10 Game Suspension for Scott Laughton

hf101

8 members have voted

1. 1. 10 Game OHL Suspension??

• Too Much
    • Not enough
    • Just Right

Scott Laughton was suspended for 10 games according to the Ontario Hockey League. The OHL reasoning is here.

The Philadelphia Flyers prospect, selected in the first round of the 2012 NHL Draft, threw a blindside hit to the head of an opponent last night in an OHL game. You can see the video above. It doesn't appear as though there was an serious injury to the recipient of the hit, Ottawa 67's winger Daniel Walsh, but that doesn't make the hit any less awful.

Even worse, it came late in a tied hockey game, and the five minute major penalty for a check to the head put Laughton's Oshawa Generals on the penalty kill for the final two and a half minutes of the third period and for half of the overtime period. He was also ejected from the game.

By all accounts, Laughton isn't a dirty player, but one of the reasons the Flyers drafted him is because he plays the game with a Mike Richards-esque edge.

http://www.broadstre...side-ohl-flyers

Not a nice hit but he kept his elbow to his side and did not try to make contact with the guys head. I understand they are trying to remove head shots from the game and the fact that he made contact with the guys head did make this a suspension worthy offense but the only reason he got ten games is because he was drafted by the Flyers........ :rolleyes:

Pretty much agree with flyerrod... it looks like he missed his check and ended up making primary contact with the head. I'm not very familiar with the OHL but I don't disagree with their reasoning.

I think 10 games is a fine punishment. Those are the kinda hits they are looking to take out of the game, looks to me like he targeted the head. However, his elbow was tucked in, it's a real fine line, you *should* hit an opponent in possession of the puck, just gotta be more careful. Better Scott learn this lesson now, rather than a few years from now when he's a Flyer.

• Like 1

Trying to take those hits out of the game is fine. How about taking out the armour plated elbow pads, which are what causes most of the injuries in those type of hits. It's a friggin' joke they let people play with those things on. They're probably the worst weapon there is on the rink.

• Like 2

I understand they are trying to remove head shots from the game and the fact that he made contact with the guys head did make this a suspension worthy offense

yup, totally agree.

but the only reason he got ten games is because he was drafted by the Flyers........

haha

Trying to take those hits out of the game is fine. How about taking out the armour plated elbow pads, which are what causes most of the injuries in those type of hits. It's a friggin' joke they let people play with those things on. They're probably the worst weapon there is on the rink.

Very well said! They should also take the armor plated shoulder pads away as well. With that kind of weapons, no wonder there are a lot of concussions.

@flyercanuck The armour plated elbow pads (and shoulder pads for that matter) have long been a favourite topic of Don Cherry...and deservedly so, those things gotta go!!!

When I started to play, my shoulder pads were just thick quilted cloth and my elbow pads foam (like whats inside of the hockey helmet).

@jammer2

Anyone who's felt one of those "pads" (and I use the term loosely) up close and personal at the end of an opponents elbow knows the damage they are capable of.

I took an elbow to the throat at center ice once. Of course the ref was blind and didn't see it. But I took the hit making a pass after getting a loose puck and once I got hit I just grabbed my throat and skated to the bench and apparently assisted on a goal off that pass but I didn't see it because I was too busy trying to breathe. Those things suck.

Honestly, I say keep the pads the way they are. Let's face it, players hit the glass and boards more than they hit their opponents. Especially defensemen going back to retrieve pucks when the opposition dumps it in. Those pads protect those very same elbows from the boards. I see them as more a benefit to the players than detriment. Regardless of what the player is or is not wearing, the guy doing the hitting has to reel himself in so he doesn't hit his opponent's head. Pads or no pads, an elbow to the head can be devastating. Trust me, I use it all the time in my work. ;)

@Polaris922

Look at it this way...how many players careers have ended because of elbow injury, compared to how many players careers have ended because of an elbow to the head? I mean i can't even think of ONE career ending elbow injury.

I just wonder how many more injuries there would be if we took the protection away from the elbows and shoulders. I don't know that the pads are the issue as much as the players raising an elbow. If I elbow you in the head at full speed with a pad on or without, is your brain going to move less inside your skull? If the helmets have nothing to do with concussions and can't protect from them, then it's not the material striking the head so much as it is the strike itself. Countless concussion studies make it pretty clear that it's the brain hitting the skull not the object hitting the head that matters. If I hit you with my elbow or forearm at 20 mph, you're just as screwed as if I'd hit you with a piece of plastic over my elbow. Removing the pad will not reduce concussions at all based on material.

The ONLY way I see this being helpful dealing with these injuries is if without anything to protect the elbow these guys start thinking of how it's going to hurt them to strike someone that way. If I know bringing my elbow up might shatter it I might be less inclined to do so. But bringing elbows up before a collision is thought of by some to be a natural protective reflex... so I dunno...

Would you rather get beat in the head with an aluminum baseball bat or a nerf bat?

Your elbow is hardly a nerf. If it is, you better see a doctor ;) The elbow is every bit as hard as the plastic pad they use on elbow guards. I understand and respect your point, I just think it's more about the players' mindsets than the equipment.

I just wonder how many more injuries there would be if we took the protection away from the elbows and shoulders.

I completely disagree with this. I think you modify your play to your increased vulnerability. I don't mind the shin guards- particularly in higher level of play leagues as the shooters / sticks are pretty lethal. But the elbo and shoulder pads can and should be reduced to non military armor. What you will see is players becoming more responsible and less reckless with their style of play as they will know their vulnerability.

Your elbow is hardly a nerf. If it is, you better see a doctor ;) The elbow is every bit as hard as the plastic pad they use on elbow guards. I understand and respect your point, I just think it's more about the players' mindsets than the equipment.

The elbow may be as hard, but if it wasn't armour plated guys wouldn't be using it as a weapon. At least nowhere near as much. Just having one of those things glance off your face unintentionally is bad enough.