Progress?

Guest Hexy27

I don't have a link to share but I want to see if anyone else was listening to WIP this morning. I don't often tune in to WIP on my way to work but I was channel surfing and I heard Angelo talking about Donald Fehr. Then Jonesy and Morganti chimed in. Apparently there was a decent amount of progress over the weekend. Jonesy made it sound like the players are willing to concede on most of their issues. Morganti thinks we may even see the lockout end this Thursday or Friday. Jonesy said that he is now optimistic that it will be over soon.

I tuned into the conversation a little late so I wanted to see if anyone else heard this.

I hope it's true! I'm missing it already and it really hasn't been that long (except for the usual long summer). I hate to get my hopes up because everything else I read says they are still very far apart. Of course now that Jake's hurt...season will be starting soon :( Call it Flyers luck!

I find it real hard to believe that the twitterverse has not exploded with someone trying to be the first in line to "leak" the news.....The sides are not even on the same planet unless Bettman has made major concessions which I do not see happening anytime soon as that would imply that he was wrong.........

@Hexy27

Yeah, it's at odds with the consensus. Elliot Friedman was on the CBC tonight saying not optimistic at all. I didn't get the sense from him that players had budged at all. So if there is any truth to what the WIP guys were saying, that would equate to signs of a split. Fehr doesn't exactly have a reputation for losing solidarity at crunch time, so I can't see it.

But you never know. This is a union that a very few years ago was a hot mess, let's not forget that. Lindros was involved at the end there, so I blame him naturally. :lol:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=407490

So what does everyone think about the latest offer? A 50/50 split sounds good and according to TSN the only contract restrictions left are a 5 year max on contract length and pushing unrestricted free agency back to age 28. I don't think the 5 year maximum contract length is a deal breaker but I think the latter will potentially stifle competition.

Agreed Hexy, pushing back the FA age will be a real sticking point. The 5 year contract limit is really not a big deal to me, in fact I think It's a good way to address some of the silly up-front money teams are throwing around to circumvent cap.

If they can settle on a definition of HRR, we may be on our to some hockey.