We need a Fan Response NOW

Guest King Knut

To Let Bettman and the league know that this is simply not okay. They can't keep doing this and expect the relationship with the fans to weather the storm.

Why do I put the blame on them?

BECAUSE THEY'RE THE ONES LOCKING OUT THE PLAYERS.

They're the ones who wanted expansion into cities that couldn't support it.

They're the ones that insisted on the salary cap as a result.

They're the ones who want to lower that cap this year after raising it several years in a row.

They're the ones who want to make all these changes to the CBA limiting earnings for young players and making it harder for borderline players.

Losing NHL games should be an apocalypse to be avoided at all cost.

So yeah. I blame them. Anyone who doesn't is just equivocating.

So what do we do? Is there a thing? Anything going on to tell the league this is simply unacceptable?

The BEST way to demonstrate your displeasure is to walk away from the NHL. Hit them where it hurts...their wallet. Don't tune in and don't buy any apparel or tickets. It is the only way. Letters won't do it alone but a drop in revenue would. That being said it is easier said than done because everyone wants their team back on the ice. It is not an easy thing to walk away from (not for me at least). It might be easier if the AHL was regularly televised.

• Like 2

Could not agree more with Hexy on this... if you want to send the message it starts with the money. Simple economics of the league here - owners who make less money will lose their bargaining chips and will need something on the ice to generate $$. The NHL knows the fans will come back no matter what happens and truth be told it is 100% true. Let's remember that this is not a sport for the "sport" of it - it is a business and profit machine. The sport is secondary anymore, and we the fans, are the the ones that suffer. It sucks but it is reality.

Truly a double edge sword for the fan... Unfotunately, I really do not think this stoppage is going to end anytime soon. I am in the camp that I fully expect the season to be lost. At the end of the day the owners will get what they want... the Players will get enough to make it feel like a win for them and in several years we will come to another stoppage. It is ridiculous, but again, it is a business and the NHL could care less about the fans...

Same thing as a large Corporation caring about it's customers - they dont! They just want to make $$

To Let Bettman and the league know that this is simply not okay. They can't keep doing this and expect the relationship with the fans to weather the storm.

Why do I put the blame on them?

BECAUSE THEY'RE THE ONES LOCKING OUT THE PLAYERS.

They're the ones who wanted expansion into cities that couldn't support it.

They're the ones that insisted on the salary cap as a result.

They're the ones who want to lower that cap this year after raising it several years in a row.

They're the ones who want to make all these changes to the CBA limiting earnings for young players and making it harder for borderline players.

Losing NHL games should be an apocalypse to be avoided at all cost.

So yeah. I blame them. Anyone who doesn't is just equivocating.

So what do we do? Is there a thing? Anything going on to tell the league this is simply unacceptable?

I agree with others that the only effective way is to divert your entertainment dollars elsewhere. That makes business owners pay attention in a hurry.

I love hockey and played for 15 years. There's nothing that I want more than to watch the flyers suit up and play next week. But that won't happen. And the way I look at it, especially since this has happened twice before, is that if the NHL never ever comes back, I'm ok with it. I'm sure I'd miss it, but as with the lockout, I'll forget all about it come November and keep myself occupied with something else.

And when fans reach that point - of not missing what you're selling - you're in trouble as a business. I don't know how many people see it the same way I do but I can't be the only one.

• Like 1

Hi Brelic....

I doubt that the owners give a dam whether some old guy in Vermont pays to go to an NHL game. I don't think that you or I have much leverage. If they settle, and I share Murray's view of that unlikelyhood, I'll go back and watch. But, if they don't, I've plenty of other hockey venues to occupy my time. I also think that regardless of what happens now, there'll be another lockout in a few years. It's a tool that the owners are comfortable in it's use.

Edited by blocker
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with others that the only effective way is to divert your entertainment dollars elsewhere. That makes business owners pay attention in a hurry.

I disagree. Historical evidence suggests that they'll do something like make overtime 4 on 4 or remove the red line or add teams in cities without evidence of sufficient fan bases when people start looking elsewhere with their entertainment dollars.