I know the talks are in secret but...

Guest King Knut

The sticking point is said to be about whether or not the new rules will apply to existing contracts.

My question is, if they weren't applied, what is the league suggesting be done with existing contracts that violate the new rules (i.e. Pronger, Weber, Bryzgalov, Crosby, Kovalchuck, etc)?

Anyone have any ideas?

I think the biggest sticking point at the moment is the players want to be sure the contracts they signed will be honored and not cut back by a certain percentage. I say, suck it up, 10% off for everyone so they can lower the cap and be done with this lockout crap.

The thing that really bothers me is that everything seemed to be running fine until the CBA expired, then the league makes it sound like we the NHL has been in the crapper for years. Why didn't the NHL bring up these concerns earlier instead of at the last minute? They knew the NHLers would not agree to a cut in salary, but they knew that if it came down to it a lockout would occur and in the end the players would care more than the owners. The owners knew that they could weasel their way to get more money.

They knew the NHLers would not agree to a cut in salary, but they knew that if it came down to it a lockout would occur and in the end the players would care more than the owners.

Actually the players assocition is agreeing to a cut in salary. What they are not agreeing to is that reduction be applied to existing contracts. They also had put a proposal on the table to distribute monies differently that would help the struggling teams more. I am currently p/o'd at both. WE (the fans) are where the money comes from and nobody gives a crap about us. If a whole season is lose, that is 3 BILLION dollars in revenue gone. That is MUCH more than what they are fighting about now- even spread out over the term of the next CBA. The fight now is about "caving" and "upper hand". The PA feels if they given in, then they will be whipping posts forever more. The owners thinks, who cares what the PA thinks, without us they would be serving coffee and donuts at Tim Hortons or flipping burgers at McDonalds.

At the end of the day, it is two parties of spoiled brats. No matter how you slice it. And I am sick of it. I would rather watch AHLers (who ride a bus from town to town- see slapshot, Juniors or NCAA) then pay a nickel to see these p u s s i e s (owners and players alike).

@Vanflyer Yea I know that now the players have agreed to a salary cut, but many of them are still very upset that the NHL donesnt want to honour many of the contracts that have already been signed and that irritates me, especially if they knew before hand that come september when the cba expires we want to change this. However, talks seem to be gradually getting somewhere, apparently if both sides agree on a couple little things (which isnt to say this will happen anytime soon) that it would only take a week to get everything in place, so fingers crossed.

NHL donesnt want to honour many of the contracts that have already been signed and that irritates me, especially if they knew before hand that come september when the cba expires we want to change this.

Just so I understand, you are taking the owners side of this or the players. Truthfully, I think it depends on when you signed your contract. The Webers, Suters, Parise of the world knew the deal. The players that signed two or three years ago- while not being blind (hopefully), those contracts should be honoured. And shamefully I will add, Bryz.

@Vanflyer I cant help, but side with the players (which isn't to say its all the NHL's fault), but I guess behind all the contract honouring and what not, the fact that everything seemed fine until the CBA expired and then the NHL brings up all these issues it has. I dunno talks seem to be getting somewhere so fingers crossed. I JUST WANT MY HOCKEY BACK!! :(

@Vanflyer I cant help, but side with the players (which isn't to say its all the NHL's fault), but I guess behind all the contract honouring and what not, the fact that everything seemed fine until the CBA expired and then the NHL brings up all these issues it has. I dunno talks seem to be getting somewhere so fingers crossed. I JUST WANT MY HOCKEY BACK!! :(

I have recently read allot on both sides. Aside from the issues alone, there are two things that extremely irritate me and I think that their is no excuse for:

1) The players not wanting to begin negotiations until after the playoffs were completed and then the NHL in turn not starting said negotiations until the middle of August.

2) The NHL using the "lockout" as an initial bargaining tool. That is not how labour talks / negotiations work. The NHL could have easily extended the current CBA on say a monthly basis and then if things continued to be at a stall use the lockout as a last resort- not a first resort.

The thing that is irritating the most is that it is the fans that are suffering. A settlement will come some time (this year, next year etc.) and the players will continue to be millionaires and the owners will continue being billionaires. But the fans will have lost however long of a sport they love. For the hard core fans, they will be back, for the casual fan they won't come back. In places like Phoenix and Dallas that is significant.

I would add to that the younger players (in seasons 1-3). They are losing a season (potentially) of their careers and I would imagine being a young millionaire, they just want to play hockey. It is the vets that will be the anchor and core to any agreement.

Edited by Vanflyer
  • Like 1

For the hard core fans, they will be back, for the casual fan they won't come back. In places like Phoenix and Dallas that is significant.

I absolutely agree with this, especially in Phoenix with them now making the playoffs the last few years they are at least getting some recognition and a bit of a fan base despite the low attendance during the season in the playoffs people are going crazy in the stands which is slowly getting fans into the seats, but taking the season away from people who are finally getting interested in hockey will only turn them right back off.

I absolutely agree with this, especially in Phoenix with them now making the playoffs the last few years they are at least getting some recognition and a bit of a fan base despite the low attendance during the season in the playoffs people are going crazy in the stands which is slowly getting fans into the seats, but taking the season away from people who are finally getting interested in hockey will only turn them right back off.

Even places like Winnipeg suffer- while the the support is mammoth there, the momentum of that support will suffer.