Manipulators, Myths & Minions

idahophilly

Ed Snider is the poster boy for what's wrong with the owners.

If you mean he has more money than sense and does not give two $hits about his fellow owners and what they think......I would give him Uncle Sam type poster boy status. As a fan I appreciate he does everything in his power to put a winner on the ice but you would have to be mad to not see him as the ring leader for pushing the envelope of any CBA. It is his win at any cost attitude that has us where we are today.....

• Like 1

If you mean he has more money than sense and does not give two $hits about his fellow owners and what they think......I would give him Uncle Sam type poster boy status. As a fan I appreciate he does everything in his power to put a winner on the ice but you would have to be mad to not see him as the ring leader for pushing the envelope of any CBA. It is his win at any cost attitude that has us where we are today.....

Well, we could have an owner who doesn't care about winning...

@brelic "Where's the raw deal? I just don't really see it. Can it be tweaked? Sure, but no way is it grossly unfair or 'raw'."

It's grossly unfair. It's the owners problem...and they are trying to solve it on the backs of the players...AGAIN. The owners are the ones overspending, they created this mess. The league is making profit hand over fist, the fact they can't divide it up properly is not the players fault. You can only got to the well so many times asking for concessions. If your boss was continaually asking for concessions....like 25% of your salary concessions, and tried to starve you out to get it, you would be livid....like get a gun and blow his head off livid.

I don't see a 50/50 split as grossly unfair. I don't even think a 55/45 split for the owners is unfair. "Unfair" is very subjective, IMO, when it comes to the compensation package and benefits that modern professional athletes receive.

But I think you kinda hit the nail on the head when you say the "league" is making profit. But when you break it down by owner, some are making handsome profits, and many others are in the red or bankrupt. How many teams in the last 5 years have been saved by the league? Is that 3 now (Pens, Devils, Coyotes)? How many are on the brink?

To put it another way, imagine you're an employee at Apple, and your boss says he's going to roll back your salary by 25%. You ask why, since Apple has $100 billion in cash.. wtf?? And he says, well, *we* may be raking in the dough, but you know, it's tough times for Research in Motion, Dell, H-P, and Microsoft.

If you're a player in Philly, why wouldn't you be thinking "why the heck do I have to take a paycut to save Phoenix and Jersey???"

I know the link between the two isn't perfect, but you get the idea. I guess fundamentally, I disagree with revenue sharing. That means those markets cannot support teams.

@brelic I really think that 50/50 split has some political agenda interlaced through it. That is the owners version of 50/50, with the HRR and Escrow strongly reformed in their favour. It's probably far less than 60/40 when you subtract the owners HRR tampering.

If the league does not address revenue sharing, (not necessarily in favour of it, more of a free market guy also) than it better look at speeding up the re-location process. That's the whole problem I have with the owners agenda....instead of addressing thier own shortfalls, they are looking to push things on the players, when the solution clearly lies in revenue sharing or re-location and or a bit of both sprinkled in.

@brelic I really think that 50/50 split has some political agenda interlaced through it. That is the owners version of 50/50, with the HRR and Escrow strongly reformed in their favour. It's probably far less than 60/40 when you subtract the owners HRR tampering.

If the league does not address revenue sharing, (not necessarily in favour of it, more of a free market guy also) than it better look at speeding up the re-location process. That's the whole problem I have with the owners agenda....instead of addressing thier own shortfalls, they are looking to push things on the players, when the solution clearly lies in revenue sharing or re-location and or a bit of both sprinkled in.

I agree that the 50/50 split was a PR move by the owners. They knew that most fans thought "hey, 50/50 sounds fair, why don't they just do that and sign the deal??", so they used that to their advantage, and slipped in some clauses that were favourable to them.

But it is a negotiation, and both sides are using the media as a tool, so what can you expect? I'm just happy it isn't covered by the likes of Fox or CNN! Can you imagine the ridiculous spin they would put on it? Yikes! The election coverage is bad enough!!