Goaltending

Guest LeafSuck16

Bob has let in some soft goals but not as many as Bryz has at this point. Bryz needs to learn how to stay focused.Too many times he is watching the game on the ice and then he is like a dog seeing a SQUIRREL!!! and stops paying attention to what is transpiring in front of him...

well... we haven't seen bob start as much as bryz, so who knows how many softies he'd let in. anyway, suffice it to say... we're not getting the goaltending we're paying for. we probably have the highest $'s to goaltending tandem in the league, but i think we are also collectively at the bottom in many of the goalie stat categories.... combined.

just terrible. what a disappointment.

Since you brought up NJ, maybe we can do what they did. Trade Bryz to a team along with 1ST RD pick for each year they take on his contract. If he retires early then the deal ends there, I know it's a steep price but only way I see another team takes him or they might be desperate in goal like we were. Tell Bryz to waive the NMC cause he owes us big time for that contract, no other gm would've gave him that much cash.

Edited by Vincent05

Since you brought up NJ, maybe we can do what they did. Trade Bryz to a team along with 1ST RD pick for each year they take on his contract. If he retires early then the deal ends there, I know it's a steep price but only way I see another team takes him or they might be desperate in goal like we were. Tell Bryz to waive the NMC cause he owes us big time for that contract, no other gm would've gave him that much cash.

The thing is, Bryz has proven over a few seasons that he can play at a high level. With every passing game, though, I think we're seeing how much of that high level of play can be attributed to the situation in Phoenix (whether it be coaching, team system, personnel, etc).

Since you brought up NJ, maybe we can do what they did. Trade Bryz to a team along with 1ST RD pick for each year they take on his contract.

That mofo can ride the pine or sit in the pressbox before I would ever think about doing that NJ type of deal. In fact- I would never do that.

I know we are all pretty sore here (me included). On the bright side of the road, Bryz has been the goalie that anchored both a 5 and 7 game win streak. I know that a few of those wins were in spite of him and not due to him. Truthfully, I don't see him going anywhere for at least two more years. His salary next year goes down to 6.5m and then back UP to 8m the following season. So, more than likely, Bryz will want that payday. That will total 24.5 (8.175m per season) for first three years. Thats nearly half the value of the contract.

The only other thing I can think of that the team pulls a "Checkmanek" on him and just shoots at his head every practice.

OK, I'd rather kill him.

Bob has let in some soft goals but not as many as Bryz has at this point. Bryz needs to learn how to stay focused.Too many times he is watching the game on the ice and then he is like a dog seeing a SQUIRREL!!! and stops paying attention to what is transpiring in front of him...

a great way to put it.... I used to think that his "watching the game" was him being the "cool, calm and collected goalie" that was signed in the offseason

@radoran

This has a boiling mess written all over it.

You are, unfortunately, right. I see this somewhat akin to the "must sign a #1 C" debate over Briere/Drury/Gomez a few years back. The Flyers ABSOLUTELY HAD TO HAVE one of those "top flight, can't miss" guys.

The fact we got Briere, who turned out to be the cheapest and best of the three, is small consolation when they didn't "need" to do that - and they had Richards/Crater already in the system and had drafted Giroux the year before... The guys that also "had to sign one of them" and wound up with Drury and Gomez - how'd that work out for them?

They didn't "need" to go after a goalie, aside from their esteemed 78-year-old owner who really *really* wants another Cup... They certainly didn't "need" one for the NEXT NINE YEARS.

On that note, I absolutely could see Bryz taking a "waiver" out of town - but not for a few years.

You are, unfortunately, right. I see this somewhat akin to the "must sign a #1 C" debate over Briere/Drury/Gomez a few years back. The Flyers ABSOLUTELY HAD TO HAVE one of those "top flight, can't miss" guys.

The fact we got Briere, who turned out to be the cheapest and best of the three, is small consolation when they didn't "need" to do that - and they had Richards/Crater already in the system and had drafted Giroux the year before... The guys that also "had to sign one of them" and wound up with Drury and Gomez - how'd that work out for them?

They didn't "need" to go after a goalie, aside from their esteemed 78-year-old owner who really *really* wants another Cup... They certainly didn't "need" one for the NEXT NINE YEARS.

On that note, I absolutely could see Bryz taking a "waiver" out of town - but not for a few years.

Don't get me going rad. I'm trying to learn to accept ONE of Holmgrens longterm signings.

I just have to chuckle at the fact that we're still having a goalie debate this year.

Some things never change :P

Must be coach in 2012, right rad? Even year, coach, odd year, goalie.

Must be coach in 2012, right rad? Even year, coach, odd year, goalie.

Yep. Lavy will have "mismanaged the goalie situation" and "lost the room" after the playoffs.

Then in 2013 it's Bryzgalov's fault. And 2015. And 2017...

More consistent? No improvement? Clown? That stinker was his second regular season loss in 6 weeks, c'mon. Back to back Buf/Pitt Ws then he kept us in a 0-0 Caps game until the Vok started leaking all the way to tops in the Conf with injuries galore. Let's see how recovers from this one

More consistent? No improvement? Clown? That stinker was his second regular season loss in 6 weeks, c'mon. Back to back Buf/Pitt Ws then he kept us in a 0-0 Caps game until the Vok started leaking all the way to tops in the Conf with injuries galore. Let's see how recovers from this one

It may only have been his 2nd regular season loss, but we could have had a goalie making 6 bucks an hour with the same record. He's looked like a lousy backup goalie most games. I admit he's had a few good games too. But that's what a crappy goalie does, have a few good ones. He's supposed to do that regularly, and he's not.

That's funny, but a little harsh. It has been a rougher go on home ice, but Bryz has given up 2 or less goals in 10 of last 15 games, all Ws.

Jimmy Howard (having a great season) has done that 11 times in his last 15; Thomas 9 times (5! SOs); Lu 8; Vokun 7 and the FlowerPot's got only 4 petals. So, again, let's see how he bounces back 2nt. It's a loooong season.