Actual Progress?

flyerrod

It looks like the grunts (Bill Daly and Steve Fehr) are actually doing more than going through the motions. I am guessing it is easier to talk when the ten year old in the room(Gary Bettman) does not have his fingers in his ears yelling NO!NO!NO! non stop.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/177160641.html

@flyerrod

Actually I thought there are a few things brought up in that article that I found interesting.

Among other things, the owners have proposed to 1) artificially inflate the salary cap in Year 1 so teams don’t have to trade or release players; 2) trade player salary and cap charges in trades (this is something both teams and players have wanted); 3) eliminate re-entry waivers; 4) Increase revenue sharing with further increases as revenues grow, and the top grossing teams making the biggest contributions (revenue sharing is something Don Fehr is passionate about; wants it so the teams that really need assistance are assisted); 5) Introduction of appeal rights to a neutral third-party arbitrator in cases involving on- and- off-ice discipline (player-proposed wish).

Some other things that the players should like:

1) Joint NHL/NHLPA Health and Safety Committee with equal representation by the league and union; 2) Establishment of a “standard of care” and “primary allegiance” obligations between the team medical staff and players (this is directly due to the tragic Derek Boogaard situation that remains ongoing); 3) Offseason rehab activities would no longer be required in the team’s home city; 4) Players have access to second medical opinions at the club expense; 5) Ice time restrictions and days off during training camp; 5) Improved facility standards in visiting locker rooms; 6) Ice condition improvements and standards; 7) More player friendly rules for parent-son trips, teams would have to pay for parents travel and lodging to first-ever games, other milestones; 8) Different standards for rent and mortgage reimbursements from teams; 9) increased access to tickets for visiting players and also a game ticket policy that minimizes the tax impact on players; 10) And also, the league has agreed to consider a player proposal for single rooms for all players on the road, which would be thousands of extra dollars spent on travel. Typically, players share rooms on the road unless you’re a longstanding player (600 games), or in a lot of cases, goaltenders.

I'd like to see re-entry waivers eliminated. More revenue sharing among the owners via luxury tax or other means. A neutral third party arbitrator would be great as well.

I wonder if Flyers teams of the past were allowed to seek a second opinion .........hmmm some interesting stuff there for sure.

I can see why the players would want equal standards to the various teams.....but I don't see that all of the owners going for that. As for single rooms for all of the players.......Lindros would have probably died if that were the norm.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/ugly-mood-descends-on-lockout-talks-but-sides-still-talking/article5157012/?cmpid=rss1

And yet again the Owners are trying to discredit Don Fehr with false accusations making false statements to the media. Bettman and Daly still do not comprehend that the strength of Fehr comes from his communication skills. Bettman and Daly still think they are locking horns with Goodenow and that is a criminal mistake.

I am enjoying the Grand Rapids Griffins and doing my best to ignore the millionaires disputing with billionaires over how to split up our money. I dont see another Shanny summit revitalizing the game if/when these clowns get their **** together and the fans in non traditional markets will vote with their apathy on who won the lockout. Nobody.

I am enjoying the Grand Rapids Griffins and doing my best to ignore the millionaires disputing with billionaires over how to split up our money. I dont see another Shanny summit revitalizing the game if/when these clowns get their **** together and the fans in non traditional markets will vote with their apathy on who won the lockout. Nobody.

One thing that needs to be remembered...this is not a strike, it is a lockout. That is the reason we have no NHL hockey. The Billionaires. The Billionaires are the ones who picked up the puck and stormed home...not the players. The Players have no choice but to make a stand on the dictatorial type Agreement being put out by Bettman and crew. They keep accusing of Fehr not giving the players the whole story when you have players IN THE ROOM for the negotiations. Bettman and Daly are trying everything in their limited little minds to cause dissension in the Union ranks. Fehr has seen this tactic by Bettman and Daly before...TWICE. He knew before the first negotiation took place he was going to have to first and foremost, keep people informed of what exactly the owners are offering. Even when his "player only" Memo somehow makes it's way to the media, it tells exactly what is being offered. His willingness to talk to any player at any time maintains the trust of the players. Bettman and Daly are pissing in the dirt, then picking it up and throwing at Fehr hoping it will stick. Bettman and Daly have met their match at the negotiating table, they are just too stubborn to admit it yet.