Trenton Titans

Guest Hexy27

Looks like I will be getting my hockey fix with the Trenton Titans. They got quite an infusion of Phantoms talent due to the lockout:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20121009_Flyers_assign_six_players_to_Trenton.html

Premium tickets are only $23 and the most expensive seat in the house is $30. Anyone else planning on checking them out?

Granted Hovinen is returning to play after hip surgery, but it's disappointing that he didn't make the Phantoms roster. But hey, congrats to Heeter.

I am most interested in seeing Hovinen in person. I wouldn't have gotten that chance if he went to Glen Falls, but we have a great opportunity to check him out in Trenton.

@Hexy27 I'm still trying to wrap my head around the Flyers sending Marcel Noebels down to the Titans instead of returning him to the Portland WInterHawks for his overage WHL year. Nothing against the ECHL, but I just think the skating is better in the WHL and he would develop more as a player...it's on odd choice.

@Hexy27 I'm still trying to wrap my head around the Flyers sending Marcel Noebels down to the Titans instead of returning him to the Portland WInterHawks for his overage WHL year. Nothing against the ECHL, but I just think the skating is better in the WHL and he would develop more as a player...it's on odd choice.

I think it it directly due to the other extras(normal AHL players) that will be suiting up there this year. It also gives Holmgren and and crew a chance to evaluate his play without having to travel cross country. You can bet that other teams are going to have the same trickle down events too. I will be catching Solar Bear games this year as 2 of the guys I work with bought season tickets. They are great seats and only cost about 15 bucks a ticket.

@flyerrod I get the trickle down effect of a stacked AHL team, I just don't understand the choice of the ECHL over the WHL. The travel to watch him play may come into play, but I'm guessing the main factors are being able to dictate how often he plays and where....and the fact his practice schedule and stuff he is working on can be directly altered by the Flyers management, not the case with Portland. Still would have sent him to the WHL, but that's just me.

I'm guessing the main factors are being able to dictate how often he plays and where....and the fact his practice schedule and stuff he is working on can be directly altered by the Flyers management, not the case with Portland.

I think this is exactly the reason why they sent him to the ECHL. The Flyers have direct control over his development and he is only about a 45 minute drive away. Looking forward to checking him out amongst others in Trenton.

@Hexy27

I went to the Titans game against the Royals in Reading. First of all it is amazing how many Flyer fans are rooting for the Capital's prospects.... :wacko: but......well they are supporting the home team. An entertaining game by the Titans, who started off strong by scoring on their first shot by Jacob Drewiske. Drewiske made it 2-0 on a shorthanded goal early in the second. Andy Bombach also scored two goals on a line with Drew Akins and Jason Akeson.

Most of the excitement of the game came from the line of Ian Slater from Florida, Steve Schultz from Germany, and Andrew Conboy of Minnesota. Both Slater and Schultz have a lot of tenacity and created a lot of turnovers for the Royals. Schultz got himself a nice goal as he ripped a shot just under the crossbar from the right circle. Conboy is a big 6-4 aggressive left winger who was center stage in a few scrums, got an unnecessary goalie interference call as he was crosschecked into the goalie, and a fight. That line had a lot of speed and had numerous scoring chances, and followed as such on second chances.....as in the goal by Ian Slater who got his goal on a line with Bombach and Nobels on a second chance effort. Slater was all over the place all night, he hustled to every loose puck. Both Schultz and Slater played well on the PK.

The greatest weakness of the game was on the power play as the Titans were 0 for 3. And as I mentioned the PK was outstanding only allowing 1 goal on the 8 Royal power plays. Yeah, and I have to mention the calls really favored the Royals. The linesman right in front of me on the blueline was a Royal Homer.

The Titans defense was solid led by Tyler Hostetter, Mitch Versteeg and Blake Kessel. The Titans minimized the Royals chances all night. Both goals of the Royals were pucks that just tricked past Wedgewood who stopped 31 shots.

@hf101

Thanks for the report! I'm hoping to make it to some games on weekends. On a side not I looked into AHL streaming. Is it me or is the pricing insane?! I'd love to buy a AHL streaming pass but it is more expensive than similar streaming options for other professional sports (Gamecenter included).

Looks like I will be getting my hockey fix with the Trenton Titans. They got quite an infusion of Phantoms talent due to the lockout:

http://www.philly.co...to_Trenton.html

Premium tickets are only $23 and the most expensive seat in the house is $30. Anyone else planning on checking them out?

I'll have to get my "fix" with the Idaho Steelheads I guess...

I am most interested in seeing Hovinen in person. I wouldn't have gotten that chance if he went to Glen Falls, but we have a great opportunity to check him out in Trenton.

You'll have to post an update once you see him. Shame he didn't make the AHL but the season is young yet...

Wedgewood played well. Much of the first and third period were played in the Titan's defensive zone. Wedgewood moved well side to side down low. Both goals that the Royals scored were hard shots that just tricked in, one between the arm and the jersey and one in his skates. He made several solid glove saves as well. It was an impressive win by the Titans as they controlled the entire game from the opening shot on net.

@hf101 Thanks...this lock out could be just what the doctor ordered for the NJ goaltending situation. Wedge gets to work on his game, with some of the best youngsters in the world playing in the AHL, and does not miss any NHL time....perfect scenario for the Devs.