Could "Bryzo" go on waivers a third time?

Guest The Quigster

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This guy is a professional black hole,maybe its time to take another look at Leighton.

At knee jerk I was going to say no more Leighton, but after a second, why the hell not. Start Bob, and spell on B2B and every few games in general with Leaky.

Don't think Bryz can be waived though, sorry to ruin the bubble.

The doom and gloomers out in full force

we who complain about bryz have a legit gripe. we all have eye's and know a little about hockey. bryz is looking like a revolving door of goalies who play for the flyers. you can keep drinking your koolaide but us diehard flyers fans expect better from someone taking up 10% of the cap

The doom and gloomers out in full force

Bryz was bad early on, and deserved a little time to get acclimated. But after 31 games (23 GP for Bryz), I'm sorry, but an .896 sav % does not cut the $51M mustard, $10m of which he is receiving this year. Now, salary does not make a player better. Whether or not Bryz is paid $1M or $25M per year, he is what he is. So far, it just seems like we got completely duped on what he really is.

So, you can call it doom and gloom, but 23 GP on a team at the top of the conference is a pretty good sample size. Bryz's numbers make it seem like he plays for Columbus.

we who complain about bryz have a legit gripe. we all have eye's and know a little about hockey. bryz is looking like a revolving door of goalies who play for the flyers. you can keep drinking your koolaide but us diehard flyers fans expect better from someone taking up 10% of the cap

I have played the sport for 20 yrs or so I know what I am seeing. I don't drink the koolaid. But to already say put him on waivers or trade him it is just not gonna happen. The d has not played that well all season. the flyers are expecting the rookies to fill big holes on d. breezy was hung out to dry on allot of those goals today. there is no other option then to ride breezy and see where it goes. i mean i am not trying to start an argument but if some of the posters on here were a nhl gm, guys would be traded and dumped in a heart beat.

Breez goes something like 9-1-1 in recent games, lays an egg, now should be put on waivers? What have you done for me lately? They are battling for 1st place in the East, a point or two out of tops in the league and people want to see what Leighton can do?

here are a few thing to realize:

1. bryzgalov is not a franchise goalie. he's a really good goalie, but he isn't one of those 4 or 5 otherworldly elite goalies.

2. games like today are going to happen. really, they happen to everyone, but are going to happen to bryzgalov more than, say tim thomas. but not as much as, say, michael leighton.

3. bryzgalov's sv% is going to come up. by season's end, that lost-in-the-woods bit will be lost statistically, and he'll have decent .91something numbers. as it stands, those 5 bad games still make up 25% of his total starts. the numbers get pushed around pretty easily at this point.

4. bryzgalov can't be waived. no movement clause means he can't be put in a situation to be moved.

5. as we saw for 6 games, the team can win in front of him. yes, his contract is dumb, but it isn't like we're talking about robert esche here. over the course of a season, bryzgalov can be the goalie behind a winning team. yes, i'd rather the team wasn't married to him, but they are, and that by itself isn't going to kill them.

I have played the sport for 20 yrs or so I know what I am seeing. I don't drink the koolaid. But to already say put him on waivers or trade him it is just not gonna happen. The d has not played that well all season. the flyers are expecting the rookies to fill big holes on d. breezy was hung out to dry on allot of those goals today. there is no other option then to ride breezy and see where it goes. i mean i am not trying to start an argument but if some of the posters on here were a nhl gm, guys would be traded and dumped in a heart beat.

first thing i wanted the flyers to go after bryz, the dude was a shut down goalie and the only reason PHX made the playoffs last year. but here he looks no better than leighton. remember leighton looked awesome 2 years ago then choked. he lets in to many soft goals open your eyes and you will see that.

here are a few thing to realize:

1. bryzgalov is not a franchise goalie. he's a really good goalie, but he isn't one of those 4 or 5 otherworldly elite goalies.

2. games like today are going to happen. really, they happen to everyone, but are going to happen to bryzgalov more than, say tim thomas. but not as much as, say, michael leighton.

3. bryzgalov's sv% is going to come up. by season's end, that lost-in-the-woods bit will be lost statistically, and he'll have decent .91something numbers. as it stands, those 5 bad games still make up 25% of his total starts. the numbers get pushed around pretty easily at this point.

4. bryzgalov can't be waived. no movement clause means he can't be put in a situation to be moved.

5. as we saw for 6 games, the team can win in front of him. yes, his contract is dumb, but it isn't like we're talking about robert esche here. over the course of a season, bryzgalov can be the goalie behind a winning team. yes, i'd rather the team wasn't married to him, but they are, and that by itself isn't going to kill them.

Stop making sense! Fire all the things!!!

Hello again and "Merry Christmas"! I think all the signs were available to the "Go get a HOF goalie Now committee".Whatever Bryzo does,he has done it before for the Sharks,Ducks and Coyotes,no surprises here. He comes apart with any pressure(real or imagined),scrums in the crease area are a major problem,not physically aggressive(like Hexie). When Bryzo goes down,he stays down,slow recovery, not a make the save at any cost goalie. Bryzo=BooBoo and a "Happy New Year"

Pretty sure the waivers thing is a joke, but the D didn't hang him out to dry - Bryz sucked. Bob let one in (soft IMO), but also made a few spectacular saves. Bob was 16 of 17, and played more time. Did a new team show up at the same time? No.

The team D is better than last year, probably because the forwards are back checking. Either way, a competent goalie is the biggest factor. Bryz is not the guy right now.

Was Bryz this slow in his previous towns too? It takes him an hour to go post to post.

Bryz was bad early on, and deserved a little time to get acclimated. But after 31 games (23 GP for Bryz), I'm sorry, but an .896 sav % does not cut the $51M mustard, $10m of which he is receiving this year. Now, salary does not make a player better. Whether or not Bryz is paid $1M or $25M per year, he is what he is. So far, it just seems like we got completely duped on what he really is.

So, you can call it doom and gloom, but 23 GP on a team at the top of the conference is a pretty good sample size. Bryz's numbers make it seem like he plays for Columbus.

And a 817% on the PK for the season. Bob has a .900% on the PK in comparison.

Terrible.

With the quoted stat he is 65th out 71 goalies in the NHL!!!!!

Holy schit that is bad...

first thing i wanted the flyers to go after bryz, the dude was a shut down goalie and the only reason PHX made the playoffs last year. but here he looks no better than leighton. remember leighton looked awesome 2 years ago then choked. he lets in to many soft goals open your eyes and you will see that.

also keep in mind out in AZ that team preached D all the time. Lavy system is sort of a run and gun type offensive type style. so you will see allot more odd man rushes vs the flyers and 2 on 1's down low

first thing i wanted the flyers to go after bryz, the dude was a shut down goalie and the only reason PHX made the playoffs last year.

see, there's the problem. you bought into that pile of horseshit.

for a guy who is getting uppity about hockey knowledge and people drinking koolaid and how they should open their eyes, you bit right into the big plate of empty hype that was served to you six months ago. dude was not a shutdown goalie, and was not the only reason PHX made the playoffs. bryzgalov had 3 statistically high-end seasons in a 6 year career and crapped the bed in a big way in each of his playoff runs with the coyotes. and, hey, there's PHX right back on the PO bubble this season just like they were when bryzgalov was in net for them.

so, maybe you want to dial back on the "open your eyes and you'll see that" nonsense, given you were one of the blissfully blind people chanting bryzgalov's name last may. you are the knee jerk public snider felt he had to appease in bringing this albatross to philly to begin with.

So we are in the same boat as in seasons past for goalies? In order for illyuck to succeed, I guess we better bring in Tippet and rebuild our d again. Trade Mez, Carle and sometimes Coburn when he can't play defense. Build the Flyers just like the Coyotes then, trade away high price offense players, i.e. JVR (starting next year), Hartnell and Briere. Bring in Weber, Suter and other guys that can actually play d. Keep young guys like Giroux and other offensive players who are on cheap contracts. That would be alot of changes to mask his flaws and the mistake by management.

Seriously? So, we should just ignore 25% of the games in which he laid an egg? 23 GP is a good sample size, including all his games. One of those 'bad' games just happened to be yesterday. His numbers were much much better in the winning streak, but he still allowed one bad goal per game, and in 2 or 3 of those games, we spotted the other team 2 or 3 goals... The offense carried those wins, not Bryz and not the defense.

Seriously? So, we should just ignore 25% of the games in which he laid an egg?

if he ends the season with 60 starts and 20 of them were terrible, then blast away. right now, with 23 starts, the run of 5 bad games are pulling his numbers way down.

besides, what do you mean "ignore"? you can freak out all you want about what ever you want. you aren't going to make a desicion on what to do with him or his contract, so you can take whatever point of view you'd like. my point was if we are going to examine his stats at this point of the season, that one particular sting of bad starts are weighing way more heavily than they will by season's end.

to make my point more clear, if you remove that string of bad games from oct 15th through oct 27th, but leave the rest of his up-and-down play, he would have a 2.45gaa and a .914sv%. again, that is including the less-than-stellar starts he has had outside of those 5 games. that his how much those few games are influencing his to-date stats. i agree with you, he has not been great, not even close to worth his salary, BUT his play outside of that lost in the woods run has been adequate. by season's end, when those 5 games represent 8% of his starts instead of 25%, his numbers will be much closer to on-track with the rest of his career.

he was still a mistake we will be able to bitch about for just shy of the next decade, but you are allowing statistical anomolies to influence your arguement.