Most Missed ex-Flyers Currently Still Playing

Guest Digityman

Regardless of which league the are playing in, who are your top three missed ex-Flyers still playing professionally?

1) Simon Gagne - Injury prone but on the left side of Giroux and Jagr? The man knows how to finish.

2) Patrick Sharp - Over the last four years he's averaging 60pts. Works the PK. Imagine him and Talbot on the PK?

3) Mike Richards - I still think without the weight of Philly (and Carter) on his shoulders he would have been fine here.

@Digityman

Agree on Patrick Sharp..he took off after he left Philly. What a trade-I think we got Matt Ellison back? WTF???

The one that has always had me scratching my head was Dainus Zubrus..the dude just played in his 1,000 game last night..obviously he's been able to stick in this league for almost 10 years. Big kid that could skate, and we traded him away.

Brindy is retired but if this were a couple of years ago I would be right there with you. I never liked seeing him in another uniform.

My bad on that one. Once I started down the path....OH...There goes a Butterfly.......(some days I have the attention span of a gnat)

Regardless of which league the are playing in, who are your top three missed ex-Flyers still playing professionally?

1) Simon Gagne - Injury prone but on the left side of Giroux and Jagr? The man knows how to finish.

2) Patrick Sharp - Over the last four years he's averaging 60pts. Works the PK. Imagine him and Talbot on the PK?

3) Mike Richards - I still think without the weight of Philly (and Carter) on his shoulders he would have been fine here.

I'll vote for Gagne, was a true team guy and a class act.

I'll vote for Gagne, was a true team guy and a class act.

From production standpoint, Sharp was the biggest loss IMO. That was just a typical Clarke's miscalculation, misdjudgment and just about every other mis' that can be applied. That move personifies Clarke's cluelessness and reactionary tactics.

But trading Gagne was a move to free up a cap space. And I get all that. The Flyers had no interest in Matt Walker. But the truth is, good, flexible GMs find a way to keep those players who you value. I don't think there is much disagreement as to what Gagne meant to this team: highly likeable, very skilled two-way player, who also proved to be a clutch performer in the playoffs and as you put it, a true class act. I am yet to be convinced that the move was relly that necessary and there were no other ways.

Ironically, *if* that would have happened last summer instead of two years ago, and Homer woudl find himself in a spot were he would have to just give regular roster players away, I am sure he would have shipped Richards or Carter instead of Gagne without even thinking twice. Oh well......

Edited by Mad Dog

I have to admit this was a tough one for me since most of the players we traded away I was fine with trading them. Gagne was a tough trade but 2 things kept me from getting hung up on it, he was possibly one hit away from done and his contract. If we held him through the end of his contract, would he have taken a pay cut to stay with the team? Sharp was one of those players at the time I didn't ,mind the trade because while he was here he had yet to hit his potential. Of course hindsight being 20/20 I can say sure I'd love to have him back but at the time of the trade it didn't really bother me all that much. It would've been nice at the time to hold onto youth though.

After reading a bunch of posts in this thread I'm gonna have to agree with Zubrus. I liked him when we had him, wasn't quite sure why we gave up on him and had gone on to have a nice career, as well as some good games against the Flyers.

The one that has always had me scratching my head was Dainus Zubrus..the dude just played in his 1,000 game last night..obviously he's been able to stick in this league for almost 10 years. Big kid that could skate, and we traded him away.

The Flyers wanted Recchi back more than they wanted Zubrus, so I can kind of understand the trade. At the same time, it's mildly surprising that given the type of game he plays and the fact that they drafted him, the Flyers never seemed to have much interest in signing him as a FA.

Interesting fact: the 2nd rounder the Flyers sent with Zubrus to Montreal turned into Matt Carkner.

Sharp and Richards... don't know how it would have been possible to demote 18 and keep him in the fold, but i liked his game when he played it...

as for gagne, when he took that big shot in last year's playoffs i thought he was done, he's had a history of concussions and with our luck that shot would have him in crosby country.

but like gagne i think richard's game took a toll on his not large frame , he isn't known for being a fitness nut, so maybe it works out that his career levels out and he's just a really good 2 way player not a guy that could take over a game...

dennis seidenberg would probably be a serviceable defenseman for us... just saying he's logging big minutes in beantown i know his partner is chara and that doesn't hurt him any but, he'd be better than lilja &, walker...

Sharp and Richards... don't know how it would have been possible to demote 18 and keep him in the fold, but i liked his game when he played it...

as for gagne, when he took that big shot in last year's playoffs i thought he was done, he's had a history of concussions and with our luck that shot would have him in crosby country.

but like gagne i think richard's game took a toll on his not large frame , he isn't known for being a fitness nut, so maybe it works out that his career levels out and he's just a really good 2 way player not a guy that could take over a game...

dennis seidenberg would probably be a serviceable defenseman for us... just saying he's logging big minutes in beantown i know his partner is chara and that doesn't hurt him any but, he'd be better than lilja &, walker...

So would Chris Therien.....(be a better d-man than either of those 2...)

Future third: Bobrovsky

I think you might be right. Maybe even this year before the trade deadline. Get a serviceable backup with a lower salary and what homer might think is a/the missing piece. Which is? I don't know right now. This team is playing good enough hockey to be in first place.