've had a LOT of Russians immigrate to this area over the last ten years or so. I doubt many North Americans are going the other way.

There is a large and growing Russian population in the Northeast area of Philly and a fairly huge community in North Jersey.

The difference being that hockey players - oligarchs, etc. - making millions lead a significantly different life than the average person in Russia. Or anywhere for that matter.

Trying to make that comparison for the average person - in 2005, average Russian income was about $11K and the "current economic crisis" hasn't exactly helped - is like trying to pretend the NHL lockout is some sort of run-of-the-mill "labor dispute."

Russians don't grow up dreaming about winning the Stanley Cup like Canadians and, to an extent, Americans do. Their primary focus - like most Europeans - is the world stage in Championships and Olympics.

I'll wager Forsberg holds his Gold Medal in higher regard than his Cups.

• Like 1

Totally agree with you there Rad. It's why I'm not a Russian fan when it comes to the NHL, they just don't seem to care for the most part. Sure you have the odd Datsyuk, but there's way more Kovalevs and Kozlovs and Kovalchuks (whose a hybrid of determination and don't give a #%$@). I don't think theres another nationality who cares less about winning the cup in any of the "hockey" nations.

Hockey players do lead a better life than your average Vlad. But from what my nephew told me, there's a lot of ugly industrial cities over there that just don't have the same quality of life you get here. And he was always worried about their aircraft.

@radoran I wonder what a rollback/ salary slash would do to the whole scenario....the KHL could make out like bandits here!

That's my thought as well. It might be posturing by the NHLPA but if they slash (and by default betray all the contracts they signed in good faith) the players salaries then I could see the excrement hiting the ocillating air mover...