McKeen magazine Flyer prospect report....

jammer2

This is kind of an annual thing I did at Philly.com (feel dirty typing that name...lol). Every year McKeens magazine comes out with the best hockey magazine in history, the McKeen's Hockey Pool Yearbook. Since I know a lot of people either don't buy it or can't get it....I re-type word for word the reports on our top 4 prospects each year....I love these reports, not only the Flyers, they are just deadly accurate on every player/prospect there is. Love the report on Welly, agree with every word.

Here goes...

1)Scott Laughton Center Oshawa Generals 18 yrs 6'0 180 pounds 3 out of 5 stars...

Locked down the first round draft berth with an eye opening performance winning bronze for Canada at the Under 18 World Juniors...7 games, 2 goals, 5 assists, 7 points in the tourny total. Found prime ice time scarce to begin his second full season with Oshawa (25-3-912 to open season), but steadily gained influence en route to a breakout final 4 months (39-18-23-41)...versatile playmaker...business like efficent over flashy...displays a strong feel for the game...two steps ahead of the play....driven by excellent anticipation and hockey sense...not a dangler, yet does have a fine touch on the puck...puckhandling is economical and productive...talented passer, with deft one touch skills...a knack to getting his stick to puck in checking situations...tough competitor has some jam...drives to the hard areas and to the front of the net...despite not being overly big or powerful, added 10 pounds muscle last off season and must continue to strengthen a decent sized frame...character player...more here than initally hits the eye.

2)Nick Cousins 19 yrs Sault.Ste Marie Greyhounds Center 5'10 165 pounds 2.5 out of 5 stars

Assumed the top spot when Daniel Catenacci was traded last summer and soared to an 88 point breakout and a 5th place tie in the overall OHL scoring race....recorded team and career highs in goals, assists and points and was named Team MVP...skilled playmaker with good hockey sense...undersized but gritty and industrious...uses his body and low center of gravity to get inside checks and create seperation in traffic....agitates, chirps, gets under the oppositions skin...usually around the play...has a nose for the puck...confident in possession..creates time with nifty stickhandling manuvers...over extends himself however, trying to do to much...creataive, slippery in tight quarters, rotates clockwise with puck on his backhand, spinning off pressure and into lanes to the net...boasts a good quick shooting release...smooth, compact skater with quickness and stability...boasts a nice change of pace and decieving lateral agility, turn and direction changes are tight and effortless...needs to get stronger and continue to elevate his defensive consistancy..not always running on full throttle on the backcheck...

3)Eric Gustafsson 23 yrs Defence Adirondack Phantoms/Flyers 5'11 200 lbs 2.5 stars out of 5

Made quite an impression in his NHL debut...thrown to the wolves in Game 5 replacing the injured Nicklas Grossmann...turned heads with a spirited compete level, battling tooth and nail with Pittsburgh's superstar Evgeni Malkin...Steadily broke through in the second half,and would have done so sooner if not for a Novemeber wrist injury that requried surgery and cost him over 2 months, 22 games....busy two way player...strong, resourceful skater, quick first step, strong reversals, improvising footwork to suit the situation...acclerates to top speed rapidly thanks to a smooth stride that is long and powerful...adept to using his stocky wide frame to win and mantain possession....vulerable to getting beat to the outside 1 on 1, but doesen't give up on plays and will finish checks with athority despite being undersized, compensates with determination and tenactiy...assertive and confident on both sides of the puck.....sneaky and unpredictable...makes unique cuts to open outlet lanes....likes to fire long quick strikes,. exploiting his fast hands...could be more patient at times as he gets over-exuberant when he spots a laneway...should be a regular.

4)Eric Wellwood 22 yrs Left Wing Adirondack Phantoms/Flyers 5'11 180 lbs 2.5 stars out of 5

Impressed in a February call up and continued to be effective in an impressive NHL playoff debut...failed to record a point but energized the Flyers with his relentless hustle and speed...high octane, mid-sized winger is a remarkable skater...generates an explosive burst from a wide, bow-legged stride...hits top speed within steps...exceptional diagonal quickness adds to his elusiveness...uses lateral jumps to escape finishing checks and stay in the play....creates turnovers with his tenacity and closing speed, forcing opponents to hasten decisons...lunges stick and body to impede passing lanes...sustains attack pressure by winning races to loose pucks...made significant gains in his defensive play...adequate puckhandler, gaining poise, learning to slow the game down and better exploit open space...emits bursts of creativity...albiet does run out of ideas....must add mass and muscle to lean upper body...getting stronger on the puck and adding velocity to a tame shot...will allow him to better capitalize on the numereous chances his speed and industry manufacture.

I can re-type other prospects if anyone wants to know about a particular player, they only list 4 or 5 per team though, and have all regular players....Just love how accurate and detailed these scouring reports are!!

Thanks for typing that up for us jammer. i agree the report seems quite accurate.

Cousins seems to be off to a strong start considering the circumstances. Hopefully the charges he faces are untrue and will be dropped.

@jammer2

McKeen's is the best. I trust it and Red Line Report more than any other when it comes to prospects.

"more here than initially hits the eye" about sums it up on Laughton. Red Line Report had very similar things to say and had Laughton going 12th. Fans are gonna love him in a few years. So far this year: 8 pts in 7 games with Oshawa, 15 PIMs (all fights I think).

What's not to like?

@Podein25 Yeah, he had the game tying and overtime goals in the Generals victory a few days ago. The only time the Generals come to Windsor is Sunday December 9th...which conflicts with a NFL Sunday.....I will probably break my "no miss NFL Sunday rule" and get some tics for this one!

@Podein25 I've never missed a Flyer prospect coming to town, so missing a 1st rounder is pretty much out of the question...would not be able to live with myself missing his only visit in...Pretty sure the last time I missed a Flyer prospect coming to town was a young Tim Kerr when he was playing with Kingston Canadians.....it was minus 10 and my ride didn't show...ha ha.

edit, well, at least I've seen them once, for instance I'm missing Nick Cousins and his Greyhounds tonight to watch Game 5 of the Tigers vs A's Divisional Series. Elimination game trumps Flyers prospects...at least in my books.

@jammer2

It's not til the end of Jan turns out.

I want to see this kid Carrier play from Cape Breton. Horrible team, but he's in on the scoring for most of their goals. He's likely to be available in that 18-24 range of the draft. Interesting mix of skill, speed, grit and leadership. Perfect Flyer IMO.

of

@Podein25 I have now seen Horvat ranked around the #20 spot...did not know this was his draft year. That tells me it's a really deep draft, maybe even top 5 all time if a super talented kid like Bo Horvat is not in the top 20 prospects...wow, that is stunning.

@Phillygrump Nah, I really doubt we would see Cousins in any capacity for the Flyers this year. His only real shot (which really, was not even realisitic) was to fill the net and play great during a normal exhibition season...the way it looks now, they will have a one week version of training camp, so I doubt he is even there for that. The only way I see him playing is 3 or 4 injuries at center to the Flyers, then they could call him up as an emergency replacement...probably even then it would be one of those 10 game try-outs deals, in order to save a year of his entry level elegibility.